IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
ken1224
panzerwerk
sepia
hochiminhtrail
filupe
ADMIN
10 posters

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo)

ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-02-12
    Number of posts : 247

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Empty Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo)

Post by ADMIN Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Here is one of my more favorite camouflage jackets in my Viet-Nam collection. This is a very unusual piece. I have been offered BIG bucks for this jacket, but have turned down all offers.
    This jacket is a 1969 0r 1970 dated ARVN brown dominant ERDL jacket. It has a nice SV QMC stamp in the neck area. It has a small tear in the back of the jacket in the back/neck area.
    Attached to the right breast is a Cambodian jump wing. Over both pockets is some strange writing. To me, it looks like Cambodian writing. Can anyone help me identify who used this jacket?

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Safar_024

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Safar_026

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Safar_025

Last pic. This jacket also came with a small short or xsmall short pair of US brown dominant ERDL pants. Both jacket and pants have equal fading and wear.

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Safar_028
    ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Empty Re: Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo)

Post by ADMIN Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Hmm..

i am intrigued to say the least.

A couple of questions for you;

1.Is the direct embroidery and the Bao Chi tape constructed from a felt like substance?

2.What are the button holes finished like?

Have you had this item long if you do not mind me asking?

Patrick.
    ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Empty Re: Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo)

Post by ADMIN Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Patrick,
    No, the Bao Chi tape and embroidery are not felt like. The Bao Chi tape is made of cotton and the other writing is direct embroidered on the jacket (cotton as well).

As far as button holes, it has two different types. One type appears to be just cut while the other seems to have a sort of loop stitch style reinforcement.

Length of time this been in my collection? I'd say 8 or 9 years.

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Purple_013
    ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by ADMIN Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Other button hole. By the way there are no buttons or button holes on the cuff area on the sleeve.

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Purple_012
    ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by ADMIN Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:13 pm

The jacket is dated 1969. I just checked.

Arch
    filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:05 pm

Can you supply a picture of the tag?

The 'Bao Chi' tape is Vietnamese for 'newspaper' i.e. this tape would have been worn by some sort of journalist. The wings are 'in country' made Cambodian. I'm not familiar with the script i.e. could be Cambodian/Lao/Thai. There is someone on USMilFor that can translate Thai but I don't know how they'd go with Cambodian ...
    hochiminhtrail

Registration date : 2009-03-05
    Number of posts : 3

Post by hochiminhtrail Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:17 pm

yes Bao chi, means journalist in this case.

fantastic jacket i m looking for FANK items, a very rare piece indeed.

cheers

Alex
    hochiminhtrail

Post by hochiminhtrail Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:18 pm

well just seeing the script i m not sure if it s khmer or thai?

we need to check that out.

Cheers

Alex
    hochiminhtrail

Post by hochiminhtrail Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:33 pm

i think it s thai and not khmer

Alex
    sepia
    sepia
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2009-10-20
    Number of posts : 20

Post by sepia Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:01 am

hochiminhtrail wrote:i think it s thai and not khmer

Alex
    It isn't Thai,I sure Wink .But it's Khmer (or Lao),I don't sure Neutral .
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:56 pm

The Buttons bother me , they are the U.S. donuts not the typical saucers used in the making of ARVN uniforms , they could have been taken from U.S. uniform but this does not make much sense as there are still to this day plenty of original Arvn type buttons still around , Im not saying its fake , it would just raise a red flag for me , stamps are dime a dozen , I just dont know enough about these unis to make any firm statement , just pointing out the one weird thing I see .
    Also I dont remember if the Arvn manufactures ever used Ripstop , as said berofr it could have been made from a U.S. uniform and re tailored .

Theoretically they should be this style

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) ARVNerdl6
    ken1224
    ken1224
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Robert
    Registration date : 2009-05-29
    Number of posts : 10

Post by ken1224 Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:53 am

What is the size ? I am looking for a large long of XLT 6"2 230 lbs.
    Thank You,
    Ken
    1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Post by 1stDivVet Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:06 pm

I have one in a similar cut, but mine has lower pockets and no shoulder straps. Still made of brown dom ERDL and uses the donut type buttons.

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Pict0013

Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Robert
    Registration date : 2009-05-29
    Number of posts : 10

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Empty Coat

Post by ken1224 Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:20 pm

1stDivVet wrote:I have one in a similar cut, but mine has lower pockets and no shoulder straps. Still made of brown dom ERDL and uses the donut type buttons.

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Pict0013
    How much are you asking for it? sounds fine
    ken drunken
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Nice news reporter jacket !!!!
    I just got a stunning Tiger one with similar tape but over the left breast pocket .
    Its hand done .
    yours is a stunner .
    owen
    cjimmi

Registration date : 2011-10-26
    Number of posts : 1

Post by cjimmi Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:34 pm

All i can help you with is the translation for the text: Reporter for Magazine Nheav Vik. it truly is Khmer text(Cambodian) i hope that helps.
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

Post by nkomo Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:14 am

cjimmi wrote:All i can help you with is the translation for the text: Reporter for Magazine Nheav Vik. it truly is Khmer text(Cambodian) i hope that helps.
    Thanks for the translation. It reinforces what I recently found out about the jacket.

Since this thread has been started, some interesting information has come to light about this piece. Pretty sure we have tracked down the original owner of the set and she was a quite controversial reporter for Newsweek magazine. She Started off working in Saigon as a stringer for Newsweek and when Newsweek’s Phnom Penh correspondent was killed, she went up and took his place. Lets just say she caused a LOT of problems for the US Government while she was there.

The jacket is a small size, as was the woman in question. The date on the inner manufacturer's stamp is 69 and the reporter started her career in Vietnam/Cambodia in 1969. The direct embroidery on the jacket says Reporter Newsweek, as was the woman who we suspect owned this jacket. Seperately, you could make a case against the information leading to this woman, but when all things are taken as whole, they certianly make a convincing case.

Last edited by nkomo on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:56 am

To give you an idea the size of the woman in question, this is her next to some Cambodian soldiers (kids in uniforms????). To me, the uniform that I have would have certainly fit this woman.

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Sylvan10
    Cambodia, 1970

Unusual ARVN Camouflage Jacket?, Cambodian? (originally posted by nkomo) Sylvan11
    Vietnam, 1969

Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 am

Great detective work Arch! Unusual that she should wear Cambodian para wings, perhaps honorary .. after all she is 'SF'!
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:34 am

filupe wrote:Great detective work Arch! Unusual that she should wear Cambodian para wings, perhaps honorary .. after all she is 'SF'!

Actually, Hochimeintrail and Kammo-Man helped me figure this one out. Cjimmi confirmed the writing for me as well.

The uniform has not been worn much and I don't think it was something she wore everyday. I am in the same camp as you about the Cambodian jump wings. I also agree it was something that was given to her as an honorary thing. Notice the lack of US or South Vietnamese jump wings.

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:42 am

nkomo wrote:
    filupe wrote:Great detective work Arch! Unusual that she should wear Cambodian para wings, perhaps honorary .. after all she is 'SF'!

Actually, Hochimeintrail and Kammo-Man helped me figure this one out. Cjimmi confirmed the writing for me as well. They gave me some great bits of information and I kinda filled in the blanks.

The uniform has not been worn much and I don't think it was something she wore everyday. I am in the same camp as you about the Cambodian jump wings. I also agree it was something that was given to her as an honorary thing. Notice the lack of US or South Vietnamese jump wings.

Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Very cool Arch .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:21 am