IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ??

bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 812

Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ?? Empty Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ??

Post by bravo_2_zero Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:20 pm

I’m not a webbing collector however having used 58 during my military career this set stands out as not normal.

The colour is 100% khaki , MTP shirt to prove it’s khaki rather than green.

Loads of yoke features missing , shoulder loops for large pack , rivets , thicker padded yoke.

Kidney pouches , no top fasteners for the yoke , no white patches.

Water bottle with twist top fastener.

Cotton is VERY soft almost like expensive canvas.

All metal fixing are matt black not green.

ALL kit is matched colour , absolutely identical shade of khaki. Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ?? 6dc0b110
    Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ?? Eada8c10

bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ?? Empty Re: Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ??

Post by bravo_2_zero Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:21 pm

Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ?? Ebeb4e10
    Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ?? Dc87d110
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ?? Empty Re: Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ??

Post by bravo_2_zero Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:22 pm

Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ?? 6f73f210
    Khaki / MTP coloured 58 pattern webbing , commonwealth / type 1 ?? D5987810
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Post by Wolverine Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:00 pm

Iraqi?
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:45 am

Wolverine wrote:Iraqi?

I've had a good google and found the following info , yoke is a very early design pre 60's. The large pack straps etc... were added in 1963.
    The kidney pouches are very early pre 1963 , no top yoke fasteners but they have metal inserts in the top flaps to give them that extra square look.
    The ammo pouches have square on belt hangers , these were changed to angled to aid sitting down.
    The water bottle pouch is pre 1963 as a strap fastener replaced the twist fastener.
    The rifle grenade and bayonet attachments were also deleted in later variants.

I think this is a Very early set of 58 webbing , could even be a sample with the colour on all items identical and all the fasteners are matched black. I know first hand that 58 stuff brand new all differ in shade from different supplies and the fixing can be different shades too.
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 795

Post by michelwijnand Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:06 pm

Going by the color and the black hardware I'm inclined to agree with Wolverine.
    I've had Iraqi P58 parts that follow both early and late British patterns so that would check out too.

Though I have to mention, there have been full sets sold by several ebaysellers that I remember also being early pattern, but also having matching gaiters with them, and I thought they were repro, but I can't remember if they were also this color and also had black hardware
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Post by Wolverine Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:37 pm

I believe that the sets sold with the gaiters are aftermarket, or Asian-made for export sales.

While the pattern of the OP's set does resemble early 58 pattern, the materials and hardware seem way off. As Michel notes, some confirmed Iraqi 58 pattern also has features of early 58 pattern.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:25 am