ERDL

ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 1899

ERDL

Post by ripcord on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Picked up these 2 different and interesting  ERDL blouses awhile back .

One is an early RDF  dated 1978 in a rare size XL and in green dominant fabric in unused condition.   Most RDF types are brown dominant although I've seen blouses and trousers made of a mix of both fabric types.

The other one is dated 1970 and made of  brown dominant fabric in near new conditions.    I have included a photo of well worn 1970 dated brown dominant trousers as contrast.
    Looks like black color has turned purple ish  and the other colors show some  fading..

While brown dominant jungle uniforms are not uncommon, they seem to be harder to find than  green dominant types.  

They also seem to have been issued to US Marines in greater numbers, thus a large part of available brown pattern blouses have an EGA decal on left  top pocket .
    Usually names were stenciled on trousers ( either above right rear pocket , or on right cargo pocket flap ) and sometimes the back of  blouse as well..

S
    ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Re: ERDL

Post by ripcord on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Here is an example of mixed patterns .  

A scarce green dominant RDF type trousers with brown dominant cargo pockets and rear pocket covers.

Also of notice is a small area near hand pocket where the color black has turned to a weird grayish.  I've seen entire garments that have the same type of fading where black color fades into silvery, or grayish color.

S
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6128

Post by CollectinSteve on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:49 am

Nice crisp examples!

I've got an RDF jacket in the "purple" faded type.  Like yours, Brown Dominant 1978 contract.  I also have this 1978 RDF trousers where the black faded out to a very light gray.

Steve

ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ripcord on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Steve..

Thanks for your comments and photo of weirdly faded RDF trousers. Very cool, BTW.

I invite all members to post any strange/ different ERDL types in their collections regardless of whether they may be Vietnam era slant pocket, or RDF types .

Have noticed that my latest brown dominant Vietnam era slant pocket blouse has green dominant fabric on right cuff.

S

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6128

Post by CollectinSteve on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:26 pm

I've long taken a strange interest in the uncharacteristically sloppy mixing of the two patterns by US contractors as well as the examples of poor quality control on the colors.

I've categorized the cloth into three different types:

Vietnam Green Dominant
    Vietnam Brown Dominant
    Transitional Brown Dominant

The latter lacks the fuzzy edges that the Vietnam types and clearly has the same colors later used wit the M82 BDU.

Here's a really crazy one that I saw on eBay (IIRC) and three samples side by side from my collection:

Steve
    ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ripcord on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:12 pm

These are my 3 sub types of RDF ERDL  .

The middle one is the most common .  The green dominant is new while the others look like they could have been worn once or twice . No signs of insignia or tapes sown onto them.

I find the tags/ labels on various  RDF garments interesting as there were 2  main different types with variations, of course.
    My oldest RDF blouse dates  from 1977. My newest is probably from '81.

S
    ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ripcord on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Here is an interesting photo of a mix of RDF and Vietnam era type ERDL uniforms worn during Operation Urgent Fury.

S
    Camonut314
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 267

Post by Camonut314 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:00 pm

Love the pocket on the guy on the left. Super obvious green dom. Gotta say, that's a nice collection of supersize ERDLs. One on the right looks strange to me for some reason. I know there were at least three types, but I could have sworn that I had one brown dom different than the right two.
    ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ripcord on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Hey G..

That photo confirms Vietnam era ERDL and RDF  patterns were used by certain units even while M81 was general issue and sometimes right up to the cut off date of around 1986 for all other working uniforms..

(OG107 jungle uniforms were also  favored by Ranger units; some units of the 101st.Abn. Division retained the OG 107 until the cutoff date.)

I wore 3 different types of working uniforms during my service in the NY National Guard in the '80s.      Have seen as many as 5 and even 6  different uniforms worn simultaneously during those years.

I think almost everyone of my RDF blouses differ slightly in some way.    Most of the differences are due to fading, but we do know of at least  3 legit sub patterns.

Have added an unused brown dominant blouse to the 3 we have already seen and compared it to the one that was among the original 3.

The green colors are the obvious main difference besides some light fading on the washed blouse.   Is the difference in green colors due to minimal washing, or is it a slightly different hue to begin with ?

The unused brown dominant blouse is interesting for it's use of 2 tags as opposed to one  large tag in the neck area as per most RDF blouses.
    It has a  small size tag  at the neck,and  the larger tag on reverse side of right bottom pocket, as  used in Vietnam era ERDL .  
    The contract number dates to 1977 ; the contractor was a government entity ( interesting history; look up Defense Personnel Support Center ).

S
    Camonut314
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Camonut314 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:02 am

The fading is what always confused me. Sometimes it seems that even if a pattern is faded in one place, the other could still be the same pattern, but could also just as equally be a different production run. Personally I love this era of uniforms. Yes, even the OG-107's with the RDF cut (maybe especially). Such a strange and haphazard time for US uniforms. I actually even had a RDF ERDL uniform in a RAID cut before (since have sold it). Nothing solid about its origins, but I can certainly imagine SF using the older pattern way into 1990's-2000's.
    Martin
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Martin
    Registration date : 2009-06-25
    Number of posts : 819

Post by Martin on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:02 am

ripcord wrote:

What's the pattern on the far right one?

I have some of these mixed pattern items (ie different pattern pockets etc..) will have to dig them out one day...

There were also solid green RDF uniforms right? Pretty sure I've seen some photos of them.
    Camonut314
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Camonut314 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:33 am

That's what Rip and I were referencing.

Here:

And sorry S, brain scattered, hello! Long time no see Wink
    1stDivVet
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2325

Post by 1stDivVet on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:24 pm

I've got an RDF cut poplin OD jungle jacket somewhere. Was told they were a popular CIA training uniform.

Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ripcord on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Here is an OD RDF cut blouse.   Pants are nearly impossible to find but blouses pop up on occasion..

I've seen ( and at some point  had ) bogus copies of these uniforms. Some had slightly slanted RDF type pockets, others did not.

S
    ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ripcord on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:22 pm

Martin..

Pattern on far right is an RDF ERDL with a 1979 contract date.  Label is well worn; nearly impossible to read the contract date but it is 1979.

This type of sub pattern was only produced in 1979 as far as I know.
    I have trousers with same characteristics and same contract date and contractor, but colors  look slightly differ from the blouse.  
    Previously thought the blouse was in newer conditions, but it does have obvious signs of use and at some point did have tapes sown above chest pockets..

Label on trousers,on the other hand, looks very clean with consecutive contract numbers to the blouse.

When placed next to one another and looked at closely, the blouse and trousers look very similar, but when seen from a greater distance, the difference is  obvious.
    While not another sub pattern, it's interesting to see garments from the same factory with similar contract numbers having such differences in colors.

S

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:50 pm