IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

P37 pouches from khaki to olive drab

Glencoe
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2017-10-22
    Number of posts : 48

P37 pouches from khaki to olive drab Empty P37 pouches from khaki to olive drab

Post by Glencoe Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi,

I somewhat recently bought two old p37 pouches. Sadly I didn't take any before pictures, but I will describe them as best as I can. They were the standard MII/MIII basic pouches in khaki. Over the khaki was a lot of green blanco which I assume was dutch. I couldn't really get the pouches clean so I decided to restore them. As a replacement of the somewhat rare blanco I used olive green shoe cream. It was worked in with a paintbrush with short bristles. I got most of my info from Blancoandbull.com

P37 pouches from khaki to olive drab Cimg2818
    I like how the colour has turned out, somehow there is a bit of a difference between the two pouches, but it doesn't really show.

P37 pouches from khaki to olive drab Cimg2819
    In comparison with an original blancoed strap the colour matches well enough, a bit more green but assembled this wouldn't make a lot of difference.

P37 pouches from khaki to olive drab Cimg2820
    Here a picture with the original khaki still inside the pouch.

I think it makes a good addition for my post war webbing set. What do you guys think?
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

P37 pouches from khaki to olive drab Empty Re: P37 pouches from khaki to olive drab

Post by Wolverine Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:57 pm

They look pretty sharp. With some weathering, the colours would probably resemble the original pieces even more closely.
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 795

P37 pouches from khaki to olive drab Empty Re: P37 pouches from khaki to olive drab

Post by michelwijnand Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:23 am

I've been wondering, people have been calling those green cans green shoe cream, but are they really not just actual Blanco? I mean have they ever pasted their boots green?
    Glencoe
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Glencoe Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:47 am

Those green cans are actual dutch Blanco. It has some similarities with shoe cream, I believe it was based on the use of black shoe cream to protect web gear with the tank units of the british army.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 am

Yes, I agree, the green tins are certainly blanco. The tins are the same shape/size as the brown shoe polish tins, but painted a different colour. Earlier types of blanco, I think, came in paper wrappers.
    Glencoe
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Glencoe Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:53 am

The dutch army started using the old powdered Blanco. I think this was packaged in paper. Later they changed to the shoe-polish style in tin cans. That is what I've tried to replicate. I'm still trying to get the 'shine' out; I'm now trying to add in something gritty to my repro-blanco. At this moment I've added flour, and I think this is working quite well.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 am

It is possible that the original blanco also had some shine when it was freshly applied, and then through time it became flatter.

The Canadian Army used a very similar shade of blanco during the 1950s and 1960s on WE 51 items. I have managed to build a couple of complete sets that match pretty well. The stuff is really heavily applied.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:08 pm