IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka.

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Empty Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka.

Post by Easy Gee Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi Guys.

I'm a real fan of these ECWCS Parka's, I have a few ,but here's some of the better examples, feel free to add your own,or comment.

I have read many pro's and con's regarding these Parka's but having owned many "wet weather" Jackets/Parka's over the years,I will say these are one of the best out there!

Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Ecws_d10 Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Ecws_d11 Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Ecws_w10 Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Ecws_w11
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Empty Re: Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka.

Post by Gulf91 Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:28 pm

I agree that they kick ass on anything(other than I guess the top end serious money Goretex)else I have owned BUT have brought it up before the hood on mine is such an awful design its next to useless.

NOW I know these are Military spec garments and not civvy high street fashion items and believe or have heard some people refer to the hoods as "Cobra" hoods and probably designed to be worn over a helmet(why would you want to??) but for everyday wear without a helmet it sucks big time.

Also,being no expert on these and only ever owned one myself I believe there are 2(maybe more) different versions,Gen1,2 etc which I guess have slight differences?
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Empty Re: Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka.

Post by Easy Gee Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Totally agree re: The "cobra" hood, horrible design, the only way I seem to be able to cope with the hood is to draw the thing really tight around my neck! I live in one of the most wet counties in the UK( if not the most wet )so I get to field trail these things out!

The examples shown are Gen 1, I need to source a Gen 2 to test that one out!

Hood withstanding,bestest Gortie on the surplus market,so far....

Thanks for looking fellow wet weather Brit Smile

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:15 pm

From your pics although cant see the hood detail on the Desert one on the Woodland one it seems to have pop studs around the lower hood/neck area of which mine doesnt.

Apart from the hood issue,really cant fault the jacket in design,layout,constuction etc.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:10 am

Gulf91 wrote:From your pics although cant see the hood detail on the Desert one on the Woodland one it seems to have pop studs around the lower hood/neck area of which mine doesnt.

Apart from the hood issue,really cant fault the jacket in design,layout,constuction etc.

Hi Gulf, the Desert one has the poppers around the hood too, so that that the fur ruff can be popped onto it, not sure of the point of this, but then saying that I wouldn't mind getting hold of one...very pricey though and not that common over here I have noticed. Wink
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:17 am

Aha,that explains a lot then as have seen a few of those fur ruffs for sale lately advertised as ECWCS but couldnt understand how as my Desert Jkt has no poppers so no idea which type mine is but disapointed to hear that even if there are 2 types the bloody hood is the same on both Evil or Very Mad
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:52 am

PS,just checked mine and its dated 2005
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:58 am

Gulf91 wrote:Aha,that explains a lot then as have seen a few of those fur ruffs for sale lately advertised as ECWCS but couldnt understand how as my Desert Jkt has no poppers so no idea which type mine is but disapointed to hear that even if there are 2 types the bloody hood is the same on both Evil or Very Mad

Hmmm, I dunno. scratch

I read somewhere that the Gen 2 had a completely different hood set up, so yours could be Gen 2, I honestly don't know mate,lets hope someone can add to this thread and clear up the mysteries for us Wink
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:00 am

Glad I know that the hood on both versions is just as awfull as I nearly bought one like yours the other day Sad
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:09 am

Yep, all bad hoods I'm afraid Gulf ,Here's some more from my collection, Gen 1 I believe!

1992 model.
     Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Dsc08010 Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Dsc08011

2002 Model
     Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Dsc08012 Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Dsc08013
    This 2002 model has unusual zip pulls, being woodland material,all the others are either beige,green,or black nylon pullers! Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Dsc08014
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:11 am

FOUND THIS INFO ON WIKIPEDIA Wink

The ECWCS parka
    The parka — which is a particularly popular component — is characterized by a cobra hood (which fits over a combat helmet) with woven nylon drawstring adjustable pulls and an attachment piece that allows fastening of a fur ruff (early models of the parka lacked this attachment piece). There is a two-way, full-front slide fastener to provide full-face protection, leaving only the eyes uncovered. The parka has Raglan shoulders/sleeves, a non-freezing, double-pull zipper with storm flap and seven snap closure, a flap-covered pocket on the left sleeve with hook and loop (Velcro) closure, adjustable hook and loop wrist cuffs, armpit ventilation zippers and double reinforced elbows. A badge/insignia tab with snap is located on the storm flap. There is an interior back ventilation opening, two slash (handwarmer) cargo pockets on the lower front (with extra large flaps and double hook and loop single snap closure on each) and an inside draft skirt (windskirt) with elastic drawcords and barrel-locks at the waist (without pulls). There are also two concealed map pockets at the front zipper with hook and loop closures that can be opened without unzipping the parka.
    [edit]2nd Generation

The second generation (2G) ECWCS includes two different layers made with Polartec fabrics: the Polartec Classic 300 shirt and the Polartec Classic 200 overalls. When used in combination with other layers in the ECWCS system, the system provides protection between +40 °F and −40 °F (+4 °C and −40 °C). 2G ECWCS is currently being worn by US Special Forces, US Army and US Air Force soldiers stationed in extreme environments from Norway and Bosnia to Afghanistan.
    [edit]3rd Generation

The third generation 3G or GEN III Extended Climate Warfighter Clothing System is a radical re-design of the system. It features seven new layers of insulation including three Polartec fabrics: two layers of Polartec Power Dry and a layer of Polartec Thermal Pro High Loft. The 12 components of the GEN III ECWCS include a lightweight undershirt and drawers, midweight shirt and drawers, fleece cold weather jacket, wind cold weather jacket, soft shell jacket and trousers, extreme cold/wet weather jacket and trousers, extreme cold weather parka and trousers. Initial fielding of the system began in August 2007 to the 73rd Cavalry Regiment in Afghanistan.[1]
    [edit]
    Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 3117

Post by Philip Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Wikipedia... not the best source. GenII was made for the USMC.

Extended Cold Weather Clothing System Parka. Collection_170
    GenII

Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Most informative Philip, I assume the labels on these Gen 2 Parka's are clearly marked USMC!

Also can you confirm if the Gen 2 parkas hoods are of a completely different design, and therefore what the differences are ?
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:23 pm

More intrigue and just as I have sold my Parka,had it up for sale for ages with no takers and now some info appears Its sold Crying or Very sad
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Gulf91 wrote:More intrigue and just as I have sold my Parka,had it up for sale for ages with no takers and now some info appears Its sold Crying or Very sad

Isn't the way, still it might spur you on to get hold of another one Mate Wink
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Not sure Gary,have been looking at the newer ones either the USMC or USAF ones but they are pricey and the one or 2 I have been bidding on that sod Brokenarrow seems to win them along with pretty much ALL Para Smocks,59 Patt Denisons Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

In the grand scheme of things say compared to a new Berghaus civvy Goretex the USMC and USAF jkts are cheap but have now bought way too many different ex Mil Goretex Jackets and just havent been happy with any up to now. My absolute max for a used ex Mil Goretex would only be around £60 so guess have limited options.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Gulf91 wrote:Not sure Gary,have been looking at the newer ones either the USMC or USAF ones but they are pricey and the one or 2 I have been bidding on that sod Brokenarrow seems to win them along with pretty much ALL Para Smocks,59 Patt Denisons Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

In the grand scheme of things say compared to a new Berghaus civvy Goretex the USMC and USAF jkts are cheap but have now bought way too many different ex Mil Goretex Jackets and just havent been happy with any up to now. My absolute max for a used ex Mil Goretex would only be around £60 so guess have limited options.

Gulf I know where your coming from, there's another Brit based "ebay nemesis" I often come up against,does piss me off some what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But your right the current US Gortie stuff, is WAY superior in price and durability to highstreet "outdoorsy" stuff.

But there's good and there's the bad, I have a USAF Tiger-stripe Waterproof jacket of the non-gortie variety ..basically it sucks, might as well wear a bin liner.!!

Now, what I'd really like for the 60 quid is a Marpat Gortie,but I guess my "ebay nemesis" would beat me to it by a quid or two Evil or Very Mad Laughing
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Easy Gee wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:Not sure Gary,have been looking at the newer ones either the USMC or USAF ones but they are pricey and the one or 2 I have been bidding on that sod Brokenarrow seems to win them along with pretty much ALL Para Smocks,59 Patt Denisons Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Gulf I know where your coming from, there's another Brit based "ebay nemesis" I often come up against,does piss me off some what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But your right the current US Gortie stuff, is WAY superior in price and durability to highstreet "outdoorsy" stuff.

But there's good and there's the bad, I have a USAF Tiger-stripe Waterproof jacket of the non-gortie variety ..basically it sucks, might as well wear a bin liner.!!

Now, what I'd really like for the 60 quid is a Marpat Gortie,but I guess my "ebay nemesis" would beat me to it by a quid or two Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Yep,I have 2 or 3 Nemesiss as well that have much deeper wallets than me but that Brokenarrow guy as has been discussed before just doesnt make sense-pays Top dollar or even over the odds for items then lists them for sale straight away at STUPID prices????

USAF Tiger-stripe Waterproof jacket of the non-gortie

Hmm,had also considered one of those but glad I didnt!!!!

Quite a bit of the newer Goretex stuff knocking about on Ebay UK at decent prices most if not all are Large or XL-no good to me who is after a Small or Medium!!

Will have to check my didnt win and ended lists to see if the jkts I missed out on are still there and cry at what they sold for-had I known my Desert Goretex was going to sell could have bid that bit more!!!
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:51 am

Gulf91 wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:

Yep,I have 2 or 3 Nemesiss as well that have much deeper wallets than me but that Brokenarrow guy as has been discussed before just doesnt make sense-pays Top dollar or even over the odds for items then lists them for sale straight away at STUPID prices????

USAF Tiger-stripe Waterproof jacket of the non-gortie

Hmm,had also considered one of those but glad I didnt!!!!

Quite a bit of the newer Goretex stuff knocking about on Ebay UK at decent prices most if not all are Large or XL-no good to me who is after a Small or Medium!!

Will have to check my didnt win and ended lists to see if the jkts I missed out on are still there and cry at what they sold for-had I known my Desert Goretex was going to sell could have bid that bit more!!!

Yeah,it is annoying when ebay sellers buy up loads of kit, and then re-list items on within weeks!!!
    But I guess they are small time businesses trying to make a profit,fair enough.

I missed out on another US Desert Gortie a while back by a few quid on ebay, more annoying back in the summer at a boot sale a sqauddie was selling of his kit, and I missed out on a Desert DPM Gortie, this guy in front of me bought it for a quid Shocked Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Mate I was gutted for weeks about that!!!!

I'm with you on the current US issue gortie stuff on ebay lately, I'm a medium, and all the stuff I've seen lately is US L or XL, which equates to Brit XL,XXL on my slim athletic build Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 am