IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Estonian Defense League uniforms

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Estonian Defense League uniforms Empty Estonian Defense League uniforms

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:23 am

Post 'em if you got 'em Smile Here are mine.

First up is first production digital, 2005/2006.

Estonian Defense League uniforms Dsc00917

These uniforms were initially intended for military use but quickly wound up in Defense League hands as the modernized uniform was introduced. Either the military was unhappy about the uniform or it was intended as an interim uniform to test the camo pattern while the modernized cut was being developed. The former is backed up by info provided by an Estonian member of this Forum, the latter is just a theory I came up with to consider. Whatever the case is, the uniforms very quickly became "hand-me-downs" to the DL.

Interesting things to note on this uniform are the old badging from TTsKO uniforms. Period photos show the two piece TTsKO right arm badges to be pretty commonly used. The metal rank on TTsKO backing is also correct for the period as they did, and still do I think, wear metal rank when they want to. This rank itself is specific to DL. The parade armband on the left sleeve is also correct and easily found in pictures from the 2006 timeframe. The DL pin backed badge on the left pocket is something that would be worn on duty or parade.

Up next is the very short lived 1998 produced highly synthetic material TTsKO uniform with button on right arm badge flap.

Estonian Defense League uniforms Dsc00916

Like other official military uniforms, these quickly found their way into service of the DL. This one has an older style DL badge which was still in use (along with other variants) at the time. The uniform came to me with the outline of this badge and a hole in the left chest pocket for a screw back style DL pin, which I also put in place. Even though there is a center chest epaulette for rank, DL members tended to stick with shoulder rank with metal pieces. I have a picture of one guy with metal rank on his shoulders and a cloth rank on his chest. Regulations are merely suggestions for Estonians Wink

Note there is no national badge on the right arm. At the time there was a lot of flux with the national badging. Different types, worn on different arms, or not worn at all. The national badging started to standardize in the early 2000s and more-or-less became standard with the digital camo uniforms. Though if you look closely, there's variation there too!

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2781

Estonian Defense League uniforms Empty Re: Estonian Defense League uniforms

Post by ripcord Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:37 am

I'll add to this when I can but for now here is a photo of at least one Defense League member.

Defense League NCO on the left is wearing a 2nd type normal issue but the other guy wears a very interesting uniform.  It's cut like a 3rd type digital but the pattern is either an old border guard pattern, or something experimental.

Estonian Defense League uniforms 14405810

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:04 am

Yeah, there is a post about that somewhere on this forum. Not really clear why it was produced at all. Very rare, whatever it is. Bummer, because I want one Smile

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:05 pm

In chronological order.

Tartu Malev

Tallinn

Saaremaa

Parnumaa

Estonian Defense League uniforms Dscn7710

Estonian Defense League uniforms Dscn7711

Estonian Defense League uniforms Dscn7712

Estonian Defense League uniforms Dscn7713

S
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Estonian Defense League uniforms Dac4bk10

Estonian Defense League uniforms Usmc-110

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:58 am

Nice examples!

The Swedish style uniform with the chest epaulet is the most interesting one to me. I checked and the only picture I have of this type is the one you have. Do you see signs that the epaulets on the shoulders were removed and one added to the chest?

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Definitely interesting variants of the early Estonian pattern.

They look like they were not easy uniforms to manufacture and were probably not used for a very long period.
    These are both made by as mikrel .

Estonian Defense League uniforms Dscn7715

Estonian Defense League uniforms Dscn7716

S
    GE10
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2015-09-19
    Number of posts : 25

Post by GE10 Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi.
    That new cut and old camo uniform made for reserve units(about 2011??)
    And that material is from old stock https://pildid.mil.ee/picture.php?/320050/category/55307 (same for taht camo matress).
    Sten.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:51 pm

Hello Sten!

Welcome to the Forum. That is a fun group of pictures. Thank you for sharing the link.

A camouflage mattress? Finally, an Estonian camouflage item I don't need that for my collection. Well, maybe Wink

What else was this cloth used for? I do not recognize it from older production uniforms. It looks thinner and less colorful than the standard issue uniforms.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:19 am