IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Army bans Magpul mags? Nope.

John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-09-11
    Number of posts : 234

Army bans Magpul mags?  Nope. Empty Army bans Magpul mags? Nope.

Post by John Brown Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:53 am

alphaproduction wrote:Don't say it won't happen, the army had already ban the use of Magpul Mag on it's unit.
    Nope.

They've not banned anything.

Military.com wrote:Army officials acknowledged June 6 that TACOM’s message was poorly written and not intended as a directive on the use of PMAGs. Matthew Bourke, an Army spokesman at the Pentagon responding to questions from Mililtary.com, said the message should have included guidance that the final decision rests with commanders in the field.
    “At best, the message is incomplete; at worst the message allows soldiers to jump to the wrong conclusions,” Bourke said. “Maintenance Information Messages [from TACOM] are permissive. They are not an order. They are not a directive. All content and direction in those messages are optional for the recipient.”

Army Now Says No Ban on Rifle Magazines - Military.com

Who's got the next myth?
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6538

Army bans Magpul mags?  Nope. Empty Re: Army bans Magpul mags? Nope.

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:32 am

I smell something and it isn't "poor wording". My take is someone made a decision that was made deep within an office, perhaps prompted by a meeting with some mag contractors worried about the drop off in sales now that we're not blowing through millions of rounds a year. The decision was made, the announcement put out to the public, and HOLY CRAP did they get push back from just about everybody. Now it's scramble time and suddenly "we forgot to say it is optional". Right Very Happy

Steve
    John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by John Brown Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:51 am

I can see your point, but I can also see the "badly worded" release, too.

Magpul Pmags have NSNs and are expected to be ordered and used by the troops.

How can you ban the use of something that is in the supply chain?
    alphaproduction
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2012-06-06
    Number of posts : 119

Post by alphaproduction Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:42 am

Well, i say what i saw

Again this is the link, you need to replace (dot) with . I am just a new account, can't link HTML

http(Colon)//offgridsurvival(dot)com/armybanspmags/

believe it or not is up to you, i am not making this up man, it has been discussed for at least 2 months in military dot com, maybe they are not banning it, i don't know.....Well my opinion is PMag is better than those Standard STANAG mag i have no stance on this matter, i was just teling you an article i saw about 2 months ago.

Please don't make it like i make stuff up

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:11 am

We're all getting our info third hand and there are two definite stories out there. One is that there was a directive to stop using the mags. And that certainly is how the original notification reads... not optional. The second story is that "we didn't mean that! What we meant to say is..."

Which means you are both right. The directive originally said the mags are now a no-go, but now it's been reversed (oh sorry, "clarified") so that it's commander's discretion.

As I said, this has all the markings of a BAD decision and follow up face saving attempt.

Just because something has a NSN doesn't mean it can never be pulled from service. Otherwise things with NSN numbers from 30 years ago could still be used. And we know that isn't the case Very Happy Which means the item has to be "blessed" as well as having a NSN. In some cases stuff is "blessed" with no NSN.

Steve
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:12 am

BTW, I first heard about this because a Marines Lt Colonel friend of mine found it hilarious Very Happy

Steve
    alphaproduction
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by alphaproduction Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:53 am

Ban it or not, our soldiers are gonna use it anyway. You can't relly cry out "Stop using P-mag" in the heat of battle......
    The same deal happen when they found out IBA wasn't that almighty. Then they stop soldier from buying 3rd party armor and wear it inside the IBA and cite insurance reason....
    I mean you rather you die and collect the insurance or you want to save your life??

My person view is, P-MAg is not a lot better than STANAG, it is better, it's lighter, tighter and less jam. It's stupid political decision to ban it if they decided to do so anyway....
    Rich83
    Rich83
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Rich
    Registration date : 2012-03-24
    Number of posts : 143

Post by Rich83 Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:12 am

I read somewhere that the PMAG's were more prone to failing? Yes they are lighter but there was definitely something wrong with them, they did trials on an M4 and fire a gazillion rounds and found a large percentage of fails like 20% I think.
    alphaproduction
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by alphaproduction Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:25 am

I think P-Mag was only a bit better than the STANAG mag. It's lighter so you don't have the "Solid" feeling you have with the Stanag mag. What I mean solid mean you do not have the feeling that the mag is properly feeded into the mag well, even they are.

What i heard is, why Pmag pissed Top brass off is becuase PMag cannot be used with other STANAG country, if a british Soldier pick up a PMag it will be of no use to their L85A2. That kind of destroyed the whole STANAG system (Where it can be interchanged with other NATO nation) That's why the Army trying to ban in. I don't know if that's true tho, i've just heard about it.

I think if they change to Emag, it will be no problem on that......
    John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by John Brown Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Rich83 wrote:I read somewhere that the PMAG's were more prone to failing? Yes they are lighter but there was definitely something wrong with them, they did trials on an M4 and fire a gazillion rounds and found a large percentage of fails like 20% I think.
    Sounds like you've been reading propaganda posted by the metal magazine industry.

If Pmags didn't work better than the decades-old-design aluminum ones, I seriously doubt they'd be used as much as they are. Think about it - you don't see Tapco polymer AR15 mags being used over in the sandbox, do you?

alphaproduction wrote:
    What i heard is, why Pmag pissed Top brass off is becuase PMag cannot be used with other STANAG country, if a british Soldier pick up a PMag it will be of no use to their L85A2. That kind of destroyed the whole STANAG system (Where it can be interchanged with other NATO nation) That's why the Army trying to ban in. I don't know if that's true tho, i've just heard about it.
    I think you've been reading some weird stuff. The Pmag fits where the regular mags do.

To use your example, the British L85 is designed to use steel AR15 mags designed by Heckler & Koch. These "destroy the STANAG system", too, as they're slightly bigger than the standard aluminum STANAG mags.
    alphaproduction
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by alphaproduction Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:35 pm

I think PMag can no gurantee be fitted to FAMAS, L85A2 and HKG36, that's why the company pick up the EMag Solution, for exported mag.

In their website, it said "PMag can be competible with AR15/M16 Series" and read somewhere that the rib design will get stuck on most foreign weapon. and even on the magpul site, the thing they said about EMag indicate that PMag cannot be fitted properly without modification into foreign weapon.

"While EMAG remains 100% compatible with the AR15/M16 platform, its unique geometry is optimized for foreign-made weapons such as the HK 36, British SA-80, M27 IAR, and others"

But don't quote me on that, i have only ever used PMag on a M16. I have not have a chance to get a L85A2 and HK416 or stuff like that to try on the PMag. Again, not having tried it myself, i cannot say for sure it is true or not, as with my last post, i cannot vouch for this information validity, i just read it on some Gun's Forum

I just know before January this year, if you want to use a standard Pmag 30 on a G36, you need an adaptor, and they now have a PMag just for HKG36.
    And also i just know if you check magpul website, there are different PMag under Pmag category that were specifically design with different weapon (You will see PMag for G36, PMag for SR-25/M110).

This is what i know

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:22 pm