IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle

misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle Empty Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle

Post by misanthropic_gods Wed May 12, 2010 5:25 am

Last September I had the distinct pleasure of trading a Mint 1970 Mitchell Pattern Helmet Cover that was literally JUST taken out of the box, for a set of Captured Soviet APC Crewman's items that an 82nd Abn trooper had brought back from Operation Urgent Fury on Grenada. If I remember correctly when he was captured the vet divested him of these items.

Soviet, 1970 dated APC tankers helmet with throat mic and comm jack

Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle P5110009
    Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle P5110010
    Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle P5110011
    Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle P5110013
    Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle P5110020

fairly run of the mill, Soviet belt buckle..that bastard has been scratched up
    though. I wonder what it saw

Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle P5110023
    Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle P5110025

Standard Soviet issue canteen, in pretty good condition too!
    Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle P5110027
    Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle P5110028

A book that the Vet had a picture of himself ON Grenada in. It is cover to cover full of GREAT color photos of 82nd Abn troops in OUF. This book was apparently made in Japan for the collector market there, I think it was published pretty quickly after the operation as well, it refers to the PASGT helmet as the "Fritz helmet" and talks about how it is brand new. The vet also included his story and some comments in post-it notes throughout the book.
    Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle P5110030

to tell you the truth I knew a basic overview of what happened on Grenada but never really looked into it in detail until I was offered this grouping in trade. I am quite impressed. I feel honored to have this in my collection and it has a special place on my headgear shelf right in my living room

the helmet cover I traded Very Happy
    Grenada Bringback: Captured APC crewman's Helmet, canteen and Buckle Afghan005

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:30 pm