Bolty717
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Bolty
    Registration date : 2012-11-22
    Number of posts : 260

Re: MCU

Post by Bolty717 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:55 am

Im not sure going MC would have saved any money as Crye control the use of that pattern, which is no different than paying for Hyperstealth (HS) to design a new pattern. The question is how much did Crye charge versus how much did we pay to HS. Im picking we didnt choose the most expensive option, let face it we never do which usually means we get the runner up.

Ive seen what each of the new MCU cost, and yes there have been some increases, the pants are one that is up the most, but that would be directly due to the extra work required as they are different to the current.

On the opposite end, the wet weathers have come down as they are now Event and not GT.
    Warrior Kiwi
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Kaleb
    Location : Covered in mud, way out in the wop-wops of Aotearoa
    Registration date : 2013-02-12
    Number of posts : 30

Post by Warrior Kiwi on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:41 am

They say tests for this were good, how well does it hold up to NZ bush/woodland/dense forest terrains?

It seems like it would poke out similar to multicam, until it gets covered in mud anyway Razz
    Bolty717
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Bolty717 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:45 am

Not sure how long this link will be active for, shows new MCU in urban setting with new 7.62mm LSW.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/8376381/Soldiers-testing-new-camouflage-gear-guns
    Raptor
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-08-15
    Number of posts : 174

Post by Raptor on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:35 am

Very,Very nice!Looks well when worn! I also like your FIBUA/MOUT centre.Very similar to ours if not better.
    One question(without going too far off topic)How those the sidewinder fair out on the side of the helmet?Can the lads access the buttons easily when wearing gloves?
    Unfortunately we don't have a decent helmet light on issue.White light only headtorches were issued for the Chad op,but most lad buy their own red filter versions that can be worn on the front of the helmet.problem is they clash with the goggles! have ye had similar probs?
    Well done again on the MCU.looks like ye are getting a fine uniform.
    Bolty717
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Bolty717 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:12 pm

The Sidewinder has a larger center button on the colour selector. I used it with gloves oseas without issue. Biggest issue was it rotating on the helemt mount when you dont want it to, also you need to dummy cord it to the helmet as well.

KiwiWarrior1994
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Tyler Sayer
    Registration date : 2011-07-14
    Number of posts : 86

Post by KiwiWarrior1994 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:55 pm

What are the new uniforms liek to wear , as in comfort wise , do all of them Have the built in knee pads?
    Raptor
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Raptor on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Will those trousers be worn as working dress around Bks or camp also??
    2/1kiwi
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Dan
    Registration date : 2011-03-03
    Number of posts : 348

Post by 2/1kiwi on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Pads are removable.
    Warrior Kiwi
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Warrior Kiwi on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 am

New Uniform, 70% made in NZ hahaha Laughing
    Raptor
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Raptor on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:25 pm

2/1kiwi wrote:Pads are removable.
    Yeah but what are you left with? two areas that can snag all and sundry.Not good when doing vehicle maintenance for example.I dunno.Its an interesting concept and is probably better in the field then separate Kneepads,but i think a plain version would work better for working dress.Just my tuppence worth.
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5920

Post by CollectinSteve on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Raptor wrote:
    2/1kiwi wrote:Pads are removable.
    Yeah but what are you left with? two areas that can snag all and sundry.Not good when doing vehicle maintenance for example.I dunno.Its an interesting concept and is probably better in the field then separate Kneepads,but i think a plain version would work better for working dress.Just my tuppence worth.

I always wondered the same thing since the first time I saw a set. It's not quite as bad as that in real life as the design is pretty solid and therefore the opening lays flat for the most part. Is it less prone to getting snagged than normal kit? I don't see how it possibly could be. Murphy has some laws about snagging, and I'm sure it applies to this as well as anything else.

Steve

KiwiWarrior1994
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by KiwiWarrior1994 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:36 am

Warrior Kiwi wrote:New Uniform, 70% made in NZ hahaha Laughing
    I been told Canturbury and Swazi Made alot of the older pattern DPM
    Bolty717
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Bolty717 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:08 pm

KiwiWarrior1994 wrote:

Swazi did make the goretex wet weathers for a short period, maybe 2 years, and only in recent years as we didnt get GT till 2008? onwards and then Swazi had a falling out with YASL/WWG.

Canterbury hasnt made the DPMs in my time(88 till now)as there have not been any CCC tags on any DPMs, possibly that a manufacturer assoicated with CCC maybe did a run at some stage. They have done some of the black PT shorts and Rugby jerseys for PT.

DPMs makers over the yeasr has been Tracey Manufacturers for the pants, Magraths for the shirts. Since YASL took over the clothing its a bit harder to tell as YASL/WWG is now putting there own labels on.
    Warrior Kiwi
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Warrior Kiwi on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:54 am

Bolty717 wrote:
    KiwiWarrior1994 wrote:

Swazi did make the goretex wet weathers for a short period, maybe 2 years, and only in recent years as we didnt get GT till 2008? onwards and then Swazi had a falling out with YASL/WWG.

Canterbury hasnt made the DPMs in my time(88 till now)as there have not been any CCC tags on any DPMs, possibly that a manufacturer assoicated with CCC maybe did a run at some stage. They have done some of the black PT shorts and Rugby jerseys for PT.

DPMs makers over the yeasr has been Tracey Manufacturers for the pants, Magraths for the shirts. Since YASL took over the clothing its a bit harder to tell as YASL/WWG is now putting there own labels on.

Yup all my wet weather sets are either (pre-2008) Kathmandu, (2008-2009 issued) Swazi or (2010-2011 issued) Yikka

KiwiWarrior1994
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by KiwiWarrior1994 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:16 am

Regarding NZ issue webbing vests are they made by the same company as the company who are producing the MCU Pattern ? , Is DPM goign to be phased out completley ?
    Bolty717
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Bolty717 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:27 pm

DPM is being phase out. The Reserve forces will eventaully get it. It will take a long time for all DPM to totally disappear, hootchies for example will remain for a while, although newly made ones may be in CB in the future. The best indicator of whe nthe new pattern is fully in is when it starts appearing on TradeMe.

We are retaining CT/CB as out load bearing colour. The makers of the vest are NZ based, all the MCU that I saw so far said made in China.

2/1RNZIR
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-11-09
    Number of posts : 142

Post by 2/1RNZIR on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:20 pm

I wonder if we will change back to a temperate and desert uniform like the USMC once they realise that there will never be a truly multicam uniform?
    Bolty717
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Bolty717 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 pm

2/1RNZIR wrote:I wonder if we will change back to a temperate and desert uniform like the USMC once they realise that there will never be a truly multicam uniform?

Its taken 30 plus years to move away from DPM, we aint going to do this again for a very long time. One of the reason to go to one cam is to suppoerly save moeny by not have to stock and issue additional uniforms for desert ops.
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2673

Post by Camo_fiend on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:22 pm

I don't know I seemed to have missed this. I really like this pattern! Shame that DPM is being binned though... that's still my favourite camo pattern.

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:25 am