IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?

LeeKitchen1975
    LeeKitchen1975
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Name : Lee
    Registration date : 2012-09-11
    Number of posts : 553

BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Empty BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?

Post by LeeKitchen1975 Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:49 am

Bought the attached for the well known government surplus site, there was a few of these. I know BCB provides trial items, wonder if this is one. Very well made fleece with Goretex reinforced shoulders and elbows...for £20 it's a bargain.

BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Image17

BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Image18

BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Image19

BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Image20

BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Image21

BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Image22
    austromunga
    austromunga
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-11-24
    Number of posts : 267

BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Empty Re: BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?

Post by austromunga Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:11 am

Looks like a copy of the Austrian Alpine fleece to me!!!
    even down to the thumb holes, Velcro arm shields, Most Austrian army patches are shaped this way to fit!!
    £20 is a very good price tho!!!

BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Imag1924BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Imag1925BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Imag1927
    LeeKitchen1975
    LeeKitchen1975
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?  Empty Re: BCB Brown Fleece with Goretex - trial item?

Post by LeeKitchen1975 Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:57 am

Very nice fleece, happy with it, just wonder why BCB have produced it?
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2283

Post by mylle Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:08 am

Now thats what I call a cheeky copy. Laughing Laughing The German Bundeswehr also
    copied the Austrian fleecejacket cut,Miltec and MFH did it too for commercial pieces.
    James K
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2015-09-18
    Number of posts : 155

Post by James K Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:18 am

BCB don't produce anything, like the boot contractor Itturri, they source things from other manufacturers and supply them under a whole contract. It's called smart procurement but represents poor value for money as each company wants a profit and the MOD pays more.
    LeeKitchen1975
    LeeKitchen1975
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by LeeKitchen1975 Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:29 am

Interesting that James as I got it from the MOD supplier, there was quite s few of them so only can presume they were procured for testing but binned?!
    James K
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by James K Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:24 pm

I'm not sure Lee, some units can write a requirement and get kit, others can purchase kit as a Regimental purchase. I know this isn't the SF Fleece, that is a lovely thing, although it has patches on the shoulder and arms like this one.
    LeeKitchen1975
    LeeKitchen1975
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by LeeKitchen1975 Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:15 pm

If you can get a pic of the SF fleece, would love to see it! Smile
    James K
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by James K Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:28 pm

Sorry but they are photo shy.  I was an ex military civil servant with the MOD History section now I work as a consultant historian. I spend less time where I used to work but there were always a lot of SF people around, 18 Sigs mostly but a number of others. None of them were keen on having their photos taken.  Although the museum at Blandford Camp is open to the public, has an SF display (lots of kit there and you will usually see SF people in the cafe.

Their fleece is like a softshell-microfleece in Coyote tan with matching waterproof zips on the pockets, velcro patch on each arm and goretex on the shoulders and forearms.  Nice as it happens, part of the new Tantalus clothing system the seem to be some with a hood and others without. Other oddities of the Tantalus range is a blue thermal working suit for the SBS, combat trousers with spandex panels behind the knee with detachable knee pads and a matching UBACS shirt, some of the latter are MTP but others Multicam. There is also some type of AKU Boot thing
    LeeKitchen1975
    LeeKitchen1975
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by LeeKitchen1975 Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:13 pm

Thank you James really insightful read! Smile
    Bert353
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2018-02-03
    Number of posts : 93

Post by Bert353 Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:48 am

@ James K:
    Hello, Lately I see this often, people who writes that the patches on the shoulders and forearms (at the underside of them) are Goretex.
    Ask yourself, what would be the purpose of them? waterproofness on the bottom of your forearm?
    On the shoulders? maybe, but forarm? NO for sure.
    I think that you must think more of the woollie pully, polycotton patches to reduce usure.

But here, someone made that mistake, and others follow.
    If in doubt, try it out, no water should pass through that patch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:03 am