IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

A transitional model between the M-59 and the M-69?

alltoursnatives
    alltoursnatives
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 67

A transitional model between the M-59 and the M-69? Empty A transitional model between the M-59 and the M-69?

Post by alltoursnatives Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:21 pm

Much has been written about the evolution of the type of camouflaged uniform in Spain.
    The qualitative leap between the M-59 and the M-69, (in its two variants), had a missing link. Although there are not many examples of this type, it has been possible to locate several, some, like the one shown in the image, in an excellent state of conservation, which allows us to formulate the hypothesis that, based on the quality of the fabric and the design of the uniform itself, , the possibility of creating a reversible model with the cut of the M-69 was contemplated. In practice, the result was quite mediocre. The pockets and finishes show that the dominant side was the brown one, where the pockets are, while the green side is crudely finished. other specimens, preserved in very poor conditions, show the same characteristics. to highlight, the flaps that close the front pockets of the shirt, with a peculiar design. Its use has been confirmed among paratroopers (early 80s) and members of the COE.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f59/13/77/60/03/fondom10.jpg

ripcord likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2782

A transitional model between the M-59 and the M-69? Empty Re: A transitional model between the M-59 and the M-69?

Post by ripcord Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:24 pm

alltoursnatives wrote:
    Much has been written about the evolution of the type of camouflaged uniform in Spain.
    The qualitative leap between the M-59 and the M-69, (in its two variants), had a missing link. Although there are not many examples of this type, it has been possible to locate several, some, like the one shown in the image, in an excellent state of conservation, which allows us to formulate the hypothesis that, based on the quality of the fabric and the design of the uniform itself, , the possibility of creating a reversible model with the cut of the M-69 was contemplated. In practice, the result was quite mediocre. The pockets and finishes show that the dominant side was the brown one, where the pockets are, while the green side is crudely finished. other specimens, preserved in very poor conditions, show the same characteristics. to highlight, the flaps that close the front pockets of the shirt, with a peculiar design. Its use has been confirmed among paratroopers (early 80s) and members of the COE.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f59/13/77/60/03/fondom10.jpg

I believe Steve has one of these rare variants sets, and it looks like our friend Col. Kurts has an example of the trousers..

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t12125-special-spanish-m-69-rocoso-variant

A transitional model between the M-59 and the M-69? Img_0410

Last edited by ripcord on Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6916

A transitional model between the M-59 and the M-69? Empty Re: A transitional model between the M-59 and the M-69?

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:51 pm

Correct, I have both the jacket and trousers of this uniform.  I always assumed it was a way to use surplus cloth, not as prototype for the M-69.  Reusing older cloth is a good way to reduce uniform costs.

One interesting feature on my trousers is the right hand leg pocket only has 3 button holes instead of 4.  Oops Wink

Steve

ripcord likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2782

Post by ripcord Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:16 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Correct, I have both the jacket and trousers of this uniform.  I always assumed it was a way to use surplus cloth, not as prototype for the M-69.  Reusing older cloth is a good way to reduce uniform costs.

One interesting feature on my trousers is the right hand leg pocket only has 3 button holes instead of 4.  Oops Wink

Steve

I believe these beautiful, rugged, but not particularly reversible uniforms were made of surplus M59 reversible fabric as a way of using it up . Looks like the same fabric used to make reversible Zelts.  

Oooops is right. Interesting that common M69 trousers only have 2 buttons/ holes on cargo pocket flap, not 4.

4 buttons/holes pocket / flap are generally only found on Legion type uniforms ( M73 Legion Variant ,M76s, M86 Legion Variant ).

Other than that, this uniform is cut just like any regular M69, so we have to ask: which came first ? We really need to know when these uniforms were made.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:33 pm