Wolverine
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 475

Korps Mariniers Webbing

Post by Wolverine on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Does anyone out there collect KM webbing equipment? I managed to locate some pieces during a recent visit to the Netherlands. This set incorporates US M1956 features and British 1958 pattern features.
    Here is some of what I have:

Suspenders and belt - front and rear views. I believe that the D-rings on the rear suspenders are for attaching a poncho roll similar the 1958 pattern. I haven't found a poncho roll yet.

Here are the kidney pouches, similar to 1958 pattern, and also the entrenching tool:

Here is a strap assembly for carrying a sleeping bag or shelter half. Unfortunately this example is missing the snap-hooks that join up with the D-rings on the front suspender hooks. Someone has cut the stitching and removed the snap-hooks:

Here the large pack, a close copy of the 1958 pattern. The second and third photos show how the pack straps mate up with the suspenders. The sleeping bag carrier works the same way.

And here is a holster (I believe it is KM-issue, but I am not positive), and a first-aid pouch. The pouch, of course, is closely copied from the US type:

I also have some ammunition pouches and a canteen set - more to follow later.

Camonut314
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 196

Re: Korps Mariniers Webbing

Post by Camonut314 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:41 pm

Absolutely fascinating, I had no Idea that the KM had different webbing than the rest of the Dutch army. Although, with the idea that they have their own DPM it should stand to reason. Most of the photos I have seen of them on deployment do not illustrate the webbing as they are wearing the 1951 flak vests.

Keep it up!

Wolverine
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Wolverine on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I have to admit that I have limited reference material on this webbing - I found what items I could on a recent visit to the Netherlands, and I still have a few more items to photograph and post.

Based on the reference photographs that I have located in various publications, I suspect that this webbing was manufactured and issued during the 1970s and 1980s.

I also believe that, during the 1950s and 1960s, the KM may have used other types of webbing that was inspired by American kit from the Second World War period. I will start a separate thread on those items eventually, and also one for field uniforms.

Camonut314
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 196

Post by Camonut314 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Now that I would love to see. I actually have a KNIL tunic from the 50's and I am looking to put together a uniform representing that period, so any additional information about the uniforms would be most useful. I know that they did use quite a bit of British and American Surplus during that time period, web gear, camo coveralls, etc. At the moment I am trying to figure out what kind of trousers go with my shirt, it is a copy of the USMC P41 tunic, but produced in the Netherlands with the KM stamp on the breast. Photos I have been able to locate have been grainy, but is seems everything from surplus US army HBT's, P41's, and P44's were used, and maybe some Dutch copies, so I am at a loss!

Wolverine
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Wolverine on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Yes, there is no doubt that plenty of surplus material and clothing from US and British (and Canadian) stocks was in circulation, and I am also familiar with the Dutch manufactured HBT clothing for the KM - to my knowledge, there were matching trousers and jackets. What I am less sure about is the range of webbing items that were copied (closely or notionally) and manufactured by the Dutch. On my trip, I kept stumbling upon items that I had not seen before.

Wolverine
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Wolverine on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:03 am

Here are a couple of 3-cell FAL magazine pouches (cotton above, nylon below) - they can be worn on the belt, or in bandoleer fashion with the integral straps.

I believe that there is also a 2-cell version of this pouch.

Wolverine
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Wolverine on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:05 am

This canteen carrier may be specific to the KM, but I am not sure. It is made of nylon rather than cotton, and does not have the typical army markings or LTD snaps.

Wolverine
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Wolverine on Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:23 pm

I was finally able to source some KMarns poncho carriers (based on the 1958 pattern). Here is a picture to show how it fastens to the rear suspender D-rings (the kidney pouches would normally slide onto the belt, up above the poncho carrier). I have another version of the poncho carrier with webbing straps rather than leather ones.

Wolverine
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Wolverine on Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:29 pm

And here is the KMarns three-cell grenade carrier, very close in pattern to the US GI type.

Wolverine
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Wolverine on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Has anyone ever seen a magazine pouch on the loose such as this marine is wearing on his belt? Let me know if you have one to sell or trade...

(Photograph source is Peter MacDonald, The Special Forces, Chartwell Books, 1987, p. 209)

Wolverine
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Wolverine on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Here is a new KMarns item for my collection - a 3-cell FAL magazine pouch, without a shoulder strap. On the rear there is a brass hook that engages the pistol belt to keep the pouch from sliding off.

masive
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Marc
    Registration date : 2016-10-11
    Number of posts : 47

Post by masive on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:12 am

Nice Collection of KM Webbing. In my experience it is not easy to find. I have mag pouches in white which use the MP of them. Here is a nice Link about their Equipment.

http://johanskoudeoorlogmariniers.blogspot.de

Wolverine
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Wolverine on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:44 pm

masive wrote:Nice Collection of KM Webbing. In my experience it is not easy to find. I have mag pouches in white which use the MP of them. Here is a nice Link about their Equipment.

http://johanskoudeoorlogmariniers.blogspot.de

Thank you. Yes, I have often referred to that page - it is very well illustrated.

After several visits to the Netherlands, I agree that the KMarns webbing is not common to find.

Here are some pouches made in white webbing, for pistol ammunition, and the FAL (this one is poor shape now):

masive
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Marc
    Registration date : 2016-10-11
    Number of posts : 47

Post by masive on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:12 am

This is my pouch. I bought it in a Military and Outdoor shop. At the Time of the sale I did Not know what I have.

Wolverine
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Wolverine on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:51 pm

That is a pretty nice ample - still very clean.

I have also a 2-cell pouch like this one in olive drab. I am still looking for the pistol magazine pouch in olive drab.

I think there must have been a pistol belt made in white webbing, but I have not found one yet.

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5571

Post by CollectinSteve on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:02 am

I am not surprised that it is difficult to find this equipment. KM is not a large force and, as you have documented here, there was not a single style of equipment used for a very long time. I congratulate you two on being adventurous and stubborn enough to try collecting full sets of the stuff Wink

Steve

michelwijnand

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 7

Post by michelwijnand on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:02 pm

You found the best website for info on KM webbing, Johan has pretty much every possible part there is.

Does anyone of you have an extra poncho roll though? Early or late type would both be fine.
    I have pretty much everything else needed to make a full impression (apart for the backpack, which I count as an optional part) but can't find a poncho roll for the life of me.

Here's my webbing as it is now. The straps hanging below the kidney pouches were added by the user, possible to rig around the pouches when they're empty. There's also
    a strap attached to the right shoulder, and an elastic to the left, possibly to function as a makeshift cheststrap or to attach some small piece of gear.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:37 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:37 am