Ebay frustration

    Share

    Edward53
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : England
    Registration date : 2013-12-02
    Number of posts : 166

    Ebay frustration

    Post by Edward53 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:29 am

    A very nice 59 patt Denison just sold very cheaply on ebay:

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-Denison-Airborne-Jump-Smock-1959-Pattern-3rd-Pattern-Size-2-1963-/261357332724?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=PiyabT2OWx3neu5zYB601musfik%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

    Seller shipped to the US only. I found it three hours before the end and tried messaging the seller to say he stood to make a lot more if he'd open the auction to UK buyers, but ebay won't even let me contact him. So I could only watch powerlessly as something I liked was knocked down to someone else at a low price. Hopefully it at least went to a dedicated collector who will appreciate and look after it.

    Ebay is such a pain sometimes....

    edstorey
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2012-05-27
    Number of posts : 127

    Ebay sales

    Post by edstorey on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:24 am

    Quite a few US sellers will only sell to the US, so you can imagine the pain it is living next door in Canada. Some frequent Canadian eBayers who live close to the border have gone as far as getting a US PO Box.

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3702

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by Gulf91 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:44 am

    Edward53 wrote:A very nice 59 patt Denison just sold very cheaply on ebay:

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-Denison-Airborne-Jump-Smock-1959-Pattern-3rd-Pattern-Size-2-1963-/261357332724?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=PiyabT2OWx3neu5zYB601musfik%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

    Seller shipped to the US only. I found it three hours before the end and tried messaging the seller to say he stood to make a lot more if he'd open the auction to UK buyers, but ebay won't even let me contact him. So I could only watch powerlessly as something I liked was knocked down to someone else at a low price. Hopefully it at least went to a dedicated collector who will appreciate and look after it.

    Ebay is such a pain sometimes....

    If Brokenarrow doesnt get to them first there are plenty on Ebay UK for similar money or less when you factor in what the shipping would cost and then the hammering you would get from the Customs and other fees.

    Edward53
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : England
    Registration date : 2013-12-02
    Number of posts : 166

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by Edward53 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:47 am

    Ed, it's (sort of) good to know we're not alone! There must be loads of "landlocked" militaria and other stuff besides, so I think there's a market opportunity for an enterprising American to purchase and forward ebay items on commission for other countries. There you are guys, it's a free idea for you!

    Edward53
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : England
    Registration date : 2013-12-02
    Number of posts : 166

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by Edward53 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:01 am

    Gulf91 wrote:If Brokenarrow doesnt get to them first there are plenty on Ebay UK for similar money or less when you factor in what the shipping would cost and then the hammering you would get from the Customs and other fees.

    I don't suppose these are rare - they shouldn't be - but condition is pretty important to me and I haven't seen many on Ebay UK that I'd want to own. But I've only been watching it for about 3 months so am v much a ... new guy! My feeling was that shipping from the US shouldn't be more than about £25 and there shouldn't be an import fee if properly labelled, as Denisons are British-made. I'd have been pretty happy if this one had come in at around £150 total.

    What the hell - Merry Christmas!  rendeer  rendeer  rendeer  rendeer   santa

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3702

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by Gulf91 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:32 am

    Edward53 wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:If Brokenarrow doesnt get to them first there are plenty on Ebay UK for similar money or less when you factor in what the shipping would cost and then the hammering you would get from the Customs and other fees.

    I don't suppose these are rare - they shouldn't be - but condition is pretty important to me and I haven't seen many on Ebay UK that I'd want to own. But I've only been watching it for about 3 months so am v much a ... new guy! My feeling was that shipping from the US shouldn't be more than about £25 and there shouldn't be an import fee if properly labelled, as Denisons are British-made. I'd have been pretty happy if this one had come in at around £150 total.

    What the hell - Merry Christmas!  rendeer  rendeer  rendeer  rendeer   santa

    You will be stung by Customs guaranteed as its not nice.

    If youre still after one depending on size etc please get in touch.

    Thanks

    Edward53
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : England
    Registration date : 2013-12-02
    Number of posts : 166

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by Edward53 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:28 pm

    Gulf91 wrote:You will be stung by Customs guaranteed as its not nice.

    If youre still after one depending on size etc please get in touch.

    Thanks

    Cheers G91 - pm sent, it says it's in the outbox not the sentbox but hopefully it's on the way.

    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Location : New England, US
    Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5569

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by CollectinSteve on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:47 pm

    I was bidding on that one, so I'm familiar with it Very Happy In fact, another guy on this Forum is having something sent from this seller to my house (in the US) because of the same restriction. I won a number of items from the guy at the same time so it worked out well.

    There's a bunch of discussions on this Forum about the problems with buying from foreign eBay sellers. I buy most of my stuff from Germany and if I did not have a German address to ship to (then shipped to me) *AND* a German bank account, I'd be screwed since the majority of German eBay sellers require a German address and don't take PayPal.

    Steve

    Edward53
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : England
    Registration date : 2013-12-02
    Number of posts : 166

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by Edward53 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:47 pm

    Congratulations Steve, I am glad someone here got that particular bargain. I'll search for earlier discussions next time I log on, but for now, it's still Boxing Day, we have family round and Mrs E53 is getting a bit tetchy about me spending time online...!

    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Location : New England, US
    Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5569

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by CollectinSteve on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:43 pm

    Heh... I said I bid on it, I didn't say I won it Wink Unfortunately it did go to someone else.

    Having British inlaws means I understand Mrs E53's attitude!

    Steve

    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Name : Dale
    Age : 45
    Location : Alberta Canada
    Registration date : 2009-11-22
    Number of posts : 334

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by Mk1rceme on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:52 pm

    I haven't seen that too much on this forum, but some forums are rampant with US sales only listings, but not limited to just the US. Some from other countries buy all over the world and limit their sales to host countries too.

    I now check potential international buyers of my items to see if they allow sales of their own outside of their host countries. I've had some flak about it, but fair is fair. I sell worldwide, have for many years, and never had a problem. Mailing problems always seem to be the major excuse for limited sales.

    It is becoming a problem on the facebook selling pages as well.

    fourtycoats
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Location : Ireland
    Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Number of posts : 311

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by fourtycoats on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:13 pm

    I suspect that the problem of "my country only shipping" is not because of xenophobia but more likely caused by the way listings are set up on e-bay. I have not been through a "sell" listing for a while but my guess is that the default setting is for the listers country only. Many times I have asked such a lister to ship abroad they have agreed. Most admitted to not even knowing that they had limited bidders to those with UK shipping addresses. I buy many of my items on line from the UK and have set up the appropriate accounts and addresses to do this.

    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Location : New England, US
    Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5569

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by CollectinSteve on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:01 pm

    I've definitely had that happen, however eBay has made improvements which make it less likely that happens now. Three reasons why people deliberately choose to exclude foreign buyers:

    1. Less likely (so they think) of getting ripped off in some way because domestic buyers are subject to domestic laws.

    2. Don't want the hassle of filling out customs forms or weighing packages. Many US sellers, at least, are lazy and only use domestic flat rate boxes. Just bought something last week where the guy could have saved me 40% if he put it into a variable rate box but didn't want to bother.

    3. For sellers who have things that are questionable export items (knives, body armor, gun parts, etc) they tend to play it safe and not ship out of the country rather than take a risk. The larger gun parts dealers, for example, have this policy for ALL of their products including things like empty magazine pouches and books.

    Not me. I'll ship to anybody willing to pay Very Happy

    Steve

    historyscommandant
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Name : DeWayne
    Age : 30
    Location : The History Bunker
    Registration date : 2014-01-31
    Number of posts : 20

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by historyscommandant on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:06 pm

    Its a mutual thing though as I've seen things on ebay.co.uk, ebay.fr and ebay.de that I've liked living in the US however they only shipped inside their respective country or inside the EU which I could only shake my head at. I know in Europe some sellers don't use the whole paypal option and only accept Bank Transfer or the IBAN thing. To get around a lot of that I've had friends in the UK contact me and they use my US address and then I'll forward it on to them and vice versa. Make contact and establish a good bond with an American forum member and do the same. It keeps people happy being able to access the things they like.

    filupe
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Location : Oz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1033

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by filupe on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:54 pm

    historyscommandant wrote: Make contact and establish a good bond with an American forum member and do the same. It keeps people happy being able to access the things they like.

    You do get some bad eggs. I did that and got ripped off. Sent the other party ('Mark Cedras' on facebook BTW) a military bible for free and all I required him to do was trans-ship a package from another US seller who wouldn't ship overseas. I even pre-paid the postage. Last message I got from him was 'package received' then ... nothing.

    Fortunately, people like Arch/nkomo here has restored my faith in humanity in general and Americans in particular!

    Edward53
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : England
    Registration date : 2013-12-02
    Number of posts : 166

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by Edward53 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:53 am

    filupe wrote:
    historyscommandant wrote:  Make contact and establish a good bond with an American forum member and do the same. It keeps people happy being able to access the things they like.

    You do get some bad eggs.  I did that and got ripped off.  Sent the other party ('Mark Cedras' on facebook BTW) a military bible for free and all I required him to do was trans-ship a package from another US seller who wouldn't ship overseas.  I even pre-paid the postage.  Last message I got from him was 'package received' then ... nothing.

    Fortunately, people like Arch/nkomo here has restored my faith in humanity in general and Americans in particular!
    Evidently you are not the only person to have a run-in with Mark Cedras:

    http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39994-user-suspension-72newport/

    We have our share of trash here in the UK. One particular parasite with 100% positive ebay feedback, the biggest faker in the country, manipulates ebay's policies by using the ebay rules of whatever country suits him. I would like to name this person, but our libel laws demand total proof and he has already successfully sued one person who went public. Actually l have known his buying id for some years and have plenty of evidence to turn the tables if he ever tries to get nasty, but I haven't personally been stung by his laughably obvious (to any experienced collector) fakes and I don't need a lawsuit in my life, so I'm saving it for a rainy day. If I say this person lives in a large, remote county on the east side of England and has a seemingly endless supply of items with labels in the same handwriting (with the same grammatical errors!) and wobbly inscriptions, most British collectors will know who I'm talking about.

    Although there are some nasty people in this field, in my experience the vast majority of collectors are genuine guys. In 30+ years I've done a lot of transactions on both sides of the Atlantic on a trust basis and never been let down yet.

    filupe
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Location : Oz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1033

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by filupe on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:05 am

    Edward53 wrote:
    Evidently you are not the only person to have a run-in with Mark Cedras:

    http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39994-user-suspension-72newport/


    That warning came out just after my run in with him - had I known all the other stuff he was pulling, I never would've trusted him.

    Edward53 wrote:
    We have our share of trash here in the UK. One particular parasite with 100% positive ebay feedback, the biggest faker in the country, manipulates ebay's policies by using the ebay rules of whatever country suits him. I would like to name this person, but our libel laws demand total proof and he has already successfully sued one person who went public. Actually l have known his buying id for some years and have plenty of evidence to turn the tables if he ever tries to get nasty, but I haven't personally been stung by his laughably obvious (to any experienced collector) fakes and I don't need a lawsuit in my life, so I'm saving it for a rainy day. If I say this person lives in a large, remote county on the east side of England and has a seemingly endless supply of items with labels in the same handwriting (with the same grammatical errors!) and wobbly inscriptions, most British collectors will know who I'm talking about.

    Although there are some nasty people in this field, in my experience the vast majority of collectors are genuine guys. In 30+ years I've done a lot of transactions on both sides of the Atlantic on a trust basis and never been let down yet.

    No libel laws here ... outing him in this forum would be doing all our members a service ...

    I'm embroiled in yet, another possible fraud ... unfortunately originating in this forum and from a UK member.  I will PM him and give him a chance of reply before outing him ...

    Edward53
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : England
    Registration date : 2013-12-02
    Number of posts : 166

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by Edward53 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:34 am

    filupe wrote:No libel laws here ... outing him in this forum would be doing all our members a service ...

    Unfortunately it's not that simple. If a statement deemed defamatory in UK law originates from the UK, a case can be brought in the UK, regardless of where the forum hosting it is based.

    historyscommandant
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Name : DeWayne
    Age : 30
    Location : The History Bunker
    Registration date : 2014-01-31
    Number of posts : 20

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by historyscommandant on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:03 am

    filupe wrote:
    historyscommandant wrote:  Make contact and establish a good bond with an American forum member and do the same. It keeps people happy being able to access the things they like.

    You do get some bad eggs.  I did that and got ripped off.  Sent the other party ('Mark Cedras' on facebook BTW) a military bible for free and all I required him to do was trans-ship a package from another US seller who wouldn't ship overseas.  I even pre-paid the postage.  Last message I got from him was 'package received' then ... nothing.

    Fortunately, people like Arch/nkomo here has restored my faith in humanity in general and Americans in particular!

    Unfortunately, every country has its weeds. I've only been burned a couple of times on a couple of small items I bought an East German Air Force wimpel and the seller sent it to a guy I contacted in Germany to forward it to me and I paid the seller and the other party appropriate funds to see it make it to the address in Germany and then to the good ol USA and then I got a message saying the wimpel has been dispatched from Germany to the US and it never came. As with everything it can be a game of chance but I think its all a matter of dealing amongst the right people.

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3702

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by Gulf91 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:23 pm

    Any chance somebody could PM over Mr Cedras Ebay Id so aI can steer clear.

    Thanks.

    LeeKitchen1975
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

    Name : Lee
    Location : England
    Registration date : 2012-09-11
    Number of posts : 418

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by LeeKitchen1975 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:29 pm

    Same here please, ping it on to me...I'll stay well clear!!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Ebay frustration

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:27 am


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:27 am