loski
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 834

Belgain M1 Helmet

Post by loski on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:05 pm

I picked this Unloved Belgain M1 clone up on Ebay for the princly sum of 8 quid.
    I have plans for refurbing and turning it into an M1C
    more to follow

loski
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Re: Belgain M1 Helmet

Post by loski on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:08 am

Liner after renovation

Liner and shell after painting

Para A frame and chin strap press stud

The story so far, I removed the remnants of the the rotted out suspension unit from the liner and lightly sanded it over inside and out. I also lightly sanded the inside of the shell as I was leaving the original rough texturing on the shell it was not sanded both the liner and shell were wiped over inside and out with white spirit to remove any dust, then the inside was given a coat of clear satin floor varnish, I then fitted a new suspension unit that I made from pale olive cotton herringbone webbing held in with brass tube rivets I reused the original A washers, Para A frames from a wrecked  post war liner were fitted along with the press studs for attaching the shell to the liner with the extended chin strap at this stage. Once all that was done I gave the outside of the liner and the inside of the shell a couple of coats of Humbrol 155 matt olive enamel paint, The first coat on the outside of the of the shell needs to be lightly dusted with finely ground cork while it is wet to give the shell its rough texture. You need to leave 12 hours drying time between coats. (It takes approximately 3 14ml pots to do a liner and shell).

loski
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by loski on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:10 am

Ok job done I have painted my helmet as a tribute to the members of the 506 PIR E coy
    I know that there are a few things that are not right but it was not made to con some unsuspecting collector out of a large
    amount of money but it maybe used for the odd airsoft game.
    Please feel free to comment.
    Graham

bolo
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2009-09-23
    Number of posts : 70

Post by bolo on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:51 pm

I think it could use some "aging" or weathering, it was common for soldiers to smear wet mud on the helmet for camo, maybe you could get some dirt and use a bucket and add water to make a thin mud mixture and brush it on and when it dries you can brush off some loose dirt and leave enough to give it that field used look

I would also brush some muddy water on the chin straps to stain them or make them more dingy / soiled, another tip is to leave the helmet outdoors in the sun, rain humidity for a few months so the hardware and other exposed metal can get a little rust to make it have a weathered rusty faded, used look

it could also use a few light scuffs or nicks to simulate a field use, especially around the edges and the top of the helmet, soldiers often laid the helmet in the dirt and the top would get scratched and worn more in that area

the nylon netting looks too modern, I would recommend a piece of old used fishing net made of cotton.

then it would look good enough as a movie prop / reenactment helmet

loski
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by loski on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:46 pm

bolo wrote:I think it could use some "aging" or weathering, it was common for soldiers to smear wet mud on the helmet for camo, maybe you could get some dirt and use a bucket and add water to make a thin mud mixture and brush it on and when it dries you can brush off some loose dirt and leave enough to give it that field used look

I would also brush some muddy water on the chin straps to stain them or make them more dingy / soiled, another tip is to leave the helmet outdoors in the sun, rain humidity for a few months so the hardware and other exposed metal can get a little rust to make it have a weathered rusty faded, used look

it could also use a few light scuffs or nicks to simulate a field use, especially around the edges and the top of the helmet, soldiers often laid the helmet in the dirt and the top would get scratched and worn more in that area

the nylon netting looks too modern, I would recommend a piece of old used fishing net made of cotton.

then it would look good enough as a movie prop /  reenactment helmet

I agree about the net Im looking for a British style one in cotton the nylon one was handy so it got used. I am going to replace the Nato green ones with a kahki one as and when the finances allow.
    I dont think I will be leaving it laying out in the garden for a month or so as the local scroatery would have it away

loski
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by loski on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 pm

New net made and fitted

bolo
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2009-09-23
    Number of posts : 70

Post by bolo on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Ive seen a few WWII wartime photos with some US soldiers with hand made helmet nets, I think they would of used any type of net available, like old pieces of fishing nets, cargo nets, field made hand tied nets.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:16 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:16 pm