IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

South African camouflage question, SARP ?

beefheart
    beefheart
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Frownland Archive
    Registration date : 2022-02-21
    Number of posts : 34

South African camouflage question, SARP ? Empty South African camouflage question, SARP ?

Post by beefheart Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:13 am

Hello everyone,

I'm excited to share that I've recently acquired this beautiful South African camouflage, which was used by the Special Task Force of the South African Railway Police during the Apartheid era.

However, I have a question after reading various sources. It seems that the base color should be much darker. Could this be the SARP pattern and cut instead of the Ciskei tribal homeland one?

Unfortunately, there are no tags to provide more information. Does anyone know if it was made in South Africa? I'd appreciate any insights you can offer. Many thanks in advance!

South African camouflage question, SARP ? Img_1611
    South African camouflage question, SARP ? Img_1610

ripcord likes this post

beefheart
    beefheart
    Corporal
    Corporal

South African camouflage question, SARP ? Empty Re: South African camouflage question, SARP ?

Post by beefheart Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:15 am

Update: there is trace of missing tag, just like the usual tag as found and labeled made in Johannsesburg.

And found the exact cut. Sorry for the confusion. It’s 100% SARP
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3396

South African camouflage question, SARP ? Empty Re: South African camouflage question, SARP ?

Post by vonstuck Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:06 am

hello
    your jacket his soo new that we can see 5 colors!
    Gilles
    beefheart
    beefheart
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by beefheart Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:56 am

Hi Gilles, thanks! The colors is very strong but missing tags sadly.
    Ferdie
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2009-06-04
    Number of posts : 28

Post by Ferdie Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:35 am

Can’t be either Ciskei or SARP as the base Colour is nutria, it’s a much darker camo. Never seen this one before. I will ask some experts.
    Ferdie
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2009-06-04
    Number of posts : 28

Post by Ferdie Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:58 pm

The answer from an expert.

... the cut of the garment is SARP/ SASP, pattern and colours AND orientation of the print screens, IS correct for SARP/ SASP camo; however the base cloth is not the production spec - I suspect that this was likely pre-production sample piece, for approval. It’s not the latter CDF camo.

ripcord and beefheart like this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2781

Post by ripcord Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:04 pm

Yes, same cut as  SARP jackets..

South African camouflage question, SARP ? P1010112

beefheart likes this post

beefheart
    beefheart
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by beefheart Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:41 pm

Ferdie wrote:The answer from an expert.

... the cut of the garment is SARP/ SASP, pattern and colours AND orientation of the print screens, IS correct for SARP/ SASP camo; however the base cloth is not the production spec - I suspect that this was likely pre-production sample piece, for approval. It’s not the latter CDF camo.

Many thanks for the information Ferdie! So it might be the sample piece since the base cloth is not used widely for production runs.

@ripcord, that's very nice example! love it

ripcord likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:55 am