michelwijnand
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 184

Re: Korps Mariniers Webbing

Post by michelwijnand on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:44 am

Got some more KM gear again, most of it I already had (more on that later), but some pieces are new for me, and 1 is entirely new to me as I've never seen it before.

This all came from the same person, who was in the marines around 1990, some parts also KL issue, and he said some were issue, and some were "acquired" through
    other means. I've redacted his name and number markings on request.

First the new bits, a sleepingbag carrier harness, a "mutsdas" with one side opened to use it as a scarf, a messtin (already had some but this was KM issued),
    and a shovel with a very strange cover, I never knew this existed!

Then an "aflaatharnas", looks like it is for parachute tower training, not sure how to assemble it correctly, or if
    anything might be missing.

2 Britsh P58 sleeping bag liners (1 wool, 1 nylon), KM used at least British P58, Arctic and Dutch M58 sleeping bags.

A blanket, kitbag and a bag (I think for cleaning and maintenance gear) with small bits.

In the bag was also this form that lists the gear received in "use-loan" (not sure how to translate this well).

And then a punishment form, for the massive and violent crime of not wearing a white coat in the kitchen when the cook told him to.

Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 840

Post by Wolverine on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:56 am

Neat stuff - that shovel carrier is new to me also.

michelwijnand
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by michelwijnand on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:57 am

And here's a load of stuff from him that I already had, these will be for sale, though I'll have to check if I actually already have some of the underwear pieces and a towel in my collection or not.

M87 summer suit with KM patch and rankslides, size 47, 1989.

Webbing pieces, backpack, poncho roll with poncho, bandage pouch with bandage, US made grenade pouch, KL canteen and packstraps,
    and H-suspenders that had ladder-buckles from the old type backpack added to lengthen the straps.

Old type kidney pouches, I saw the suspender loops at the back were angled, and I don't know if this is normal and if my other old pouches have this too or not.
    (this might be reserved already)

4 Towels, 4 t-shirts, 1 short underpants, 1 long underpants, 2 longsleeved undershirts, 2 sports shirts, 2 sports shorts.

KL-gear, outer mittens, 2 long underpants, 1 longsleeved undershirt, towel, 2 handkerchiefs, tent-roll with pegs and string etc.

Another nylon P58 sleeping bag liner.

michelwijnand
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by michelwijnand on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks!

Yeah it's definately a weird one, the owner said he got a lot of remarks from other interested parties about it.
    I'm gonna show it to some big-time KM collectors here who might know more.

I'm hoping it's some weird prototype from when the old leather covers fell out of use.

michelwijnand
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by michelwijnand on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Just learned that the harness is actually meant for strapping the backpack in, attaching it to your actual parachute harness, and when in stable flight you can undo the hooks and then the pack will drop down to a few meters below you.

The person explaining also said it was quite handy with jumping in the dark, as it gives you a short second warning when you feel the pack landing
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 840

Post by Wolverine on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:19 am

I have some kidney pouches with the angled loops also.

michelwijnand
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by michelwijnand on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:11 am

Ok, I can check my other early pouch tomorrow, I do know my late type has straight horizontal loops.

Oh and I got some intel from someone that has been in the marines since the late 80's and still is, he said the poncho rolls only ever came in
    the envelope type, and that they themselves modified them, or had them modified to open sides to fit more stuff in there, like part of the
    sleeping gear.

Also, the shown packstraps might actually be longer than the normal KL straps, but I'd have to check. Then that'd be a KM specific feature.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:39 am