IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Easy Gee
Philip
vonstuck
saltefanden
8 posters

Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined

saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined Empty Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined

Post by saltefanden Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:57 am

Hi all, found this in a militaria shop in Nice, France, this week.

The shopkeeper assured me this was a real French Army issue piece, but I have never seen one like it.
    It is made from HBT fabric, is water repellant and fully lined with a sand coloured Thinsulate lining. The lower inner pocket contains a button-on hood.

Can anyone tell me if whether this is the real deal or just a high quality repro, please?

Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined Img_0310

Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined Img_0311

Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined Img_0312

Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined Img_0313

Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined Img_0314

Any added info will be greatly appreciated, cheers!
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3395

Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined Empty Re: Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined

Post by vonstuck Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:36 pm

Hello
    First time I see that!
    I have not information
    Gilles
    Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 3117

Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined Empty Re: Daguet-pattern HBT parka, fully lined

Post by Philip Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:01 pm

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Fremdenlegion-Tarn-Parka-Jacke-Sand-Wuste-88L-DAGUET-AFGHANISTAN-LEGION-Legion-/130775555808?pt=Militaria&hash=item1e72d49ee0

Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Completely new to me too Ronnie, but I like it a lot, I have not seen anything like this before!!!

I will watch this post with interest as I am keen to find out more, as I know you are too!

saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Thank you all for your quick responses.

The fact that Dr. Vonstuck does not know of this item worries me beyond belief Very Happy
    I still fear it is a fake or unissued piece.

In the store (Rue Marceau, Nice) was several similar jackets, complete with lining, only in the CCE, woodland pattern and in used condition.
    The eBay auction Philip has linked to (thank you for that!) describes the jacket as a paratrooper item, but construction is much more like a US M/65 warming jacket, only in HBT material.

Hope to learn more, and if anyone wish to see additional pictures, do ask!

Cheers and all the best!
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:04 pm

That looks like a commercial piece to me. A BEAUTIFUL commercial piece, though Very Happy The details on it are very consistent with genuine pieces, including the label and snaps. However, I doubt a French military piece would have a Thinsulate label with the English terms "TM" and "Insulation". The UPC tag is also in English, which may or may not be an indication of origin.

Gilles found one on eBay, also in new condition. The fact that a shop had several of these, including in CCE (which doesn't seem to be the correct style for CCE), and there's also some on eBay... it leans things towards commercial.

Gilles can answer about the style. Most European nations have detachable liners instead of sewn in liners. I don't know what the current standard is for French winter clothing, but I suspect they also have detachable.

Steve
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:08 pm

Steve, I hear what you are saying, and lean very much towards your conclusion.

The store I bought it in had only this one in desert, all others where CCE and like I said in well used condition.

The eBay speciment that Philip linked to is indeed similar, and would indicate a further accessabilty/commercial item. But again, the general construction of the garment suggests a warm-piece, rather like some of the fixed-liner US M81-pattern M/65 I own.
    I have been screening this forum and others about info on 'Daguet' patterned pieces. I gather that only French AF and navy use this pattern at present, which may explain why the current eBay offer is calling it a 'para' item, or that AF or navy personel may be more prone to cold enviroments and would need a warm-piece?

I wouldn't mind it being a commercial piece; I'm just thrilled to own a piece of Daguet-patterned equipment, which for strange reasons has eluded me for years! But any further info would be welcome!

Thank you all again for the inputs and for looking!!
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:56 am

Whoops... yeah, Philip found the link, not Gilles. oops Wink

That eBay seller claims everything he has is Legion or Airborne, so a grain of salt for that one Wink But there are so many features of this coat I would not expect on a commercial piece. hmmm... well, maybe this is in that gray area of private purchase? I always wondered what French soldiers wear for warmth in a desert environment.

BTW, I've got a 2001 dated hat and a helmet cover I can send your way next trade.

Steve
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Number of posts : 446

Post by fourtycoats Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:56 am

I have an identical parka made by Seyntex, I bought 5 years ago from a Belgian dealer. It was the only one I has seen until now. I think your parka is genuine issue. CSV is a big supplier to the French military and commercial items from such sellers tend not have labels with "length",(C,M or L) shown.I think you may find that the chevron cloth has a waterproof backing, not breathable but still nice.
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:38 am

Cheers fourtycoats, that is great news!

And yes, while a nicely constructed piece, you need no more than a few minutes in it to build up a good sweat, as breathability is close to 0%.
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3395

Post by vonstuck Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Hello
    Sure, it is not a Daguet period garment
    Military or commercial, i don't know
    I think it is military because I have a parka in CE pattern with the same bar code
    http://vonstuckcamouflage.free.fr/france.php

Gilles
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Good news indeed! But I'm still scratching my head about the English language elements. Gilles, is this common for current French items?

Steve
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:52 am

Thank you Gilles for the reference, gosh you have an unbelieveable French collection, I am in awe!
    And this is definately a recent item and not Daguet period.

And Steve, thank you for your everpresent professional sceptisism! Really!
    But I believe, even with my very limited command of the French language, that all words on the barcode tag are used in French, only desert is usually 'desért'.

Oh, and do throw in the French hat and cover in our next trade! Very Happy
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:12 pm

I already checked out common French and English words, knowing that so many are common. On the UPC tag I suppose they couldn't hack the accent mark for some reason, so I think you're right that this is definitely a French tag. I'm still scratching my head about the Thinsulate label, but I suppose that's not a big deal.

Very nice.

Steve
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Imported fabric ?

Known for its quality and branding ?
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:04 am

Yup, I'm sure that's the answer now that it's looking to be legitimate. Now that I think of it this sort of thing is happening more often now. In the past the military would license something, slap a boring name on it (oh, how about "fabric, water resistant" Smile), and call it good.

One of the reasons it surprises me to see ANY English on a French uniform is because France has some pretty restrictive laws protecting French language. I'm surprised that an official government made item would have anything English on it.

Steve
    JuFR
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2013-01-15
    Number of posts : 10

Post by JuFR Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:59 am

From my point of view,
    * it is not a commercial parka
    * it is not a daguet period jacket
    => it is an French Air force parka (it exists the same in CCE)
    Julien
    JuFR
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2013-01-15
    Number of posts : 10

Post by JuFR Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:00 am

161/04 on the label means the 161 pieces on year 2004
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 am

Merci, Julien! Great information.

I know it is not Daguet period, simply most collectors I've met call the pattern 'Daguet' in reference to the first time it was issued in the Gulf War.
    I will simply refer to the pattern as French desert camouflage from now! Very Happy

Thank you again!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 pm