IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka

metal73
    metal73
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Andreas
    Registration date : 2014-11-27
    Number of posts : 330

Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka Empty Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka

Post by metal73 Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:17 am

Found this Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka with name tag inside. I hope the Austrian experts have more information about this jacket  Smile

Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka 01_zpsgrdhifjj
    Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka 02_zps6fo8tkdw
    Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka 03_zps99bldoa5
    Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka 05_zpsg4xszwfh
    Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka 06_zpssimrs0fz
    Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka 07_zpspw5uiz6b
    James K
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2015-09-19
    Number of posts : 155

Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka Empty Re: Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka

Post by James K Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:46 pm

I like that, with the slightly less pink shades I find it very reminiscent of the later Australian pattern. I really don't understand why the Austrians ditched it in favour of plan green
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Interesting piece! This is what I've called the 57/59 Transitional uniform. It has some features of M57, but also some of M59. It was made in significant numbers, mostly in 1959 (I've only seen one piece made in 1958). Looks like they removed the sleeves so they could add longer ones for a specific soldier. My guess is the modifications are original to its time in service.

The name tape is very interesting! It could be the same type that was very rarely worn on the front of the uniform over the left breast pocket (IIRC). I've never seen one sewn inside a jacket before.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2781

Post by ripcord Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:26 pm

Austrian  parkas were recycled over and over again..

As Steve says , very likely the original sleeves were modified to longer sleeves ; these parkas originally had notoriously short sleeves ...

Perhaps they were meant to be worn with long gauntlets.. Infantry trousers are often found with short legs as well..

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:26 am

ripcord wrote:Austrian  parkas were recycled over and over again..

Yup, right up through the 1980s! They were worn by opposing forces (OPFOR) in wargames. Even some mention of reservists using it for a while.

As Steve says , very likely the original sleeves were modified to longer sleeves ; these parkas originally had notoriously short sleeves ...

Perhaps they were meant  to be worn with long gauntlets.. Infantry trousers are often found with short legs as well..

Actually, the likely answer is the side effect of these uniforms being designed to be worn over a bulky wool uniform and/or winter liner. To make that work you need more girth, not length. The same is true for the Splittertarn, Belgian, and Swiss for the same reason. Either that or Europeans went through a phase of looking rather disproportional Very Happy

This might indicate that the parka's arms were lengthened later on when a light cotton or cotton/poly (depending on timeframe) was worn underneath. You know, when the average sized person would look silly in a larger jacket with the correct arm length.

Hmmmm... this gets me thinking. The Swiss rebuilt lots of sleeves of 1960s jackets to the 1970s/80s specifications (which were very minor changes). I thought it was to bring them up to current standards, but now I'm wondering if it was to lengthen them so they would be usable by soldiers of the 1970s and 1980s. Yeah, that sounds pretty likely.

Steve
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2283

Post by mylle Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:06 am

I'm pretty sure the sleeves are taken from a KAZ 69 jacket.Because of the color and fabric.And usually the name were smaller on the frontside and not that big like on the inner side of this one.They use this stuff still today for OPFOR and sometimes by snipers.And yes it was first ment to be worn of the wool uniform with tie! Very Happy Later they alowed to wear this stuff with the grey Drillich shirt and pants alone in summer.

http://www.bundesheer.at/misc/image_popup/ImageTool.php?strAdresse=/archiv/a2014/schutz_2014/galerie/vollbild/20140613_051123.jpg&intSeite=1680&intHoehe=1050&intMaxSeite=1680&intMaxHoehe=995&blnFremd=0

Often the name was writen on the inside of the jacket with a  ballpen or something similar.The usuall size of the frontside nametapes looked like this one:

Austrian KAZ 59 "Patchwork" Parka Img_2911
    metal73
    metal73
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Andreas
    Registration date : 2014-11-27
    Number of posts : 330

Post by metal73 Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:05 am

many thanks friends for information Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:27 am