IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
CollectinSteve
Philip
nkomo
7 posters

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms

nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3282

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Empty Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms

Post by nkomo Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:08 pm

BDU
    Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Bdujac11

DCU 6 Color
    Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Bdu-6-10

DCU 3-Color
    Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms 3rdcav11

T-Pat
    Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms User5011

Last edited by nkomo on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Empty Re: Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms

Post by nkomo Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Desert MARPAT
    Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Marine10

Woodland MARPAT
    Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Marpat10

3-Color CCU
    Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Pictu102

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Empty Re: Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms

Post by nkomo Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:20 pm

ACU
    Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Acu-pi10

ABU
    Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Abu20s10

NWU
    Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms New_us10

ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 3066

Post by Philip Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:45 pm

nkomo wrote:
    T-Pat
    Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms User5011

haha, i know that pic!!!

here's a camo guide i did some months ago for another forum. most us patterns (vn-present) i know. most of them are from my collection.
    except: experimental ERDL, experimental usmc tiger stripe, experimental urban marpat, scorpion camo, track pattern and all over brush
    DUE TO COPYRIGHT REASONS I HAVE REMOVED THIS PICTURES. sorry...

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu2533qt6
    wine leaf/mitchell camo

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu254puag
    same helmet cover, other side

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu2434i63
    green dominant ERDL

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu249iqcz
    brown dominant ERDL

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu248srgh
    RDF ERDL/transitional camo

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu250bi00
    6 color desert

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu236lutz
    night desert

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu239cpkn
    M81 woodland

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neuerordner061mo26
    3 color desert

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu240nqc4
    experimental USMC urban (reversible,other side woodland) camo

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu241xpj9
    experimental urban camo aka t-pattern

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Forum1054vlko
    experimantal desert marpat

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu2470qrh
    desert marpat

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu2454zgl
    woodland marpat

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Forum9009iaa0
    snow marpat (experimental)

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu2441oec
    UCP

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Sep1013c6rp
    air force tiger stripe (experimental)

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu246tocr
    air force digital tiger stripe

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu252hrut
    navy camo woodland grey/blue (experimental)

Pictures and Definitions for US Uniforms Neu242yv6f
    navy camo digital grey/blue

Last edited by derxsammler on Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks for adding the pictures!

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6537

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:15 pm

Good stuff! However, you should not call that Woodland CCU (name of "Robinson" on the chest) a M81 since it isn't Very Happy The M81 designation is the official designation of the BDU and shouldn't be used in connection with the experimental CCU, even though it uses the same cloth.

Also note that the Marines had an experimental MARPAT uniform with the same construction as the experimental Tiger Stripe uniform (as pictured above). The colors are a little bit different than the production MARPAT. I've got a full set including 8 point cover.

Steve
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Name : Andrew
    Number of posts : 930

Post by AndrewA74 Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:14 pm

UCP?
    Andrew
    bond007a1
    bond007a1
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Steven
    Registration date : 2009-02-12
    Number of posts : 2098

Post by bond007a1 Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:18 pm

yeah..I am not sure what a UCP is either?

Steven

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:31 pm

"Universal Camouflage Pattern". This isn't what that uniform should be called either Smile Thats an ACU, which uses the UCP. I'm not sure if UCP is official or not. ACUPAT is by far the more common term I've seen and it fits right in with MARPAT.

Oh, and the official name is Army Combat Uniform. It was originally called Advanced Combat Uniform during development, but at some point it was switched to Army.

Steve
    Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Number of posts : 3066

Post by Philip Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:07 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:
    "Universal Camouflage Pattern". This isn't what that uniform should be called either Smile Thats an ACU, which uses the UCP.
    it's a camo guide not a uniform guide! pirat
    CollectinSteve wrote:you should not call that Woodland CCU a M81 since it isn't Very Happy The M81 designation is the official designation of the BDU and shouldn't be used in connection with the experimental CCU, even though it uses the same cloth.
    ok, but i don't see any problems there. like you said before... it's the same camo pattern!
    CollectinSteve wrote:
    Also note that the Marines had an experimental MARPAT uniform with the same construction as the experimental Tiger Stripe uniform (as pictured above). The colors are a little bit different than the production MARPAT. I've got a full set including 8 point cover.
    please post it!!!!

i think there will always be some differences of opinions in the "proper" designation of some uniforms or patterns. for example some folks call the chocolate chip bdu a "dcu". i heard it should be desert bdu or dbdu. in my opinion only the coffee stain dcu is a dcu...
    or the acu... yeah everybody knows that there's just one camo for it. in everyday language i call it (like many others) acu (meaning the pattern). but is "army combat uniform" really a pattern?

i hope there are not too many grammar or spelling mistakes! Neutral

regards,
    philip

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi Philip,

it's a camo guide not a uniform guide!

Smile

ok, but i don't see any problems there. like you said before... it's the same camo pattern!

The correct terminology for the camouflage itself is "Woodland". This is a term that is loosely thrown around to represent temperate uniforms, but it is the official name of the camouflage pattern used for the M81 BDU uniform. Remember, this camouflage pattern was used for other items, such as winter suits, hot weather ripstop, etc.

please post it!!!!

I'll try to do this sometime next week.

[quote]i think there will always be some differences of opinions in the "proper" designation of some uniforms or patterns. [/quote

Absolutely! Usually because the militaries of this world often do not bother to name the uniforms differently than the camouflage itself. Also, common use of a name sometimes makes it more meaningful than what it is officially called. For example, DPCU and and DPDU are the official terms for the Australian normal and desert camouflage uniforms. But we collectors tend to call it AUSCAM and Desert AUSCAM (or Bunny Spot and Desert Bunny Spot Wink). I bet most owners of Australian camouflage would recognize the term AUSCAM but not DPCU.

or the acu... yeah everybody knows that there's just one camo for it. in everyday language i call it (like many others) acu (meaning the pattern). but is "army combat uniform" really a pattern?

The usual way I see it written is ACU = the uniform, AUCPAT = the camouflage. Again, it isn't official but it is a nice linked association between the two. There are, of course, more items made in ACUPAT (UCP) than just the standard ACU. There is the A2CU, cold weather gear, wet weather gear, and of course equipment covers of various sorts. Most likely other things I'm forgetting about! So it is very useful to have a name for the camouflage pattern separate from the uniform.

Steve
    HoovieDude
    HoovieDude
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-04-04
    Number of posts : 351

Post by HoovieDude Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Speaking purely as one who wore the various uniforms, I can tell you that ACUPAT is not in the daily lingo of those who wear them. At least none that I heard while wearing them, or at work, where others around me still do. Simply referred to as ACU's. When talking about the camo pattern, it is often just referred to as "ACU" as well... "Hey, check out this new camelback in ACU".

BDU's were BDU's, and the woodland camo pattern was again, more often referred to as "BDU". DCU's, same. The early DBDU, were simply called "deserts" or "choclate chips". DBDU is just downright a tongue twister if trying to say it alot, lol. Never heard them called "DCU's" back when they were used, "back when".

Not trying to be a prick, but I always find it funny to hear people get wrapped up in the names and nomenclature of uniforms and kit. I know for collecting purposes, it is good to know all the details, especially when looking for fakes,etc.. But the majority of those who use it for work, you wouldn't hear them say something like"

" Hey Joe, its about to go. Would you please hand me my Mark 1 Hooptie, so I can put it on my Mark 3A thingy, so it matches my M9000 gidget in terms of color and pattern."

Instead, you would hear:

"Hey dick, ruck up and give me my sh*t, its time to move". Laughing
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:32 pm

" Hey Joe, its about to go. Would you please hand me my Mark 1 Hooptie, so I can put it on my Mark 3A thingy, so it matches my M9000 gidget in terms of color and pattern."

Instead, you would hear:

"Hey dick, ruck up and give me my sh*t, its time to move". Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:39 am

HoovieDude,

Not trying to be a prick, but I always find it funny to hear people get wrapped up in the names and nomenclature of uniforms and kit. I know for collecting purposes, it is good to know all the details, especially when looking for fakes,etc..

There definitely is a difference between using and collecting something. The norm for users is to not pay too much attention to details, the norm for collectors is to pay attention to nothing but the details. It's like when a motorhead (a guy who LOVES cars/trucks) comes up to an average car owner and says, "what engine do you have in there? Is it the double carb four barrel overhead cam shaft with inline plugs and the optional cup holder for your beer?" and the car's owner says "Uhmm... it takes super unleaded and starts when I turn this here key". Very Happy

As a collector these details, of course, matter. When you're in the US Army in 1986 and need a new set of pants because you ripped to Hell your old set, you go to the PX and they only need to know what size (which they won't have, of course Wink). When you're a collector in 2010 and a guy says he'll send a set of 1986 dated US Army pants in a particular size... well... that's not really going to get a deal done.

What makes this difficult is that there aren't a lot of official names for the patterns distinct from the uniforms themselves. It gets damned confusing sometimes. Especially when looking for production variants that aren't named at all.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:34 am