Yes, that is the type that I have!

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5569

Re: Swiss Leibermuster Patterns

Post by CollectinSteve on Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:33 am

The major variation of the Splinter pattern is the degree there are yellow blob/strokes. They appear to be completely absent sometimes, extremely faint others, and quite bright in still others. I have no clue if this was a manufacturing variance of a deliberate thing. I've always thought the yellow was added to further distance themselves from the German pattern.

Steve

vicka1971
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2010-05-02
    Number of posts : 567

Post by vicka1971 on Sun May 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi guys

I want to brag. I got this uniform last weekend at lockal fly market. The guy asked $50,but final price$20( I was very patient) Very Happy [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Mon May 17, 2010 1:14 am

Nice condition matching set. Everybody should have one of these in their collection, if only to have one of the heaviest field uniforms ever made Very Happy

I'm glad you didn't pay $50 for the set. They usually go for a lot more, though shipping costs can be as much as the uniform. And even if you did pay $50, that is a lot cheaper than the $500 people used to pay for them before the Swiss surplussed everything!

Steve

vicka1971
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2010-05-02
    Number of posts : 567

Post by vicka1971 on Mon May 17, 2010 11:14 am

Hey Steve,thanks ,I will keep that in mine cheers . Looks I got GOOD deal Laughing Laughing

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Mon May 17, 2010 1:23 pm

Ack... typo in my previous post. "They usually go for a lot more" should read "they usually DON'T go for a lot more" and then I was going to suggest a price range of $30-$40. My bad Very Happy

Steve

drmatz

Name : danilo matz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2069

Post by drmatz on Mon May 17, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi everybody.

I had an little accident with my storage and i had to dry some uniforms... not sure if was a coincidence, but they were all my swiss stuff... should have taken some better pics, cause there's at least 2 or 3 different uniforms... and as steve mentioned is easily the heaviest uniform out there...

cheers

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Tue May 18, 2010 1:31 am

Heh... Swiss camo is kinda an easy addiction to get, isn't it? Very Happy

Steve

Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2646

Post by Camo_fiend on Tue May 18, 2010 12:40 pm

That's a sign from the camo gods that you need to share your leibermuster wealth with the rest of us. lol!
    Unfortunate that you had that little mishap...glad to see you caught it in time before mildew or mold could set in.

I never knew that the one variant was such a heavy uniform...guess I need to get one for myself to find out. Cool

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/

drmatz

Name : danilo matz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2069

Post by drmatz on Fri May 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Sorry forgot to follow up.

Well i was recently diagnosed with a very high camouflage addition problem!! hahahah

Hi my name is danilo and i'm a cammoholic...

just kidding...

Hi ben i am sure i can hook you up with a swiss uniform.. what size you need?

Let me know and we can work something up

cheers

Flecktarn92
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Name : Oliver
    Registration date : 2009-07-15
    Number of posts : 500

Post by Flecktarn92 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:20 pm

don't mean to bring this thread back from the grave but what equipment was issued along with the Leibermuster uniforms? I just found out I bought a Swiss bayonet, and that started to make me think what kind of belt they use, if there are any mag pouches, shovels etc. Anyone know?

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:18 am

They used a brown leather belt. Everything else went into the various jacket pockets. If you look at the jacket you will see belt loops. IIRC the earlier models of the jacket had a special holder for the bayonet. The one you have is a later model. The earlier ones had a leather frog instead of the vinyl one on yours. I have no idea how to date them.

Steve

Martin
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Martin
    Registration date : 2009-06-25
    Number of posts : 784

Post by Martin on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:13 am

CollectinSteve wrote:Hi all,

Over in this thread we got to talking about different Leibermuster camo copies.  I have taken a fairly quick look at my Swiss and Bundeswehr 1954 sets and concluded the following preliminary things:

1.  The Swiss used at least four different patterns for their uniforms (and I'm pretty sure even more if you include other garments).  

Type A Made from thin canvas and is very similar to BW and WW2 WH pattern.  Consists of 6 colors; tan background, red, green, very light green, white, and black.  A dark red results from overlaps of red and green, but it's clearly not a separate screen.  Typified by small clusters of fairly small white/green dots around the edges of the green and red colors.  The "drips" appear to be thinner and less regular than all patterns which follow.  Made in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Type B Heavy twill cotton uniform in the same cut as Type A with only minor differences.  Consists of same 6 colors; tan or brown background, red, green, very light green, white.  White/green dots are more simple shaped and a little larger, but still mostly clustered around the edges of the green and red colors.  Colors are laid out a little more "blobby" vs. the thin tiger stripe effect of all three earlier patterns.  Probably used in the 1960s, definitely in the 1970s and at least 1980.

Type C  Same as Type B cloth and uniform cut.  Consists of 7 colors, 6 as before but with the addition of a light red.  Unlike the overlapping red/green of Types A and B, the predominate red is lighter with a darker red blobbed over it in places.  There is no major overlapping with the green color, except at the edges where you can clearly see there are three distinct colors being laid down.  The white/green dots are not clustered, they are larger, and are out in the middle of the background color as opposed to be clustered around the edges of the greens and reds.  Colors are also laid out more "blobby".  Definitely used in the late 1970s and early late 1980s (alongside TAZ 82).  Not sure about other dates.

Type D Light cotton/polly mix (TAZ82) which overlapped with the earlier, heavier sets until TAZ90 was introduced.  Same colors as Types A and B with the reds and greens overlapping and no second red color.  Much "busier" pattern with less of the background color showing through.  The dots are even larger and less numerous than the other patterns.

2.  I've noted at least two variants of Type C where the red and green screens were reversed. This is consistent on a few pieces, but I'd have to look more closely to see if it has any correspondence to dates.

3.  The Leibermuster pattern was designed to have the black shapes appear almost randomly so as to reduce repetition.  This was achieved by using a smaller diameter roller for the black so it practically never overlaps in the same way.  This is not true for Type C.  Every matching underlying colored spots I checked had the black in the same exact places.  Types A, B, and D are like BW and WH Leibermuster in terms of using the different sized black rollers.

4.  Another thing the independence of the black roller allows for is flipping the screen left/right and/or top/bottom.  This allows for even more variations in the overall pattern, which increases the camouflage effect overall.  I haven't spent enough time to see if they did this with uniform Types A, B, or D, but I know for sure they did it on their shelter/ponchos.  Which makes sense since those are supposed to be buttoned together, therefore the more variety the better.

5.  There are a lot of color variations amongst the uniforms.  The background color seems to be the big one they changed.  I don't know if any of these changes correspond with dates, however it is my observation that the lighter based uniforms are earlier and the darker ones are later.  Certainly the examples of Type A I've seen are very consistent and have a light tan background and all of the TAZ82 stuff I've seen is quite dark.  It also appears that the dark red color fluctuated more than the others.  One example the overlap red/green color is almost brown instead of a dark red.

Far more research has to be done than I have time for at the moment.  Fortunately, I have about 40-50 pieces of Swiss gear in Leibermuster that I can check over when I do have the time Very Happy

As a footnote, my brain has always told me that the various Swiss pieces I've handled didn't look the same.  I chalked it up to color variations and the fact that with so many pockets, seams, etc. there isn't a lot of opportunity to see large sections to see subtle differences.  But after looking at them tonight I've concluded that my subconscious brain is more observant in this case!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Have you done anymore work on this? I'm trying to classify some Swiss Alpenflage items I have...
    1979/80 TAZ 57 trousers: http://camouniforms.net/index.php/western-europe/switzerland/alpenflage/1061-1979-1980-taz-57-model-2-alpenflage-trousers

1992/93 TAZ 83 shirt: http://camouniforms.net/index.php/western-europe/switzerland/alpenflage/1062-2015-01-16-02-21-03

1988/89 TAZ 83 cap: http://camouniforms.net/index.php/western-europe/switzerland/alpenflage/1063-2015-01-16-02-39-31

I also found these interesting posts:
    http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/topic/2702/t/Combat-Dress-70-or-Alpenflage-Vierfruchtpyama-Liebermuster.html

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/reply/14088/Shelter-Halves

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/reply/76320/Re-Alpenflage-Raincoat#reply-76320

Is there any other information on WH Awards forums? I haven't checked there yet...

BTW is it TAZ/TASS 83 or TAZ/TASS 82?

Regards,
    Martin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:35 pm

Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:35 pm