IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Trying to find the origin of these fake body armors once and for all

michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 796

Trying to find the origin of these fake body armors once and for all Empty Trying to find the origin of these fake body armors once and for all

Post by michelwijnand Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:33 am

So these sh*tty looking vests have been appearing at least on the Dutch market for years now, and everyone offering them either actually think they are selling an actual original issue item,
    or are pretending to so they don't lose their investment.

They have the basic shape of some hunter vests but with Doron plates inside, or sometimes fake plates that I believe might even be asbestos!

Looking at the tag it already seems laughably fake, size EL??? FSN and contract from the 3/4 collar body armor vest to make it seem more legit, USA on the tag which was never done, bullet free is at least in some
    languages the direct translation of their word for bulletproof, for example in Dutch we say kogelvrij, the literal translation of vrij is free, there's bbound to be more languages that have this.

Side adjustments made to look like the ones on 3/4 collar vests but with randomly colored strings, weak inner lining that looks like it comes from some old winterjacket liners or a sleepingbag liner, scovill
    zippers, maybe are these made from random surplus US stuff?

Another fun fact, these also appear in Woodland camo while still having the FSN and contractcodes for the 60's vests on the tags since the tags are just the same as on the OD vests.
    I do know 1 shop that knows they are fake since they are normally pretty expensive with everything related to armor but price these at just €15, but I'm trying to find out more about these things so colectors here
    can be better educated about these fakes.

Trying to find the origin of these fake body armors once and for all Beunve10

milly66 and Jaysgear like this post

Sanglier
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2022-08-03
    Number of posts : 26

Trying to find the origin of these fake body armors once and for all Empty Re: Trying to find the origin of these fake body armors once and for all

Post by Sanglier Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:53 pm

Such an enigma! The English on the label is almost purposefully and humorously bad, like something coming out of Borat's mouth. Why go through this much trouble to make so many obvious mistakes for something that sells for only €15?

If "bullet free" is a transliteration of "bulletproof" in the native language of the maker, and not an indication of the condition of the garment when it left the factory, then we can at least rule out East Asia as the source of this strange beast, as all of those languages put "proof" ahead of "bullet".
    Jaysgear

Name : Jay
    Registration date : 2023-10-22
    Number of posts : 5

Trying to find the origin of these fake body armors once and for all Empty Re: Trying to find the origin of these fake body armors once and for all

Post by Jaysgear Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:24 am

It looks as if they have been botched together from various pieces of military surplus fabric, they look eastern European to me. There's loads of old cold war ex military gear still in storage in the old soviet bloc countries. Maybe someones trying to recycle it into a more saleable product?.
    Were the inserts actually marked as Doron or could they be just faked fibreglass also?
    Another option could be someone had a large stock of old Doron or similar plates and created a cheap vest to fit them in.
    I've not seen anything like them in the UK.
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 796

Post by michelwijnand Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:19 am

Well I don't have a vest in my possession and also reeeeeaaaally don't want one of these abominations either, but I don't remember the plates I've seen sticking out of a destroyed vest like this having any markings at all,
    but the color was a weird grey and it almst seemed like it might have been asbestos or something similar, but I've seen a photo of another that has an orangy look to it from someone that made a small cut in his vest to show
    potential buyers what was inside, so it's anyone's guess what's actually put in there

milly66 and Jaysgear like this post

milly66
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2019-08-11
    Number of posts : 51

Post by milly66 Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:24 am

Hi all.
    I would like to say a few things about these "items".
    Firstly, i cannot believe the price asked by for the sellers, one can buy an original for the same price. Also, if one wants to purchase one of these items, i am sure the individual has done their research and know what to look for. These are getting worse than the countless knife listings on the Dutch Maarktplats website. One seller is a surplus dealer so it may be worth asking where their vest came from. 2 links to current, at this date, listings in Dutch Maarktplats....

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/verzamelen/militaria-algemeen/m2058192285-prachtig-kogelwerend-vest-usa-als-nieuw-plate-carier?correlationId=5ad3d2fb-c7b1-4f77-a7e5-64f70b64663f

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/verzamelen/militaria-algemeen/m2042228902-kogelwerend-vest-vietnam?correlationId=ac00ab54-09fb-44c9-9354-ef9721c8eab2

It would be interesting to see if these items actually cross borders and are available in any other Country? There is a possibility of then pinning them down.

As collectors we are very aware of these items, but those that are not so "savy" may be drawn to buy one of these "things".

Be safe all and enjoy the New Year.
    Regards Kevin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:52 pm