IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Questions about Belgian Battledress uniform and insignia

michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 795

Questions about Belgian Battledress uniform and insignia Empty Questions about Belgian Battledress uniform and insignia

Post by michelwijnand Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:29 pm

In light of a loadout I'm slowly making, I have some questions about the BD uniform and the associated insignia.

I'm making a loadout of an infantry soldier sometime in the 50's, and am thinking of making it very late 50's because of a
    type A FN FAL bayonet I can put on the webbing.
    But I'm trying to find out more about the collartabs, as there are 2 types, he diamond shaped early ones, and the 5-cornered ones with pointed top.

As far as I know, the diamond was for lower ranks at first (worn on regular pointed collar BD's), and the 5-cornered ones were for officers (worn with
    the officer cut BD with square collar points).

But at some point there was the updated model BD with square cornered collar, buttoned waiststrap and different fabric, meant for all ranks, and used
    with just the 5-cornered collartabs.

Now my question is, at what year did they actually stop wearing the diamond shaped tabs with old BD's, and start wearing the new BD's with 5-corner tabs?

A source I read on a Belgian forum mentioned 1962, but another Belgian collector said late 50's already...

Early low rank type.
    Questions about Belgian Battledress uniform and insignia Abl_bd10

Early officer type.
    Questions about Belgian Battledress uniform and insignia 54398010

Late standard type. This picture is from another thread here on the forum, by member belgium_one (credit where credit is due)
    Questions about Belgian Battledress uniform and insignia Battle10
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Questions about Belgian Battledress uniform and insignia Empty Re: Questions about Belgian Battledress uniform and insignia

Post by michelwijnand Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:36 pm

I have the top set on it's way to me, and judging by what year it's correct, I can adjust what bayonet to use wit hit accordingly. I just want it to be correct.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Questions about Belgian Battledress uniform and insignia Empty Re: Questions about Belgian Battledress uniform and insignia

Post by Wolverine Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:59 pm

I don't know the answer, but I think the change likely was pretty early, as I have never seen the early style tabs on a 1960s-dated blouse. If no one knows the answer here, you might try the Dutch-speaking ABL history forum.
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by michelwijnand Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Yeah that's where I saw some pretty solid looking info about the year 1962, but then the seller of the uniform I'm buying said it was earlier, so I figured I might as well ask here too

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:40 pm