IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

German (?) helmet symbol identification

Giovanni

Registration date : 2020-09-06
    Number of posts : 8

German (?) helmet symbol identification  Empty German (?) helmet symbol identification

Post by Giovanni Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:05 pm

A friend of mine sent me this photo for an identification of the helmet symbol; to me is completely new and never seen before.
    There is no data to have a time reference; someone does know something? German (?) helmet symbol identification  Bb538110[url=https://servimg.com/view/20260429/3]
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2783

German (?) helmet symbol identification  Empty Re: German (?) helmet symbol identification

Post by ripcord Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:48 pm

Have seen this photo on a number of occasions, but a search of the internet to find the image was fruitless for me.

IIRC, I saw it in a book about WW I.  I believe it depicts WWI era German Stormtroopers .

Photo of a supposed genuine WW I German M16 Sturmtruppen helmet .

German (?) helmet symbol identification  H2843-10
    Giovanni

German (?) helmet symbol identification  Empty Re: German (?) helmet symbol identification

Post by Giovanni Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:59 pm

Thanks for your opinion!

Personally, looking at the “artwork” seemed a bit similar to the WWI style, and this is also my first impression.

But the look of the uniform and the helmet itself suggest (to me) a more recent timeframe.

Maybe late Reichswehr?
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:31 pm

Yes, my first instinct was to attribute it to WWI German Stormtroopers.

But the absence of lugs on helmet does suggest a later time. Those are Finnish soldiers during 1941-1944 " war of continuation "

Images on helmets seem to have been stenciled , not hand painted.     What screwed me up for a moment was the unfamiliar ( to me ) lightweight uniform and the snowy backround.

German (?) helmet symbol identification  Ymmflo10
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Post by Wolverine Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:29 pm

They are Finns for sure. Only the guy on the right seems to be wearing a First World War period helmet, but we know that the Finns ended up with lots of those. This photograph has been widely reproduced in coffee table photo books on WW II. I can probably dig out a credit for it.
    Giovanni

Post by Giovanni Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:27 am

Ah! Finnish! Thanks a lot! Smile
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:53 pm

The puukko knife worn by middle soldier also is a good clue.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:39 pm

I looked up the photo - it is captioned as the Leningrad front in 1941 in Ross Burns (ed.), The World War II Album, Bison Books, 1991.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:39 pm

I looked up the photo - it is captioned as the Leningrad front in 1941 in Ross Burns (ed.), The World War II Album, Bison Books, 1991.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 pm

Good detective work Andrew.

Bought a lot of interesting paper bound Bison Books in the 80s. Mostly from Dover Army Navy whenever I drove through Dover Delaware on the way to Va. Beach. They had a huge pre owned book section and I always found something good there. They are still there ..
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:11 am

Yeah, in the days before the internet, those books were some of the best sources for photographs.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:51 pm

German (?) helmet symbol identification  S-l16038
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:35 pm

German (?) helmet symbol identification  2d62ca10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:10 am