IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying

michtag
    michtag

Registration date : 2023-12-04
    Number of posts : 4

Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying Empty Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying

Post by michtag Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:06 pm

Good evening, I have a [hopefully] simple question for those of you who are knowledgeable in Norwegian helmets.
    I have recently acquired this helmet which originally I thought could be a British MkII used in the Italian campaign (I could only see very bad photos) and it turns out that's in fact (I think) a Norwegian post-war refurbishment.

The Shell is a US M1917 helmet while the liner is a dutch made copy of the British liner (the size stamp "56" is a big give-away...).
    No other markings are present, but despite the lack of Norwegian Army decals I believe this is the helmet used before the adoption of the M58 (US M1 Clone).

Could anyone confirm that this is a correct identification?
    Also, is it correct to think that not 100% of Norwegian helmets had the decals and that this one never had them? Or have they been removed?
    I have another Norwegian MkII (British shell) with decals and a Dutch manufactured chinstrap, but this seems to be a British one (or a copy of it).
    Finally, is the camo net consistent with Norwegian use? Or is it a completely different net?
    Does anyone have any period photos I can use to check this against?

Many thanks indeed

Michele

Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying Front10

Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying Side10

Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying Ineer10

Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying Size10

Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying Markin10

Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying Net10
    Bert353
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2018-02-03
    Number of posts : 93

Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying Empty Re: Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying

Post by Bert353 Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:26 am

I think this might be a Dutch Bescherming Bevolking (BB or civil protection) helmet, my father had the same one in those days. without the netting.
    michtag
    michtag

Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying Empty Re: Norwegian Post War refurbished MkI (M1917) helmet - help in identifying

Post by michtag Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:26 am

Bert353 wrote:I think this might be a Dutch Bescherming Bevolking (BB or civil protection) helmet, my father had the same one in those days. without the netting.

It may be that, but from what i know the Dutch BB used a different colour for their helmet, very much a grey.
    This is beije/ocre which is the same as another Norwegian helmet I have (with decals)

many thanks
    Michele
    Bert353
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2018-02-03
    Number of posts : 93

Post by Bert353 Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:32 am

I'm not sure that all were that gray, because that chin band, and pad where the bolt is are typical, I remember them, but just in that time I already asked myself why isn't this helmet gray as the rest of the uniform?

and is that a primer under this layer of paint?
    michtag
    michtag

Post by michtag Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:40 am

Bert353 wrote:I'm not sure that all were that gray, because that chin band, and pad where the bolt is are typical, I remember them, but just in that time I already asked myself why isn't this helmet gray as the rest of the uniform?

and is that a primer under this layer of paint?

There seems to be a grey primer under the outer paint, yes. The Liner is 100% Dutch made, but Norway purchased liners from the Netherlands, so that is normal.
    I do not dispute what you are saying, of course this could be a Dutch BB helmet, but it has all the typical traits of being a Norwegian helmet simply due to:

-The Colour
    -The fact that is it a US WW1 shell
    -The Dutch liner

Of course it is very possible that all the above also apply to Dutch BB helmets.... Smile

Many thanks
    Michele

Bert353 likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:41 am