IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Antarmike
Rafski
6 posters

Genuine British MOD issue DPM Windproof Smock? Late 80's?

Rafski
    Rafski
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-03-13
    Number of posts : 17

Genuine British MOD issue DPM Windproof Smock? Late 80's? Empty Genuine British MOD issue DPM Windproof Smock? Late 80's?

Post by Rafski Fri May 05, 2023 6:06 am

Hi Team, hope you can confirm if my DPM windproof smock is a genuine issue version, and the era it may be from? I'm struggling with my research on the web on this, perhaps you can help me cut to the chase. The fabric itself, its weave and thickness, appears the same as my genuine issue arctic cap from the Falklands War period. It appears the same as my British WWII windproof camo trousers (obviously not the camo pattern, but just the weight and weave). I've included a photo of the label, and the zipper, to assist. Cheers, RafskiGenuine British MOD issue DPM Windproof Smock? Late 80's? Smock_13Genuine British MOD issue DPM Windproof Smock? Late 80's? Smock_16
    Genuine British MOD issue DPM Windproof Smock? Late 80's? Smock_18
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Mike Fincher
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 438

Genuine British MOD issue DPM Windproof Smock? Late 80's? Empty Re: Genuine British MOD issue DPM Windproof Smock? Late 80's?

Post by Antarmike Fri May 05, 2023 10:27 am

To my eyes "Soldier 95" pattern??  so 1995-2010??

Mind you my eyes aren't very good today.
    matchstick
    matchstick
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2022-07-08
    Number of posts : 45

Genuine British MOD issue DPM Windproof Smock? Late 80's? Empty Re: Genuine British MOD issue DPM Windproof Smock? Late 80's?

Post by matchstick Fri May 05, 2023 2:16 pm

The CG to me would indicate its either not a genuine issue article as it should say NSN followed by the 8415-99-132-xxxx bit or was purchased in through the system by other means due to a lack of sufficient stock for some sort of deployment.

Hard to tell from the pictures but the look of the fabric in the images and the way you describe it I'd hazard a guess at maybe end of the 90's to early/mid 2000's.

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6909

Post by CollectinSteve Fri May 05, 2023 6:37 pm

matchstick wrote:The CG to me would indicate its either not a genuine issue article as it should say NSN followed by the 8415-99-132-xxxx bit or was purchased in through the system by other means due to a lack of sufficient stock for some sort of deployment.

Interesting about the tag. I know so little about the labels for British kit. I don't recall seeing military style labels on kit that appears to be genuine, unlike the common practice with US commercial manufacturers.

Steve
    matchstick
    matchstick
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by matchstick Sat May 06, 2023 4:38 am

Its not a common occurrence in brit kit but it does happen, I've seen an imitation MTP assault vest on eBay that was fitted with a label for the DPM vest, that or it was a DPM vest that had had the DPM fabric removed and replaced with imitation MTP.

I've also personally owned a OG "SAS" Smock, same cut as this, that was basically a direct civvie copy of the issued thing but in plain OG that had copied the label from the issued article.
    Rafski
    Rafski
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Rafski Sat May 06, 2023 8:34 am

[quote="matchstick"]

[CG to me would indicate its either not a genuine issue article as it should say NSN]

All my genuine British shirts and jackets from mid 80’s to 1st Gulf War issue, have CG as prefix to their numbers, with none stating ‘NSN’.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Mike Fincher
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 438

Post by Antarmike Sat May 06, 2023 12:20 pm

Is the CG not the Domestic Managment Code used by UK? A uniquely British stock number that in this case is the same as the International Nato stock number?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/490897/Section_AT1-6_DMC_CG_1.pdf

Rafski likes this post

matchstick
    matchstick
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by matchstick Sat May 06, 2023 4:49 pm

Antarmike wrote:Is the CG not the Domestic Managment Code used by UK? A uniquely British stock number that in this case is the same as the International Nato stock number?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/490897/Section_AT1-6_DMC_CG_1.pdf

To my knowledge the DMC in the PDF attached is for Defence Material Catalogue and the CG for Clothing. The -99- in the NSN being for British kit. We do have -01- for American stuff for the Oshkosh, -12- for German stuff for the MAN SV's and -15- for a very select number of Italian bits for the Land Rovers in the supply system that I'm aware of.

[quote="matchstick"]

[CG to me would indicate its either not a genuine issue article as it should say NSN]

All my genuine British shirts and jackets from mid 80’s to 1st Gulf War issue, have CG as prefix to their numbers, with none stating ‘NSN’.

It may well be genuine and as I said in the other portion of the original reply bought in on a rush to fulfil a need outside of the normal supply chain, but I've personally never had anything from any decade with CG then the NSN, only alternatives I've had to an NSN prefix are 22C or 22G.

Rafski likes this post

Rich83
    Rich83
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Rich
    Registration date : 2012-03-24
    Number of posts : 144

Post by Rich83 Sat May 20, 2023 2:11 am

Looks legit to me. It's the older type of smock I believe, issued before the ripstop Combat Soldier 95/00 jacket that came without a hood.

Pockets all look correct, zipper is same as used on old British army kit. I'm pretty sure I had one of these jackets.

Rafski likes this post

shorterxp

Registration date : 2021-08-03
    Number of posts : 7

Post by shorterxp Sat May 20, 2023 2:12 am

The one i have is identical bit has a plastic label

If it has “wash as cotton” then its cotton, likely gabardine.

Rafski likes this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sat May 20, 2023 2:31 pm

I just stumbled across one in my collection, except in super rare "sparse desert DPM". Unfortunately the label is just about totally washed out.

The camo pattern and the small dish buttons for sure make mine pre-S95. Not sure if that helps any.

Steve
    Rafski
    Rafski
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Rafski Sat May 20, 2023 9:04 pm

Please post a photo Steve when you have a moment.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sun May 21, 2023 5:46 pm

Rafski wrote:Please post a photo Steve when you have a moment.

Done! Posted to the UK section:

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t13523-sparse-desert-dpm-items#101631

Steve

Rafski likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:25 pm