escammo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Erick
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Number of posts : 165

Soviet Amoeba camo suits

Post by escammo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:07 am

There have been some Soviet Amoeba camo suits selling on eBay lately for a lot of money. I think that some of these uniforms may be reproductions.

Soviet WWII camo uniforms are very rare so be careful when spending money on supposed WWII era suits.

I wanted to start a post to show photos of and discuss the amoeba uniform in an attempt to identify real vs. reproduction suits.

Here are close-up photos of a WWII dated amoeba suit that I believe is original.

face netting

buttons

hand sewn button hole

pass through pocket close-up

manufacturing stamp

I believe the amoeba uniforms with these “Gorky” stamps are reproduction uniforms

pleas feel free to add photos and discuss.

Thanks,

Erick
    shoru
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2011-04-02
    Number of posts : 505

Re: Soviet Amoeba camo suits

Post by shoru on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Thank you for clarifying this, Erick.
    I'm going to a bit militaria fair soon, normally there are some Amoeba suits for sale.
    I will check the stamps and see if they are fakes.
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6123

Post by CollectinSteve on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:52 pm

I've seen a number of these for sale, which is curious. However, there are a couple of explanations:

1. A small number were found in the depths of a warehouse
    2. People know what the value is so they are selling them for profit instead of keeping them
    3. There are fakes now because of the value

I think it is a very good idea to have more information before buying one of these suits. Thanks to Erick for starting some documentation!

If anybody has a reproduction suit it would be good to see details to help identify where to look for evidence of real or reproduction.

Steve
    escammo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Erick
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Number of posts : 165

amoeba suit

Post by escammo on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:25 am

Here is what looks to be a WWII era photo with the amoeba suit being worn. You can see the dark colored dish style button on one of the suits.

This button can be seen in other war-time photos of the amoeba camo and is the same type button seen on the amoeba suits shown in Desmond’s book.

Here is a similar button from a 1950’s dated Soviet suit. The button is metallic (it attracts a magnet) with an enamel like coating.

Here is a photo of a tag on an amoeba suit (not sure if genuine). It has the sewn-in tag like some other Soviet uniforms.

koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1711

Post by koalorka on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 am

Can't be of much assistance here, but the first suit posted looks a bit "sterile" and the fabric a little too perfect. The cloth on all of these suits is a bit coarser in my limited experience.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 am