IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Camo_fiend
nkomo
6 posters

Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger

nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger Empty Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger

Post by nkomo Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Picked this uniform up this past weekend. This uniform comes with shirt, pants, maroon beret, cap, and pocket hanger. Can anyone identify the pocket hanger? These uniforms, I thought, were used by Bulgarian military advisors. Where this one was used...God only knows.

Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger Dscn1213
    Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger Dscn1214

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger Empty Re: Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger

Post by Camo_fiend Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:38 pm

God I love this uniform!

"БA" is most likely an abbreviation for Bulgarian Army, similar to the "CA" Soviet Army items of the Communist era. "Свързочен Полк" translates to signal regiment.

A very rare set, nice find Arch!

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger Empty Re: Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger

Post by nkomo Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks for the compliment and information, Camo! NOW....time to figure out the exact unit and if they were ever deployed overseas. From what I understand, this was a desert type pattern worn by military advisors in desert enironments. I know the Bulgarians had a small contingent of soldiers deployed to Angola as a monitioring force with the UN. Could it be from there? Would this pattern have been used in the former Yugoslavia while they were deployed there? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Arch

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Question... how did you get ANOTHER advisor's set? Bugger Smile

Can you read the numbers on the pocket hanger that are just below the drawing of Bulgaria? If it is "95" then perhaps that is a date? I'll see if I can get someone to translate the two words at the bottom.

I doubt this was used in the former Yugoslavia. As far as I know they used standard issue uniforms there. At least I know for sure both the Splinter and recent green woodlandy uniform were both used regularly there.

Steve
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm totally clueless as to when/where/why the Bulgarians had "advisors" in Angola. Laughing

Whatever the reason, there's definitely some good history behind this set!

nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:03 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Question... how did you get ANOTHER advisor's set? Bugger Smile

Can you read the numbers on the pocket hanger that are just below the drawing of Bulgaria? If it is "95" then perhaps that is a date? I'll see if I can get someone to translate the two words at the bottom.

I doubt this was used in the former Yugoslavia. As far as I know they used standard issue uniforms there. At least I know for sure both the Splinter and recent green woodlandy uniform were both used regularly there.

Steve
    Steve,
    Yes, there is a 95 underneath the country. There are also what appear to be three stylized X'x intertwined above the country as well.

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi Arch,

The words along the bottom of the badge are "Signals Regiment". I would assume the "95" represents the Regiment Number. I checked quickly to confirm this but did not find detailed enough info. However, the regimental number of "95" seems consistent with Bulgarian numbering systems in the 1980s through current times.

The likely commander of this Regiment at the time was Atanas Dimitrov Zaprianov. Here's his profile:

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/SID-2CE29F68-345AAA31/natolive/who_is_who_49722.htm

Steve
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:49 am

The guy I checked with just sent me some additional information that is interesting, though I can't verify it myself:

It is a Uniform worn by students during their Military Training in the 80's . During Communist Era all students went through different military training. After school every man went to obligatory Military Service. At this period the service was 3 years !

Steve
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:55 am

Not doubting your source, but I have always heard these sets were made for soldiers/adviosrs sent to desert environments (Africa, Middle East, etc). I had this verified by a Bulgarian advisor who was assigned to Mozambique in the late 1980's.

Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 am

Man I hate you Arch ............. Laughing
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Arch,

My source could be wrong or both of our sources could be correct. Since the missions of advisors to Africa were probably small and there were no desert uniforms, this uniform makes sense to wear. It certainly would make some sense for such a small group to use an existing uniform rather than have something specially made for them.

Either way, I'm sure that advisors wore this uniform. Way too many reliable collector sources say the same thing.

Steve
    drmatz
    drmatz

Name : danilo matz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2103

Post by drmatz Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Another Lizard variation, this is from around late 90's

Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger P1180411
    Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger P1180412
    Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger P1180413

http://picasaweb.google.com/danilomatz
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:03 pm

As I just mentioned in your other thread, as far as I know there's no evidence that Bulgarian military used this uniform in any sort of official capacity. For sure some commercial items were made in this pattern, but of course that doesn't mean all of it is. Hopefully we can get something definitive on this stuff.

Steve
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:49 pm

The set Danilo posted looks a lot like the Greek lizard pattern. Interesting.

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:40 pm

It's definitely Bulgarian. The only issue is if it's pure commercial or if it has some link to the Bulgarian military.

Steve
    Necrolust
    Necrolust
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Rumen Simeonov
    Registration date : 2010-08-15
    Number of posts : 226

Post by Necrolust Mon May 06, 2019 6:28 pm

Bulgaria sent infantry battalion in 1300 troops in Cambodia 1992 ...
    Here pic's Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger Kambod11
    Bulgarian Lizard Pattern Uniform - Unknown Pocket Hanger Kambod10
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue May 14, 2019 12:55 am

Very interesting! The soldier standing second from the left, back row, is wearing yellow tapes over his pockets. Nobody else seems to be wearing any. How odd!

Steve
    Necrolust
    Necrolust
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Rumen Simeonov
    Registration date : 2010-08-15
    Number of posts : 226

Post by Necrolust Tue May 14, 2019 3:20 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Very interesting!  The soldier standing second from the left, back row, is wearing yellow tapes over his pockets.  Nobody else seems to be wearing any.  How odd!

Steve

No Steve one of down also have yellow tapes.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue May 14, 2019 8:01 pm

I wasn't so sure that's what that was. Do you have any knowledge about the yellow tapes? I've never seen anything quite like it before and it seems it wasn't standard for these soldiers to have them.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:47 pm