IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Sgt P.
Gemini
mk209
7 posters

My first piece of Finnish, M91 jacket

mk209
    mk209
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2012-05-23
    Number of posts : 218

My first piece of Finnish, M91 jacket Empty My first piece of Finnish, M91 jacket

Post by mk209 Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Finally got my first item of Finish uniform, an M91 lightweight jacket. It's actually a lot darker than the pics make it out to be. No patches but I do have the correct UN patch for it.

My first piece of Finnish, M91 jacket Finjkt1

My first piece of Finnish, M91 jacket Finjkt2

As per usual it's a bit big for me but rarely things come up in the correct size, especially for me!

Matt.

Gemini
    Gemini
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : clayton
    Registration date : 2011-08-26
    Number of posts : 305

My first piece of Finnish, M91 jacket Empty Re: My first piece of Finnish, M91 jacket

Post by Gemini Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:38 am

I like that!Reminds me of the Swedish M90.
    Sgt P.
    Sgt P.
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-01-07
    Number of posts : 168

My first piece of Finnish, M91 jacket Empty Re: My first piece of Finnish, M91 jacket

Post by Sgt P. Sat May 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Matt, Good first find on the M91 Finnish jacket. There is a surplus shop in Hellsinki that sells many differant patterns. Their shipping should not be too much as it will be sent to Scotland. I deal with a company called varusteleka.

My friend in the Finnish military sometimes can find other items. Many of the older uniforms are for sale. I will try to see if my friend has some contact info on the surplus shop there in Hellsinki, Finland. Harder items to find are the Finnish Helleasu desert camouflage. I believe that the government is looking at a new pattern for their troops heading overseas. Sgt P.
    mk209
    mk209
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2012-05-23
    Number of posts : 218

Post by mk209 Sat May 11, 2013 6:08 pm

I'd love to be able to get hold of more items, I've tried Varusteleka before but they said they don't have any Finnish items. You can easily get the M62 reversible uniform here but newer items are just impossible to find here.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2781

My first piece of Finnish, M91 jacket Empty my first piece of Finnish, M91 jacket

Post by ripcord Sat May 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Nice score Matt,

Been after one of these uniforms for awhile. Beautiful colors and cut closely to the Swedish (masterpiece) M90.

Enjoy...rip...

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Sun May 12, 2013 2:22 pm

I have a genuine jacket in poor condition and a brand new set which is apparently designed for reservists (M62 also had such things). The commercial version is identical to the government issue type as far as I can tell. If you care about genuine issue you should be careful to see evidence of tags.

Steve
    english_voodoo
    english_voodoo
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2013-02-14
    Number of posts : 17

Post by english_voodoo Tue May 14, 2013 7:40 pm

I visited a shop in Helsinki that sold uniforms for reservists about 8 years ago (not Varusteleka) & managed to get a pair of trousers to match a UN badged lightweight M91 jacket that I'd acquired before off ebay. The guy behind the counter wouldn't sell me the trousers until I'd produced my military reservist I.D (which of course I didn't have) - after a long discussion I managed to convince him that I was a crazy English collector & that I wouldn't be telling the authorities he'd sold me them & that I would pay in cash. He sold me them eventually, but wouldn't even allow me a receipt! Laughing They were definitely mil-spec, but had a civilian style label in them, I looked at the jackets as well & they were identical to the issue one I had in cut, construction & poppers/zippers etc, except for the label. I would share photo's but I traded the set for 'Nam stuff with QCkid a couple of years back..
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Thu May 16, 2013 6:49 pm

Fun story! I've seen some of these commercial M62 sets, used, being sold alongside genuine issue stuff. Which is a little odd because if you private purchase you get to keep it as far as I know.

When CADPAT was almost brand new (2 years out) I was in a surplus shop in Montreal. Great one too! I got talking with the owner about all kinds of militaria stuff. He said "wait here" and came back with something. After checking the shop carefully he showed me a set of genuine CADPAT trousers from behind the counter. He asked if I would be interested. Yeah, that's like asking an obese guy who hasn't eaten in a week if he wants a Pizza. No price too high Wink

Steve
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Thu May 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Since these so-called "commercial" samples are identical in every way to the originals as far as I can tell, wouldn't it be logical to conclude that they are just former service uniforms which have had the small adjacent "castle" cloth tags removed?

Someone produced an example a while back that showed signs of this I believe.
    english_voodoo
    english_voodoo
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2013-02-14
    Number of posts : 17

Post by english_voodoo Fri May 17, 2013 5:56 am

The 'commercial' finnish m91 trousers that I bought were brand spanking new, no sign whatsoever of any other tags being removed. I'd be interested to see the example you mentioned - can you remember if it was m91 or the older 'reversible' m62 camo? I visited Finland in 2003 & 2004, just before the digital pattern was introduced, so the m91 was the current pattern at the time, I *do* remember seeing plenty of m62 stuff available in charity/thrift shops then, although without the castle logo label, maybe it was 'de-milled' by either the previous owners or the store staff?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm