IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

10th Mountain Division CDR/CSM Coin

nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3320

10th Mountain Division CDR/CSM Coin Empty 10th Mountain Division CDR/CSM Coin

Post by nkomo Tue May 19, 2009 6:49 pm

Picked up a small grouping from a friend of mine this weekend (good find Roland). He had this coin and a DCU from a Sgt. Unfortunately, the name tape had been removed. Whatever the case, I really liked the coin.

Can anyone tell me anything about this coin? I am assuming this is a challenge coin, but am not 100% sure. Not sure why anyone would want to get rid of something like this, but it fits in my collection nicely. Thanks for any information.
    Arch

10th Mountain Division CDR/CSM Coin Pictu134
    10th Mountain Division CDR/CSM Coin Pictu135

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 930

10th Mountain Division CDR/CSM Coin Empty Re: 10th Mountain Division CDR/CSM Coin

Post by AndrewA74 Tue May 19, 2009 8:09 pm

nkomo wrote:Picked up a small grouping from a friend of mine this weekend (good find Roland). He had this coin and a DCU from a Sgt. Unfortunately, the name tape had been removed. Whatever the case, I really liked the coin.

Can anyone tell me anything about this coin? I am assuming this is a challenge coin, but am not 100% sure. Not sure why anyone would want to get rid of something like this, but it fits in my collection nicely. Thanks for any information.
    Arch

It's kind of self explanatory...what do you want to know?
    Andrew

Question
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

10th Mountain Division CDR/CSM Coin Empty Re: 10th Mountain Division CDR/CSM Coin

Post by nkomo Tue May 19, 2009 9:23 pm

AndrewA74 wrote:
    nkomo wrote:Picked up a small grouping from a friend of mine this weekend (good find Roland). He had this coin and a DCU from a Sgt. Unfortunately, the name tape had been removed. Whatever the case, I really liked the coin.

Arch

Andrew

Question
    Drew,
    Uhhhh.....I was wondering what they were given out for. Thanks!!!
    Arch

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 930

Post by AndrewA74 Tue May 19, 2009 9:40 pm

nkomo wrote:
    AndrewA74 wrote:

Arch

Andrew

Question
    Drew,
    Uhhhh.....I was wondering what they were given out for. Thanks!!!
    Arch
    "For Excellence". Possibly just some sort of unit thing given out for completing a mission.
    Andrew
    5th AD
    5th AD
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Location : Between the pit of mans fears and the summit of his knowledge
    Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 185

Post by 5th AD Tue May 19, 2009 10:23 pm

The only thing I can tell you is that CSM stands for Command Sergeant Major and CDR stands for Commander, im guessing you knew that though. Embarassed

Post by Guest Tue May 19, 2009 11:09 pm

Hey Arch,

Really nice coin you have there! 10th Mountain stuff is hard to find around these parts.

Coins like this are very popular now with the Army (and some of the other services, but this is primarily an "Army thing.") Obviously the tradition originated with SF, but since the 1980s there has been a gradually increasing popularity to commemorate all sorts of things with the issue of a coin. These are historically called "challenge coins" but a lot of us call them "unit coins" now as the SF tradition of issuing the coin challenge is largely lost on most of the conventional units. Only the Rangers and SF tend to keep up that tradition (I presume everybody knows what I'm talking about?).

Pretty much every unit you serve in these days is likely to have a coin. Some are issued at the Division level, others at Regimental, Battalion, and Company level. I think there may even be a few Platoon level coins out there, but I'm not sure as most coin companies will not make tiny orders and a platoon is a small unit. In addition, many individuals will have coins made and issue them to soldiers who have distinguished themselves or to commemorate an action by that unit. As an example, there are lots of coins for commanding officers, and Command Sergeants Major. Many of these are highly desirable to coin collectors as not everybody necessarily gets one of these coins, even if they serve in the unit.

Lastly, there have also been coins issued to units serving in a specific theater of operations. So there are unit coins specific to Iraq now, and Afghanistan, as well as other theaters (SFOR, MFO, etc). It is actually a huge sub-field of collecting that has gained tremendous popularity in recent years. The quality of the coins has increased greatly since the original ones were minted back in the 1960s, too. A lot of coins have unique shapes, great artwork, and a lucite finish to protect the colored enamel undercoat.

Some coins are also serial numbered, although this is less common now with the larger units since they tend to issue in the thousands rather than the hundreds.

As you postulated, some GIs are very attached to their coins, which are cherished as much as service awards, marking different periods of a person's career. I have met plenty of soldiers, however, who don't give a rip for their coins. It just depends on the individual.

The coin you have was issued to members of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, jointly by the CSM and the Brigade Commander (a full Colonel). On the back of the coin are listed all the units that are part of this Brigade, which include 1/71 Cavalry, 1/87 Infantry, 2/22 Infantry, 3/6 Field Artillery, 10th Brigade Support Bn, and 1 BSTB. This particular coin was probably issued to every member of the Brigade, but it is still a very nice coin and a good keepsake.

Cheers,

Eric
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Tue May 19, 2009 11:18 pm

oda196 wrote:Hey Arch,

Really nice coin you have there! 10th Mountain stuff is hard to find around these parts.

Coins like this are very popular now with the Army (and some of the other services, but this is primarily an "Army thing.") Obviously the tradition originated with SF, but since the 1980s there has been a gradually increasing popularity to commemorate all sorts of things with the issue of a coin. These are historically called "challenge coins" but a lot of us call them "unit coins" now as the SF tradition of issuing the coin challenge is largely lost on most of the conventional units. Only the Rangers and SF tend to keep up that tradition (I presume everybody knows what I'm talking about?).

Pretty much every unit you serve in these days is likely to have a coin. Some are issued at the Division level, others at Regimental, Battalion, and Company level. I think there may even be a few Platoon level coins out there, but I'm not sure as most coin companies will not make tiny orders and a platoon is a small unit. In addition, many individuals will have coins made and issue them to soldiers who have distinguished themselves or to commemorate an action by that unit. As an example, there are lots of coins for commanding officers, and Command Sergeants Major. Many of these are highly desirable to coin collectors as not everybody necessarily gets one of these coins, even if they serve in the unit.

Lastly, there have also been coins issued to units serving in a specific theater of operations. So there are unit coins specific to Iraq now, and Afghanistan, as well as other theaters (SFOR, MFO, etc). It is actually a huge sub-field of collecting that has gained tremendous popularity in recent years. The quality of the coins has increased greatly since the original ones were minted back in the 1960s, too. A lot of coins have unique shapes, great artwork, and a lucite finish to protect the colored enamel undercoat.

Some coins are also serial numbered, although this is less common now with the larger units since they tend to issue in the thousands rather than the hundreds.

As you postulated, some GIs are very attached to their coins, which are cherished as much as service awards, marking different periods of a person's career. I have met plenty of soldiers, however, who don't give a rip for their coins. It just depends on the individual.

The coin you have was issued to members of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, jointly by the CSM and the Brigade Commander (a full Colonel). On the back of the coin are listed all the units that are part of this Brigade, which include 1/71 Cavalry, 1/87 Infantry, 2/22 Infantry, 3/6 Field Artillery, 10th Brigade Support Bn, and 1 BSTB. This particular coin was probably issued to every member of the Brigade, but it is still a very nice coin and a good keepsake.

Cheers,

Eric
    Eric,
    That is EXACTLY the information I was looking for! Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed answer.
    Arch

Post by Guest Tue May 19, 2009 11:31 pm

No problem, Arch. Glad it was useful information.
    swag
    swag
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 369

Post by swag Tue May 19, 2009 11:33 pm

*phew* I'm glad Eric has already responded, saves me the trouble. hahahaha juuust kidding, I would have given you a good account of the coins (probably not as good as Eric did, though).
    Eric - I'm pretty sure I know what 'challenge' you are referring to. Does it involve a liquid and who has the higher "ranking" coin?

Post by Guest Wed May 20, 2009 2:16 am

swag wrote:*phew* I'm glad Eric has already responded, saves me the trouble. hahahaha juuust kidding, I would have given you a good account of the coins (probably not as good as Eric did, though).
    Eric - I'm pretty sure I know what 'challenge' you are referring to. Does it involve a liquid and who has the higher "ranking" coin?

The drink part is right. If you are challenged and fail to produce your coin, you buy.
    yogiM919

Registration date : 2015-05-28
    Number of posts : 1

Post by yogiM919 Thu May 28, 2015 12:55 am

DUDE!!!.... That is my coin!!! I lost it in Iraq along with other things. I will pay you for it. please contact me. It was given to my by the Command Sergeant Major. I was helping train some Iraqi soldiers on Fire and Maneuver skills. I was a Scout with 2/12 CAV.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am