IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ?

JYN
    JYN
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-05-31
    Number of posts : 84

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? Empty Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ?

Post by JYN Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Hello,

I would like to identify this helmet and to know from which country it is coming from .

Any idea ? Thank you in advance.

JYN

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? Helmet10
    Usall
    Usall
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2012-05-04
    Number of posts : 141

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? Empty Re: Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ?

Post by Usall Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:39 pm

HI J-Y,

This helmet was for afghan presidential guard (period 1992-1996). 

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? Afghan10

Amicalement
    Guilhaume Wink
    JYN
    JYN
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? Empty Re: Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ?

Post by JYN Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:06 am

Thank you Guilhaume.

That was so simple.

Jean-Yves
    Usall
    Usall
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Usall Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 pm

No problems Wink

Guilhaume
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:23 pm

I like it,any chance of some pics of the liner etc?

Thanks
    JYN
    JYN
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by JYN Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:00 am

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? Photo10
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:04 am

Thanks and very interesting,wonder if the shell is a WW2 German made M35/M40?
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:55 am

That would be my guess.  The WW2 victors didn't like to waste captured materials.  Note also the crude Soviet style liner. The Soviets had literally millions of German helmets on hand after the war, but by the 1990s I guess the leather would have been pretty much useless if the helmets weren't stored properly.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they found a rotting pile of helmets, replaced the liners as cheaply as possible, and handed them out to their Afghan puppets.

JYN, look for markings along the inside rim.  You might also want to post a picture to Wehrmacht Awards Forum.  Those guys know pretty much everything about WW2 German stuff, no matter where it wound up.

Steve
    JYN
    JYN
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by JYN Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:09 am

Hi,

Well, this identification has been posted because the owner of this helmet was looking for info about it.
    I am not owning the helmet, sorry. I think he is mainly a WWII german lids collector and probably got this helmet as a weird customization piece as we all do have in our collection, one day.

JYN
    Usall
    Usall
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Usall Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:39 am

This helmet is made ​​in a Spanish Z42 helmet (first type). Probably recover by Afghans in the 80s. It was at this time that the Spanish army helmet changed.

Exemple

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? 29982010

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? Es_m4210

Guilhaume Wink
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Usall wrote:This helmet is made ​​in a Spanish Z42 helmet (first type). Probably recover by Afghans in the 80s. It was at this time that the Spanish army helmet changed.

Exemple

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? 29982010

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? Es_m4210

Guilhaume Wink

Thats the second type you have pictured.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Very unusual example jean-yves, thanks for sharing it here.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm confused by your post, Usall.  Are you saying you think the Afghan helmet looks like a Spanish type?  To me it doesn't look like that at all.  Liner rivet holes are different, the Afghan has a crimped edge vs. the Spanish cut type, and the Spanish helmets (all?) have the unique clip on the front for affixing a metal armed forces badge (for parades, guard duties, etc.).  The clip is not present on the Afghan helmet and I doubt the Afghans would have removed it.

True that the liner of the Z42 1st Model is similar, but so too are almost all Soviet Bloc steel helmet liners.  I also remember the Spanish chin straps being leather, not cheap webbing.

Steve
    Usall
    Usall
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Usall Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Yes it's true the two pictures are not good examples, sorry.
    I'll try to do it again, sorry for my bad English. I use a translator so it may be hard to understand.

I think the origin of the helmet is Spanish. The helmet shell is of German origin (M35). The interior and Jugular can be manufactured locally?

Here the side of the helmet.

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? Akxrg6

Spanish 42/79 helmet (helmet shell M35, german origin).

source: http://www.world-war-helmets.com/fiche.php?q=Casque-Espagnol-Mle-Z-42-79

Anyone could recognize this helmet from the Middle East ? Dsc02610

Usall
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:37 pm

You are doing fine with the translator Wink

I still do not think it is Spanish.  Even the "reutilized" German M35 helmets have the badge holder welded to the front of the helmet and I don't see it on the Afghan helmet.  I can not imagine them bothering to cut them off.  The Spanish helmets have a different rivet (flat) vs. the German round (though I do not know if 100% Spanish helmets have flat rivets).  The liner, to me, does not look like a Spanish liner.  It is too crude and the chin strap isn't the same style.

Also, I do not know of any history of Afghanistan purchasing surplus items from Fascist or Democratic Spain.  Especially during the time of Soviet occupation.

The question... why would a puppet Soviet state purchase things from a country allied against the Soviet Union?  Especially one that was Fascist until the 1970s and beat Soviet backed forces in its Civil War?  The funds for the helmets came from the Soviet Union, so that makes no sense Very Happy

What makes more sense is the Soviets took some of the millions and millions of German helmets they probably still had lying around and shipped a few thousand to Afghanistan with cheap replacement liners.

Of course, I could be wrong.  Just because what I say is logical doesn't make it true Very Happy  But generally the most obvious answer is the correct one.

Steve
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:08 am

The air vent doesnt look Spanish Im afraid.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am