IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
drmatz
ripcord
mylle
Camonut314
Wolverine
CollectinSteve
Haydamaka
11 posters

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip" dated 1984

Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Andy
    Registration date : 2016-02-12
    Number of posts : 2687

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 Empty Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip" dated 1984

Post by Haydamaka Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:51 pm

Hello!

On a local second-hand market I found wonderful  "Chocolate chips" jacket, a 6 Color Desert Сombat Uniform dated 1984.

Size: Small - Regular,
    Material:  50% Cotton 50% Nylon Twill                          
    Contract #: DLA100-84-C-0726                      
    Manufacturer: Terry Manufacturing Co., Inc.                            
    NSN:8415-01-102-6762                            
    Particularities: Elvis collar + inside liner in the upper back + reinforced elbows

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 C9uplDIg1fk
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 TUvbmH_8vhg
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 FoHKa0c-QXk

I tried to find out if it's real one or copy.

On the web-site: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedstatesmilitarycollection/desert-uniforms

I found some contradictional info, and that's really strange.

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"
    Coat, Desert Camouflage Pattern; Combat  (desert 6 colors)

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 1xVPbG2eXqw
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 8NGoPPuPArc

According to the site, the Contract # (DLA100-84-C-0726) corresponds to the Manufacturer (Terry Manufacturing Co., Inc.) - that's true and is seen on the tags inside,
    BUT
    this manufacturer produced only X-Small - Short sized jackets with NSN:8415-01-102-6758.

The Size (Small - Regular) and NSN:8415-01-102-6762, indicated on my jacket, correspond to another contract manufacturer - "Selma Apparel Corporation".

Another interesting fact: in a lower cargo pocket I found a small brand-new piece of paper with inscription "INSPECTED BY 10".
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 XPysP2bN99c

Any ideas, what's the matter and what it ould be?

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or suggesions!

Best regards,
    Haydamaka
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 Empty Re: Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip" dated 1984

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:01 pm

It could be that Terry Manufacturing was a sub contractor. I'm not quite sure what the rules were back in the 1980s, but the "Prime" contractor is generally allowed to "Subcontract" to fulfill orders. The Prime must take total responsibility the same as if it manufactured them.

What I am less clear about is what company name would appear.

In any case, I don't know of any fakes like this, therefore I am very sure it is genuine. The inspection ticket in the pocket looks good too.

Steve
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 Empty Re: Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip" dated 1984

Post by Haydamaka Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:10 am

Steve,
    Thank you for your response and explanations!

I agree with your arguments, and I also think that the web-site I have mentioned is not an absolutely complete source of information, and many small details are hidden after more than 30 years.

I supposed that the jacket was original during the purchasing (I checked the contract and NSN numbers), and I rejected another "chockolate chips" jacket, which seemed too much like commercial stuff - without inside liner in the upper back and very suspicious inscriptions on white ID tags.

It was a surprise for me to learn that 6-color desert pattern was invented and introduced not just before the "Desert Storm/Shield", but much earlier, and as you guys wrote in another topic, the earliest 6-color DCU dates back to the early or mid-1970s!!!

I really appreciate you inputs and information, which allow one to learn something new and interesting!
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Post by Wolverine Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:34 pm

It is no doubt original - I have lots of US Army items made by Terry, and this jacket has all of the early features - Elvis collar, and the upper interior shoulder skirt that disappeared on later contracts. As Steve pointed out, no one seems to be reproducing this type of clothing, at least not with tags that are so accurate.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:49 pm

Haydamaka wrote:It was a surprise for me to learn that 6-color desert pattern was invented and introduced not just before the "Desert Storm/Shield", but much earlier, and as you guys wrote in another topic, the earliest 6-color DCU dates back to the early or mid-1970s!!!

Yes, and it was a surprise to me as well! I knew there was limited issue of the uniform in the 1980s, but I did not realize experimentation began in the mid 1970s. I have an example from 1978.

I really appreciate you inputs and information, which allow one to learn something new and interesting!

And we appreciate having a nice jacket to look at and talk about Wink

Steve
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:18 pm

In the Natick Labs photo archive there are images of chocolate trip trials from at least 1973, if not a little earlier (according to the photo captions at least). It appears that plan tan clothing was tested at around the same time.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Wow!

Steve
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 399

Post by Camonut314 Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:24 am

I actually talked to a former member of 10th mountain that said when they were on training one day in 1979, the call cam out for them to get geared up and head out to the tarmac. They exchanged their greenside uniforms for TAN uniforms of some sort (he was not to clear on anything except that they were desert tan) and waited outside for the better part of 10 hours before they were told to stand down. They found out later that day that they were one call away from being deployed to Afghanistan...
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Here is a couple of examples from the Natick Soldier Systems Photographic Collection:

captioned 1972:
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 Desert11

captioned 1975:
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 Desert10

Somewhere I have a pair of tan trousers, cut roughly the same as OG M1951 field trousers, and dated 1976 or 1977. I will need to dig them out for photos.
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2283

Post by mylle Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:45 pm

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:31 pm

Sweet pictures! I figured the tan uniform was based on the "Transitional" uniform design (pleated pockets) since that's what the jungle green, ERDL/Woodland, and 6 Color Desert uniforms at the time were based around.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2781

Post by ripcord Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:57 pm

I have seen early DBDUs ( 6 color chocolate chip ) with the same cut as transitional ERDL.

They did indeed initially have  pocket pleats like  transitional ERDL/ OD uniforms

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 Hi_02110

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 Hi_02310

S
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Haydamaka Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:04 pm

Thank you all for sharing interesting information!
    That's amazing!

In my previous message I wrote: "... and I rejected another "chockolate chips" jacket, which seemed too much like commercial stuff - without inside liner in the upper back and very suspicious inscriptions on white ID tags".

After reading the topics on this forum I decided to return back to that local second-hand market and make sure whether that jacket fake/copy or not.

I made pictures and I'm going o present them to your judgement...

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 7cToqI6cNN0

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 SR3V65Jt_X8

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 _fuZfC53VtM

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 MEdPHxBTrwg
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:07 pm

That jacket is legit, and it probably dates from around 1990. At that point, the inside skirt was omitted.
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Haydamaka Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:20 pm

Thank you, Wolverine!

After checking out the manufacturer and NSN on the web-site: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedstatesmilitarycollection/desert-uniforms

I also think this jacket is not fake or copy.

It features 50% Cotton 50% Nylon Twill, Contract № 8055-90, manufacturer "Defense Personnel Support Center", Elvis collar + white tags, no reinforced elbows, no inside liner, no waist tag ...

But the NSN 8415-01-102-6760 corresponds rather to "Winfield Mfg. Co., Inc.".

Anyway, what do you think?
    Thank you all in advance!
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:58 pm

The NSN does not correspond to a particular contractor or manufacturer, but to an explicit item. In this case, 8415 refers to a general class or category of item (ie, clothing), 01 is the country code (USA), and 102-6760 is a stock number or part number that describes a desert camouflage jacket in this particular size. As such, the same jacket, in the same size, would have the same NSN whether it was sourced from Winfield Mfg, Terry, American Apparel, or the DPSC.

I have seen plenty of un-badged DPSC chocolate chip items in the thrift stores and fleamarkets, in new and used condition. There is nothing about this jacket that suggests to me that it is a copy.

Last edited by Wolverine on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Haydamaka Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:01 pm

Thank you very much again, Wolverine, for your comprehensive and detailed answer!!
    drmatz
    drmatz

Name : danilo matz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2103

Post by drmatz Wed May 11, 2016 2:30 pm

for those interested, here is a picture of the actual uniform in that picture, the early natick trials

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 P1040512
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 P1040513
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 P1040511
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 P1040510

http://picasaweb.google.com/danilomatz

Jenn68 likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Wed May 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Danilo,

Very nice  set of trials/ experimental DBDU..  Thanks for posting them.

These are very scarce indeed and not well known .    Just missed the chance for a lone blouse recently affraid and am not happy at myself.

Your set is cut like the 2 uniforms in the 2nd photo and the tan uniform in the first photo;  straight pockets with  center  pleat/gore  just like RDF types.
    The 6 color DBDU  uniform in the 1st photo is cut like Vietnam era OD107/ERDL  combat uniforms with rounded pockets as opposed to straight angled pockets.
    Looking at just these few pieces makes me wonder how many more variations must have existed, however briefly, prior to official issue of 6 color DBDUs.

Wonderful examples of transitional pieces that are rarely seen..

S
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Haydamaka Wed May 11, 2016 6:08 pm

Thank you, drmatz!

Very interesting and informative pics!

Cool set!
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Camonut314 Wed May 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Hmm.. I just had a lone blouse that I just sold because it was too big for me. Saved the pics, though. Unfortunately, the label was pretty faded.

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 20151110
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 20151111
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 20151112
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 20151113
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 20151114
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 20151115
    Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 20151116
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Wed May 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Nice one G.

This one has no inner camo " cape " and what looks like brown buttons..
    Most uniform  contractors used tan buttons, but not all.

Another nice variation;  this one seems to have  been  issue rather than experimental.

Too bad I did'nt know about it...

S
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Camonut314 Thu May 12, 2016 1:39 am

Thanks, I figure if I look through enough piles of the DBDU's, I can find something interesting. It was odd, so I picked it up, despite it being a size Large.
    HEB
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2018-10-27
    Number of posts : 222

Post by HEB Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 20200712

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 20200711

Desert uniforms (DCU) - DESERT 6 colors "Chocolate chip"  dated 1984 20200710

hey guys. Is this real? I could not find the DLA on the page you have mentioned above.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:02 pm

Looks legit to me.

Fake ones generally have commercial looking tags, but I've also seen faked quasi legit looking tags on these uniforms.

Considering the large volume of legit chocolate chip uniforms produced, and their relatively easy availability still today, it is amazing to me that some people still find it profitable to fake them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:41 pm