IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP

riflegreen297

Registration date : 2013-09-27
    Number of posts : 4

KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP Empty KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP

Post by riflegreen297 Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:44 am

I was given this cap while conducting a JCET with the KUPERJANOV BN located in Voru, Estonia in 1997.  It has the unit made Death's Head attached.
    KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP <a href=KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP 001_zps4954ed3f" />
    KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP <a href=KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP 002_zpse0f0680e" />
    KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP <a href=KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP 003_zpse6c39af2" />
    KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP <a href=KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP 004_zps9957d923" />

Last edited by riflegreen297 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : the city is VORU; VORNIK was the last name of a woman I met there. Sorry)
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP Empty Re: KUPERJANOV FIELD CAP

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Nice. These are not easy to come by.

You can see the stitching where the Estonian bevo "bullseye" badge was removed. Because you picked this up directly, can you tell me about the metal badge? Were they wearing hats with the metal badge on it, or was that put on after? If they were wearing it while in service it's something I've not seen before and probably unofficial.

Steve
    riflegreen297

Post by riflegreen297 Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Steve,
    The hat is as given to me. The skulls were made by either the S3 or S2 officer of the KUPERJONAV. He also made knives from tank treads and rings for the officers and senior NCOs. Another member of the ODA was given a ring by one of the SGMs and the TM LDR received a knife.  I will try to find some photos of the troops wearing the hat w/ the skull. I have some other items, a shoulder patch, a whiskey glass with the KUPERJONAV emblem, a sticker and a certificate of appreciation from the BN CDR.  I also have some Estonian patches from the other units I worked with, the VIRU INF BN, TARTU INF Company and some others.  I spent a bit of time in Estland in the 1990s.

There is a photo of a KUPERJONAV Soldier w/ a M14 wearing the skull on his cap in post #8 of this thread.https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t1371-estonian-stuff
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks for the info! I checked out that photo and yup... that's the same deal. Fantastic to get an inside bit of information about how this came about. So very often a badge like that was added by someone after the fact to replace what was originally on there, which in this case was a bevo badge. But then there are cases like yours, where it was a unit level practice (sanctioned or not) and therefore "original" to its time in service.

I envy your time spent in Estonia. Not a bad place for Uncle Sam to send you Very Happy

Steve
    riflegreen297

Post by riflegreen297 Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 am

Steve, I envy my time spent in Estonia. I still miss the solyanka and rubbing garlic on black bread while drinking Saku.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 pm