IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Wolverine
ripcord
6 posters

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2782

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 Empty Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56

Post by ripcord Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:37 pm

Unused Green Infantry variant.

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 Dscn9423

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 Dscn9424

TennoHeikaNate and Collectorpete like this post

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 Empty Re: Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56

Post by Wolverine Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:11 pm

That one is a real beauty.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:45 pm

Thank you Andrew.

Looks like this one was stored until recently.

Have not seen these pieces come up for sale in years but last week 4 different jackets in various conditions were available.  

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 11963310
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2289

Post by mylle Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:29 pm

Great piece, really fresh. Interestingly that the raindrops on the flaps are horizontally on the lower pockets.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:17 pm

Thanks Alex,

The horizontally orientated camo pattern on lower pocket flaps is perfectly normal .

Also normal for some trousers to have horizontally oriented cargo pocket flaps and leg cuff panels  .
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2289

Post by mylle Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:58 pm

I have to check my splinter trousers, I think the flaps on them are also horizontally.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:00 pm

Some are , some are not.

Looks fairly random..

Photos of these uniforms in use are quite scarce ; photo of Para helmet cover and para smock .

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 Fac7df10                                 Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 50sfj11                                                                                                                 

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 C2672b10

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 21454910

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 7db61510                                                                                                                               Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 Phpkrt10
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Finding some decent shots of this pattern in use.

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 1200px10

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 Bundes10

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 West_g10

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 Main-q10

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 11983510

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 11985110

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 11978310
    dynamo.alex
    Captain
    Captain

Registration date : 2012-11-20
    Number of posts : 945

Post by dynamo.alex Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:50 pm

very nice and fresh looking jacket and thanks for the interesting pics Sal.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:55 pm

Thank you Alex,

Have seen very few photos of these uniforms in use; I posted almost all of the the ones I found.

dynamo.alex
    Captain
    Captain

Registration date : 2012-11-20
    Number of posts : 945

Post by dynamo.alex Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 am

It is very rare that one can find pics of good quality, if any, of these in use, that is true.
    Thanks again for sharing Sal.

ripcord likes this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6916

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:18 pm

I know I'm very late to this thread, but for sure Rip has one of the best out there. I've had a couple dozen of these over the years and documented maybe 100+ (I keep track of the labels) and for sure the condition is usually horrendous. They were reissued for about 7 years after production stopped. Obviously that brutalized them.

I made a post about the different cuts and variants a while back. It's a surprisingly complex topic:

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t8937-documentation-of-splittertarn-uniform-variants

Steve

ripcord likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:14 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:I know I'm very late to this thread, but for sure Rip has one of the best out there.  I've had a couple dozen of these over the years and documented maybe 100+ (I keep track of the labels) and for sure the condition is usually horrendous.  They were reissued for about 7 years after production stopped.  Obviously that brutalized them.

I made a post about the different cuts and variants a while back.  It's a surprisingly complex topic:

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t8937-documentation-of-splittertarn-uniform-variants

Steve

For sure your post on these beautiful uniforms is very informative and one I visit often. Thanks for providing this great info and photos. Posts like these make this forum relevant, at least to me..
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:59 pm

ripcord wrote:

For sure your post on these beautiful uniforms is very informative and one I visit often. Thanks for providing this great info and photos.   Posts like these make this forum relevant, at least to me..

Me too Wink Funny enough, I refer to that post myself! Especially since I've kinda been off my game for the last couple of years.

Steve
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 331

Post by TennoHeikaNate Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:41 pm

Beautiful example rip, definitely the best condition one I've ever seen, an amazing find for sure!
    I've got probably around 50+ images of various uniforms and equipment of splinter in use if you'd like me to make a separate thread to post them all, just let me know!
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:11 pm

Thank you.. your German Splinter thread is awesome !

This is a recent find.  Came with a helmet and beret that were supposedly used as a props in the video game Cold War by the Beck character.

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 20230622

TennoHeikaNate and beefheart like this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:00 am

Nice looking set you have there, Rip! From what I can see there's no damage in the usual places, it's not worn out, and the colors are strong.

Steve

ripcord likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:13 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Nice looking set you have there, Rip! From what I can see there's no damage in the usual places, it's not worn out, and the colors are strong.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  Yes very decent conditions with minimal issues.   Definitely need a proper helmet and boots, but for now it will have to do..

Splittertarnmuster Jacket 11/56 20230631

TennoHeikaNate likes this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:24 am

You will want what the Germans call the M1 helmet, which is very hard to find.  It's pretty much identical to standard US WW2 two piece helmet (small, but distinct manufacturing differences), except both components were made in Germany.  Finding either piece with correct markings is difficult.  The later M1A1 was a single piece with traditional German liner, but it started to be issued in 1958.  Technically not a match as the Splittertarn uniform was technically out of service (but in reality lasted until early 1960s).

Jack boots were definitely more common in the field as it was the regulation footwear.  However, ankle boots with gaiters theoretically were allowed as well, but normally were worn with the standard base (work) uniform.

Field belts are tricky.  The early US WW2 web style is so rare that some people doubt it really exists and was, instead, just surplus US belts.  A true German made one probably would go for $500 easy.  The second type is a square metal buckle with the middle missing on a wide stiff belt used all the way into the 1990s.  It was experimental and goes for about $150 these days.  The third type came after the Splittertarn uniform was mostly out of service and that one is the same as the one through the 1990s.  The latter are very, very easy to get (I found 3 spares today, by coincidence!).

Steve

ripcord likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:56 pm