IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

dates of use of Belgian insignia

indypatchcollector
    indypatchcollector
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-06-26
    Number of posts : 26

dates of use of Belgian insignia Empty dates of use of Belgian insignia

Post by indypatchcollector Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:36 pm

I need some input from those knowledgeable in Belgian insignia.  I have noticed that the Belgian shoulder sleeve insignia in my collection tend to be of four (4) types of manufacture. There are: 1) all vinyl, 2) vinyl on felt, 3) ‘BEVO’ weave, and 4) embroidered on felt or wool.  Does the way the insignia is manufactured connect with the period it was used?  Further, what good referenced exist for Belgian shoulder sleeve insignia?
    Stepi
    Stepi
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2013-09-09
    Number of posts : 38

dates of use of Belgian insignia Empty Re: dates of use of Belgian insignia

Post by Stepi Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:28 am

Anybody got any idea what these epaulettes may be? Came with my 5 Commando Jigsaw smock: https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t10441-congo-5-commando-mercenary-beret-and-jigsaw-smock#76136

Sand coloured felt with embroidered onderluitenant star, the dagger is a 5 Commando thing. I'd really like to know what the colour/material/size may tell about thire origin:

dates of use of Belgian insignia Congo_5Cdojigsawjacket_2_zps4sfutsgk
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:56 pm

Those look like they were intended for a dress uniform. The field ones I'm aware of, when worn at all, were soft felt in various colors to denote branch/unit with metal insignia.

Steve
    Stepi
    Stepi
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Stepi Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:58 pm

I know those field ones you speak off, with the horizontal lines on both ends, almost square in shape, but indeed these are something different alltogether.

But alas, on dress jackets I've only seen any pin on badges attached straight to the epaulette with no separate shoulder boards like these worn. This goes for any uniforms I´ve seen, dated 1950´s to present day issue. Then again the subdued colour is a bit strange perhaps for dress wear?
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Post by Wolverine Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Those epaulettes (setting aside the dagger device) closely resemble the Dutch army sliders for the raincoat or overcoat as far as texture, shape, colour, and dimensions are concerned. As Stepi mentioned, I have only ever seen metal devices attached directly to the shoulder straps of Belgian service dress uniforms, rather than attached to sliders. I believe that these sliders, minus the dagger, are Dutch second-lieutenant raincoat sliders.
    Stepi
    Stepi
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Stepi Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:00 am

Thank you Wolverine, after googling up some photos these indeed look very much alike the Dutch ones! Any more info on what year model etc. these are?

Now if I could only find out what these are doing on this smock... Hopefully the papers I'm waiting for could shed some light on this matter. They are a very handy subdued colour that's for sure!
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:18 am

Great observation Andrew! I knew I recognized that style of stitched star before, but couldn't quite place it even though I have a dozen or more Dutch rank slides in my collection.

Steve
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Post by Wolverine Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Most of my information in this regard comes from various Dutch websites - this one below has plenty of clear images of the different generations of Dutch rank badges and sliders, as well as explaining which uniforms various types of sliders were designed for (field uniform, daily dress, overcoats, etc):

http://sabels.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83&Itemid=34

It appears that the sliders on Stepi's Belgian smock date from 1987 or later.

Although I collect Dutch webbing, it is hard to avoid getting some badges as well, since there are many different styles and variants.
    bousquet123
    bousquet123
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : BOUSQUET
    Registration date : 2012-02-06
    Number of posts : 80

Post by bousquet123 Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:51 am

Stepi wrote:Anybody got any idea what these epaulettes may be? Came with my 5 Commando Jigsaw smock: https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t10441-congo-5-commando-mercenary-beret-and-jigsaw-smock#76136

Sand coloured felt with embroidered onderluitenant star, the dagger is a 5 Commando thing. I'd really like to know what the colour/material/size may tell about thire origin:

dates of use of Belgian insignia Congo_5Cdojigsawjacket_2_zps4sfutsgk

Hi Stepi,

not an original for me , I'd a 5 Commando set with green epaulettes and (Belgian) metal star, I've seen 3 epaulettes 2 green and another one (red slides) presumed to be mounted on a 6 Commando (Bob Denard) shirt.
    For history it 's often relatd that the green felt was taken from a billiard table !
    The stars on the epaulettes were mounted with others badges (mortar, physical, instructor,...) and bars

Regards

Didier
    dates of use of Belgian insignia 4110
    dates of use of Belgian insignia 90386710

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm