IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Martin
koalorka
rsunday
CollectinSteve
Philip
vonstuck
10 posters

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material

vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3395

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Empty paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material

Post by vonstuck Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:50 pm

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_9010

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_9011

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_6618

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_6619

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_6620

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Pologn33

+ a beret

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_6621
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Empty Re: paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material

Post by vonstuck Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:57 pm

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Pologn15

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Pologn16

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Pologn17
    Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 3117

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Empty Re: paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material

Post by Philip Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Interesting piece!

vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by vonstuck Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:25 pm

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_9110
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:28 am

Hi Gilles,

VERY nice original special forces pull over (with large chest pocket). I have trousers and got screwed out of a top years ago, haven't found another one since Sad

The other one is probably commercial. I had a commercial smock in a different pattern, but sold it back in 2005:

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material PolishFrogskinJacket

Notice that my smock is the same pattern as yours, except mine is printed flipped left/right, does not have rain strokes, and is slightly different colors. Both are different from the genuine parachute cloth. Also, the genuine items were all field made and not made in factories like our two commercial examples.

At least that's my opinion Very Happy

Steve
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by vonstuck Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:25 pm

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_7327

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_7328

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_7329

Maybe garment for hunter
    Gilles
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:51 am

Awesome! First one I've seen sewn into a jacket. The others I've seen are the pull over type.

Steve
    rsunday
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-12-18
    Number of posts : 15

Post by rsunday Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:50 am

Concerning para beret - it never went with metal ranks (or eagle badges) - since 1967 always made of PVC (conscripts) or bullion (NCOs and officers)
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Has anyone seen a coverall in this pattern?

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Picture024b

The para posing with the grenade launcher seems to be wearing a 1-piece suit.
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Dredging through the Polish web I've found a few more photos and some information on these uniforms.

They're all custom-made from ripstop-reinforced nylon fabric from damaged parachute canopies used in the 1960s, and apparently as early as the 1950s (but in a different fabric back then). Popular with special purpose units and worn well into the 1990s. The photos below show the coverall in use by the 56 Kompania Specjalna (special company, dissolved in 1994). The fabric was also used to sew over existing field uniforms, sleeping bags and was also made into items for boy scouts and angling clubs. The commercially-made copies were marketed to hunters and fishermen.

The photos aren't dated and I'm not sure what the source is, appear to be magazine scans:

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Polish5

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Polish7

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Polish4

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Polish3
    Martin
    Martin
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Martin
    Registration date : 2009-06-25
    Number of posts : 923

Post by Martin Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:15 pm

RAIDS magazine about 1991 or 92. I have the copy and was just reading it on the shitter last week, can't remember the exact year. Good article. I don't think it's 56 Kompania Specjalna... It was recon platoons of the Para Battalion or something like that... But I don't have the mag with me right now.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:31 am

Yup, two and one piece uniforms. Because they were custom made there is some variation, but they do tend to follow the same designs reasonably closely. I have trousers and was supposed to have a smock, but my source disappeared before I transferred the money. At least I had that going for me!

Steve
    sonderbarliebe
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2015-07-16
    Number of posts : 11

Post by sonderbarliebe Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:03 am

vonstuck wrote:paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_9010

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_9011

Actually this particular jacket was not made from parachute material but from the sleeping bag. You can tell by the different (darker) coloration, more dense pattern, and sort of "raindrop" pattern mixed in on the green.

vonstuck wrote:
    paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_6618

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_6619

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 100_6620

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material Pologn33

This one however is great example of parachute camouflage material. The cut was inspired by the scouts' hooded jacket.

Great finds folks, these jackets are extremely rare.
    Martin
    Martin
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Martin
    Registration date : 2009-06-25
    Number of posts : 923

Post by Martin Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:16 pm

The sleeping bag pattern is interesting - I've seen waterproof type commercial garments made in this pattern (na ryby). Was this pattern officially issued - were the sleeping bags official issue?

Here are some more items:
    http://camouniforms.net/index.php/eastern-europe/poland/parachute-pattern
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Another good thread to revisit Smile  Nice to know sleeping bags exist in a slightly different variation of the pattern.  That explains a lot.

Since I'm here, I'll post some pictures of my smock.  Note the different batches of cloth!:

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material File_zpsef89201e

I also have trousers, coveralls, and Gilles' winter jacket. I don't have pictures handy.

Steve
    sonderbarliebe
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by sonderbarliebe Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:44 pm

That is very interesting example especially because of the different batches of material used to make the garment.

Material came from demilled canopies from cargo parachutes (ZT-500 made by Aviotex later renamed Air-Pol) that were put out of the use, I am not sure if these came from personnel parachutes' canopies as well. Mostly these were sewn by the civilian seamstresses from the parachute repair and maintenance section (some of those old ladies have been working for 30 or 35 years and have been making some stuff for me recently) using the parachute sewing machines and distinctive gray-blue thread and sewing pattern that guaranteed high quality and strength of the seams. Sometimes these were made on order privately by civilian tailors or mothers upon paratrooper's request.

Sleeping bags were also canibalized but not considered "cool" enough (not only because of the not purily airborne origin as anyone could acquire sleeping bag but also because the quality of material was worse).

These sleeping bags were standard issue, however some units (especially mechanized ones) didn't issue them "just because" or they didn't have them at hand to issue and some sort of equivalents had to be provided. Generally speaking airborne troops, special companies and any other personnel wearing "red berets" were issued those as those sleeping bags were crucial for their survival in the field during winter or mountain training. What is more! These couple decades old sleeping bags are STILL issued today sometimes as the equivalent if the administrative is unable to supply current standard issue sleeping bags... UNBELIEVABLE!

Well only recently airmobile/parachute qualified troops were issued new type of composite helmet that superseded old model introduced in 1963! Unbelievable! And sad.

PS: I am sorry I might have given you misleading information about differences in camo pattern variants used on parachute canopies and sleeping bags. YES the differences exist, YES the sleeping bags are found often darker. I am sorry for the mistake.
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:53 pm

That's interesting, thanks for sharing.

The coverall version seems to be the most prevalent in the reference photos. Do you know if there was a preference for one over the other in service?
    sonderbarliebe
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by sonderbarliebe Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:18 am

Well I do not know which style of camouflage garment was preferred (coveralls or 2 piece). But I think it's worth noting that the coveralls bear very strong resemblance to WW2 soviet camouflage coveralls in terms of cut and construction.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:05 am

Great info! Yes, my pieces have the blue thread. I found that to be a peculiar choice, so I'm glad to hear it's a good sign of authenticity Very Happy

That's crazy to know guys are still jumping with the old composite helmets. I have a couple and I don't think I'd like to hit the ground too hard with one of those. It feels like it would crack wide open.

Steve
    sonderbarliebe
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by sonderbarliebe Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:54 am

Yes, old type of helmet (steel pot with leather liner named wz.1963) was called "nut" because of the funny appearance. It's fun jumping with them sometimes you have to catch it in flight or look for it on the ground as the old leather straps liked to break, or the size of helmet was wrong and too large brain bucket slipped off. But the same thing goes for the new type (composite helmet named HA-03) unless you don't tape over the small emergency quick release buckle that is not suited for jumping but placed on the left strap I guess anyway... Also the small dial thing on the nape pad supposedly for regulation breaks the second you hit anything with your head. But still better to be first user of HA-03 with imitation of MICH cushioning pads than the 9000th user of wz.63 with sweated through and rotten leather liner...
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:31 pm

Ah, so you jump with the old steel helmet! I thought you were talking about the fiberglass style helmet that was shared between DDR and Polish airborne forces. Did you ever jump with that one?

Steve
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:02 pm

I'm impressed by how well my coverall was actually made, with a nice brown plastic eagle button on the main flap, very ornate.

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material OhnQzW

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material 2ZR5cv
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:46 pm

I agree, very nice construction job.  The weakness, of course, is the cloth itself.

Here's my used set of trousers.  You can see the great attention to detail:

paratrooper garment camouflage build in parachute material File_zpsuvmz9mg3

It is modeled after the special forces type trousers with two front thigh pockets with bayonet holder on the right.  It has a button fly with a full compliment of brown army buttons.

This is yet another color variant as it doesn't match either of the smock's two colors.

Steve
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:57 pm

Very cool. I assumed they never bothered to make separate trousers, and they even went to the trouble of using the US paratrooper cut...

Since we're on topic and we have a former paratrooper here, what exactly where those thigh pockets meant to store, since they have a very specific and odd size? Popular folklore has it that they were for PMD-6 anti-personnel mines..
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:11 pm

koalorka wrote:Very cool. I assumed they never bothered to make separate trousers, and they even went to the trouble of using the US paratrooper cut...

I just looked at mine. Here are the details:

1. two hand pockets
    2. two front thigh pockets with hidden buttons
    3. two rear thigh pockets with hidden buttons
    4. bayonet holder and loop (hand stitched on, I might add!)
    5. hidden button fly with exposed button for the waistband
    6. beltloops
    7. zippers on the outside of the cuffs and elastic bottoms
    8. maroon fake silk liner (mine's in rough shape!)

In short, it's pretty much an exact copy of the US (special forces) type trousers.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm