IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Martin
Camonut314
CollectinSteve
ripcord
8 posters

ERDL

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2781

ERDL Empty ERDL

Post by ripcord Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Picked up these 2 different and interesting  ERDL blouses awhile back .

One is an early RDF  dated 1978 in a rare size XL and in green dominant fabric in unused condition.   Most RDF types are brown dominant although I've seen blouses and trousers made of a mix of both fabric types.

The other one is dated 1970 and made of  brown dominant fabric in near new conditions.    I have included a photo of well worn 1970 dated brown dominant trousers as contrast.
    Looks like black color has turned purple ish  and the other colors show some  fading..

While brown dominant jungle uniforms are not uncommon, they seem to be harder to find than  green dominant types.  

They also seem to have been issued to US Marines in greater numbers, thus a large part of available brown pattern blouses have an EGA decal on left  top pocket .
    Usually names were stenciled on trousers ( either above right rear pocket , or on right cargo pocket flap ) and sometimes the back of  blouse as well..

ERDL Dscn7116

ERDL Dscn7117

ERDL Dscn7118

ERDL Dscn7119

ERDL Dscn7120

ERDL Dscn7121

ERDL Dscn7122

S
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

ERDL Empty Re: ERDL

Post by ripcord Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Here is an example of mixed patterns .  

A scarce green dominant RDF type trousers with brown dominant cargo pockets and rear pocket covers.

ERDL Dscn7123

ERDL Dscn7124

ERDL Dscn7125

ERDL Dscn7126

Also of notice is a small area near hand pocket where the color black has turned to a weird grayish.  I've seen entire garments that have the same type of fading where black color fades into silvery, or grayish color.

ERDL Dscn7127

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:49 am

Nice crisp examples!

I've got an RDF jacket in the "purple" faded type.  Like yours, Brown Dominant 1978 contract.  I also have this 1978 RDF trousers where the black faded out to a very light gray.

Steve

ERDL Dsc00315
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Steve..

Thanks for your comments and photo of weirdly faded RDF trousers. Very cool, BTW.

I invite all members to post any strange/ different ERDL types in their collections regardless of whether they may be Vietnam era slant pocket, or RDF types .

Have noticed that my latest brown dominant Vietnam era slant pocket blouse has green dominant fabric on right cuff.

ERDL Dscn7129

S

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:26 pm

I've long taken a strange interest in the uncharacteristically sloppy mixing of the two patterns by US contractors as well as the examples of poor quality control on the colors.

I've categorized the cloth into three different types:

Vietnam Green Dominant
    Vietnam Brown Dominant
    Transitional Brown Dominant

The latter lacks the fuzzy edges that the Vietnam types and clearly has the same colors later used wit the M82 BDU.

Here's a really crazy one that I saw on eBay (IIRC) and three samples side by side from my collection:

ERDL Erdl210
    ERDL Img_5210

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:12 pm

These are my 3 sub types of RDF ERDL  .

The middle one is the most common .  The green dominant is new while the others look like they could have been worn once or twice . No signs of insignia or tapes sown onto them.

I find the tags/ labels on various  RDF garments interesting as there were 2  main different types with variations, of course.
    My oldest RDF blouse dates  from 1977. My newest is probably from '81.

ERDL Dscn7130

ERDL Dscn7131

S
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Here is an interesting photo of a mix of RDF and Vietnam era type ERDL uniforms worn during Operation Urgent Fury.

ERDL Pasted11

S
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 399

Post by Camonut314 Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:00 pm

Love the pocket on the guy on the left. Super obvious green dom. Gotta say, that's a nice collection of supersize ERDLs. One on the right looks strange to me for some reason. I know there were at least three types, but I could have sworn that I had one brown dom different than the right two.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Hey G..

That photo confirms Vietnam era ERDL and RDF  patterns were used by certain units even while M81 was general issue and sometimes right up to the cut off date of around 1986 for all other working uniforms..

(OG107 jungle uniforms were also  favored by Ranger units; some units of the 101st.Abn. Division retained the OG 107 until the cutoff date.)

I wore 3 different types of working uniforms during my service in the NY National Guard in the '80s.      Have seen as many as 5 and even 6  different uniforms worn simultaneously during those years.

I think almost everyone of my RDF blouses differ slightly in some way.    Most of the differences are due to fading, but we do know of at least  3 legit sub patterns.

Have added an unused brown dominant blouse to the 3 we have already seen and compared it to the one that was among the original 3.

The green colors are the obvious main difference besides some light fading on the washed blouse.   Is the difference in green colors due to minimal washing, or is it a slightly different hue to begin with ?

ERDL Dscn7133

ERDL Dscn7134

The unused brown dominant blouse is interesting for it's use of 2 tags as opposed to one  large tag in the neck area as per most RDF blouses.
    It has a  small size tag  at the neck,and  the larger tag on reverse side of right bottom pocket, as  used in Vietnam era ERDL .  
    The contract number dates to 1977 ; the contractor was a government entity ( interesting history; look up Defense Personnel Support Center ).

ERDL Dscn7135

ERDL Dscn7137

ERDL Dscn7136

S
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Camonut314 Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:02 am

The fading is what always confused me. Sometimes it seems that even if a pattern is faded in one place, the other could still be the same pattern, but could also just as equally be a different production run. Personally I love this era of uniforms. Yes, even the OG-107's with the RDF cut (maybe especially). Such a strange and haphazard time for US uniforms. I actually even had a RDF ERDL uniform in a RAID cut before (since have sold it). Nothing solid about its origins, but I can certainly imagine SF using the older pattern way into 1990's-2000's.
    Martin
    Martin
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Martin
    Registration date : 2009-06-25
    Number of posts : 929

Post by Martin Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:02 am

ripcord wrote:
                                                                                      ERDL Dscn7133

What's the pattern on the far right one?

I have some of these mixed pattern items (ie different pattern pockets etc..) will have to dig them out one day...

There were also solid green RDF uniforms right? Pretty sure I've seen some photos of them.
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Camonut314 Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:33 am

That's what Rip and I were referencing.

Here:
    ERDL Ranger10

And sorry S, brain scattered, hello! Long time no see Wink

ripcord likes this post

1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Post by 1stDivVet Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:24 pm

I've got an RDF cut poplin OD jungle jacket somewhere. Was told they were a popular CIA training uniform.

Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Here is an OD RDF cut blouse.   Pants are nearly impossible to find but blouses pop up on occasion..

I've seen ( and at some point  had ) bogus copies of these uniforms. Some had slightly slanted RDF type pockets, others did not.

ERDL Dscn7138

ERDL Dscn7139

S
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:22 pm

Martin..

Pattern on far right is an RDF ERDL with a 1979 contract date.  Label is well worn; nearly impossible to read the contract date but it is 1979.

This type of sub pattern was only produced in 1979 as far as I know.
    I have trousers with same characteristics and same contract date and contractor, but colors  look slightly differ from the blouse.  
    Previously thought the blouse was in newer conditions, but it does have obvious signs of use and at some point did have tapes sown above chest pockets..

Label on trousers,on the other hand, looks very clean with consecutive contract numbers to the blouse.

ERDL Dscn7140

ERDL Dscn7141

ERDL Dscn7146

ERDL Dscn7142

When placed next to one another and looked at closely, the blouse and trousers look very similar, but when seen from a greater distance, the difference is  obvious.
    While not another sub pattern, it's interesting to see garments from the same factory with similar contract numbers having such differences in colors.

ERDL Dscn7143

ERDL Dscn7145

S
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Here is a bit of an oddity.

Brown dominant 1970 issue with USMC EGA ( Eagle, Globe, Anchor.) and very faded  US Navy tape.
    Nametapes were not usually worn on USMC/USN combat uniforms in those days ; name and service number is stenciled on inside lower back.

ERDL Dscn7218

ERDL Dscn7220

ERDL Dscn7221

ERDL Dscn7222

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sat May 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Nice stuff! I'm unfamiliar with that 1979 sub variant. Interesting. I wonder how much of the cloth color variation was intentional and how much was accidental. Certainly the large runs of Vietnam era cloth were fairly consistent from batch to batch. So it raises some questions as to why such a short years later had so much variation in it.

Yeah, the RDF OD jacket is hard enough to find, but the trousers are nowhere to be found. There are commercial versions out there, for sure. I have a used set that I'm keeping with my jacket since I don't think I'll ever find trousers.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:01 pm

An interesting early (1977 ) RDF brown dominant ..
    This one is very clean.

ERDL Dscn7446

ERDL Dscn7447

S
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 322

Post by TennoHeikaNate Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:16 pm

Now that is some documentation! I noticed over the years the great variation in ERDL, particularly in the RDF uniforms but just figured it was experimentation with dyeing and coloration.
    This is my latest RDF piece, dated 1978. It seems to be one of those that suffers from poor black dye that is turning grayish/purplish, depending on the light.

ERDL Us_rdf10
    McTAZ
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2013-03-14
    Number of posts : 28

Post by McTAZ Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:29 am

one shirt from 1977-1979 estimate contract (with washed out spots)
    ERDL Rdf_1910 ERDL Rdf_1911

trouser from 1980 contract (with clear spots)
    ERDL Rdf_1914 ERDL Rdf_1915

comparison
    ERDL Rdf12
    fallout
    fallout
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Luke
    Registration date : 2015-01-13
    Number of posts : 39

Post by fallout Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:14 am

I assume you would be the guys to ask as you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the topic, I had a few questions on the ERDL RDF and OD RDF uniforms.

First off, I have seen the following 2 markings in the uniforms:

Coat, Hot Weather, Camouflage Pattern - 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981
    Trousers, Hot Weather, Camouflage Pattern - 1978, 1979

Coat, Hot Weather, Camouflage Pattern Class 2 - 1979
    Trousers, Camouflage, Poplin, Class 2 - 1980

I don't really know what the difference is between the normal and class 2 as they seems to be the same? I only own a class 2 coat though so I have only be able to compare via photos online.

The RDF(which I assume is a collector term and not official) was made in both green and brown dominant(as seen here) but the brown seems to be the most common by 1980 or so, correct?

Lastly, I know the ERDL RDF was used by Marines, paras, and some of SF units and RDF units, but who used the OD version? I don't really see it in photos much.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:59 pm

Class 1 refers to OG 107 jungle uniforms and Class 2 refers to ERDL type camouflage jungle uniforms.  

Most ERDL type camouflage garments have Class 2 written in their  labels but some do not. Mostly the early non ripstop , but have seen ripstop as well.  There is no difference between them.

Brown dominant RDF type is alot more common than Green dominant RDF type of all contract dates I am aware of..

As we have seen there is also a type with a contract date of 1979 with colors close to the later M81 BDU.

Not quite certain why OG107 RDF types even existed.  A  large stock of Vietnam era  OG107  uniforms remained after that conflict ended and they were available to whatever unit  needed tropical uniforms.

They served along side  the OG107 RDF types until the mid '80s, although the RFD types were never issued in large numbers.

I believe the Olive RDF uniforms were only issued to army units .

S
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:23 pm

McTAZ wrote:one shirt from 1977-1979 estimate contract (with washed out spots)
    ERDL Rdf_1910 ERDL Rdf_1911

trouser from 1980 contract (with clear spots)
    ERDL Rdf_1914 ERDL Rdf_1915

comparison
    ERDL Rdf12

Sorry for ( very) late reply.

Blouse is made of leftover Vietnam war era brown dominant fabric, thus it has fuzzy edges, while trousers ( dated 1980 ) are made of post war RDF brown dominant fabric with clear edges.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:42 pm

Here is an 1980 contract brown dominant with clear edges.

This one was issued, washed and likely never used; lots of clearly visible excess thread, especially near all pockets.

Getting hard to find in these conditions.

ERDL Dscn9838

ERDL Dscn9839

ERDL Dscn9840

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:07 pm