IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
ОКП
misanthropic_gods
escammo
7 posters

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos

escammo
    escammo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Erick
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Number of posts : 165

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Empty Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos

Post by escammo Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Jacket: 6 button front. 2 chest pockets with button closure. 2 upper sleeve pockets with Velcro closures. suspender slots – two in front and one in the back. button cuffs. internal pocket on the inside right side and internal pistol holster on the inside left side of the jacket. there is a lanyard with a clip attached to the holster that is used to secure a pistol. sewn-down shoulder epaulets. reinforced elbows.

Pants: 5 button front. 6 beltloops. 2 buttoned take-up tabs at the waist. fob pocket on left hip, suspender d-ring attachments – two in front and one in back, 2 hip pockets. 2 cargo pockets at the sides of the legs with the left pocket divided into 2 sections. reinforced knees. cuff ties on the pants with cotton strap “stirrups” to help keep pant legs in the soldier’s boots. the pants come with suspenders in the same camo coloration as the uniform.

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Soviet_4_pocket_type1-1
    Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Soviet_4_pocket_type1_holster
    Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Soviet_4_pocket_type1_chest
    Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Soviet_4_pocket_type1_sleeve
    Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Soviet_4_pocket_type1_shoulder
    Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Soviet_4_pocket_type1_slot1
    Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Soviet_4_pocket_type1_slot2
    Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Soviet_4_pocket_type1_pants
    Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Soviet_4_pocket_type1_pants2

Stamps are located on the inside lower left side of the jacket and left pocket inside the pants. Date stamps of 1991 and older designate Soviet uniforms.

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Stamp-1

Check to see if the factory stamps and control numbers on the jacket match the pants. If they do then you have a matched set.
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Empty Re: Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos

Post by misanthropic_gods Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:07 am

Woah, thats really cool...GREAT info.

I love that integrated holster.
    escammo
    escammo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Empty Soviet 4 Pocket Type II

Post by escammo Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Soviet 4 Pocket Type II uniforms share the same features of the Type I uniforms except;

1)Instead of sewn-on shoulder boards, Type II uniforms have button-down shoulder straps.

2)Type II uniforms do not have suspenders so there are no suspender slots on the jacket or d-ring suspender attachments on the pants.

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Soviet_4_pocket_type2

Here is a manufacturing stamp that shows the city where the uniform was manufactured, in this case the City of Gukovo. The “r.” before the city name is the Russian abbreviation for city. This city name can help identify whether a post-Soviet uniform was actually manufactured in Russia.

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos 1856

This is a photo of the inside of a Soviet 6 pocket TTsKO uniform.
    You can see that there are drawstrings at the waist and the skirt of the jacket.
    Type I and Type II 4 pocket TTsKO’s do not have these drawstrings.
    If a 4 pocket uniform has drawstrings,then it is a modified 6 pocket uniform where the lower pockets have been removed.
    There are some of these modified 6 pockets floating around.

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Soviet_6_pocket

Last edited by escammo on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
    ОКП

Registration date : 2011-10-26
    Number of posts : 3

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Empty Re: Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos

Post by ОКП Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:47 pm

If I may,I would make another classification please:
    *Type 1: jacket with chest pockets,suspender slots,internal holster and sewn on shoulder boardsas illustrated.
    *Type 2:same as above but with button up shoulder loops instead of sewn on shoulder boards.
    *Type 3:same as typ 2 but without suspenders openings.
    *Type 4:jacket with 2 chest pockets and 2 waist pockets (principally used by naval infantry)as illustrated.
    Very Happy
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:22 am

I agree with the above, that would explain my oddball VDV 4-pocket uniform with buttoned epaulettes and suspender slots.
    shoru
    shoru
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2011-04-02
    Number of posts : 507

Post by shoru Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:01 am

Erick, this is a great guide with very good pictures, thank you!

One rarely sees such mint soviet TTsKO sets! Congratulations!

Also, I agree with ОКП about the 4 types, when I'm home I will check my uniforms for identification. Smile

Is there a chart about the different factories including their logos?
    I would like to know about this, as I need to identify some of my stamps.

Cheers,
    Kolja
    escammo
    escammo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by escammo Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:41 pm

I have a bunch of photos of uniform stamps that I can post. I wonder what the best way of organizing, identifying and posting them would be?
    shoru
    shoru
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by shoru Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:24 am

I guess something like a chart would hit it, where you can see the stamps and a little description.
    Of course we have to collect stamps and information first. Wink
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:35 am

ОКП wrote:If I may,I would make another classification please:
    *Type 1: jacket with chest pockets,suspender slots,internal holster and sewn on shoulder boardsas illustrated.
    *Type 2:same as above but with button up shoulder loops instead of sewn on shoulder boards.
    *Type 3:same as typ 2 but without suspenders openings.
    *Type 4:jacket with 2 chest pockets and 2 waist pockets (principally used by naval infantry)as illustrated.
    Very Happy

I'm trying to establish a chronology for these changes, but I have only anecdotal evidence (my own uniforms and date stamps from other collections) to go by.

The "Type 1" was of course the first issue TTsKO. Desmond states that it was accepted sometime in 1982 as a culmination of the efforts to devise a standardized camouflage field uniform known under the mysterious project "Butan", and first circulated in 1985. A unique design drawing heavily on the features of the new M88 khaki uniform (which Desmond refers to as the M81 for some reason). I'm not entirely clear on this but the 6-pocket naval infantry version must have been introduced around the same time and is directly based on the M88 style, but printed in the new camo fabric.

I have an example of the "Type 2" as per the above classification, 4-pocket shirt with button-down epaulets + suspender slots, dated 1989, so it appears the changes came very late in the life cycle of the uniform.

Soon after came the "Type 3" 4-pocket uniform which saw the suspender slots removed while retaining the button-down epaulets. This is where it gets murky but the earliest I've seen all seem to go back to 1990. The 6-pocket marines uniform did not undergo any major changes to my knowledge and has become the standard form for all future Russian and CIS uniforms.
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:56 pm

This is a great resource, but since the images originally used to illustrate these uniforms disappeared, I've gathered a few from my own collection.

Type I (4-pocket, 2 suspender slots on the front face):

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Type1o

Sewn-on epaulets:

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Type12

Stamp (1985 production date):

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Type13

Type II (4-pockets, notice the buttoned epaulets and suspender slots):

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Type2

Stamp (1989):

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Type21

Type III (4-pockets, buttoned epaulets but no suspenders; ignore the peculiar pink-brown colour):

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Type3o

Stamp (1992?):

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Type31
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks for posting the pics. However, I would caution about using terminology that is contrary to Desmond's standards. Can be quite confusing otherwise, even though his system isn't exactly ideal.

In his system Type I has suspender slots and sewn on epaulettes. Type II has no suspender slots and buttoned epaulettes. The Type I Naval version has 6 pockets, no suspender slots, no internal holster, and buttoned epaulettes.

What you called a Type II (4 pocket, epaulettes, suspender slots) is something I have not seen documented before. At least it's not in Desmond's book. To me, based on the year, I'd call this a "Type I Transitional" since its features are neatly between Type I and II. Definitely a sweet set to have in your collection.

Steve
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Yes, Desmond omits what I call the "Type II" from his book and I have no objection to calling it a transitional model either, as I have several times in the past.

What I'm not entirely clear on is the naval infantry 6-pocket version. I'm not sure why Desmond makes the distinction between Types I and II because in my opinion, he didn't really demonstrate convincingly that there were any differences between the two at all. I've been trying to get my hands on an early example to compare against; Desmond says they were issued as early as 1982, I've yet to see one for sale or otherwise.
    shoru
    shoru
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by shoru Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:54 am

I held a lot of TTsKO uniforms in my hands and none of them were dated ealier than 1985.

As I didn't see any picture of an uniform dated pre '85 I still think that's the first year these were issued.
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:43 am

A few photos of the first type in use, from Carey Schofield's book:

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Vdv3

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Vdv1

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Ttsko2
    shoru
    shoru
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by shoru Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:52 am

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing them! Smile
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:00 am

A few more:

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos 73239666

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos 82253951

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos 66330785

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos 75723117

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:58 am

This great thread got me looking into my TTsKO variants. I've got a mint 1989 Type 1 set and several color variations of Type 2 from 1991 and 1993 (can't read the date on the third set).

What's the deal with the 6 pocket Brown TTsKO set? I've had one since the mid 1990s (I'm guessing 1994??) that has only size and control numbers. I guess this was a commercial set? Dang. I noticed my "Moldavian" set also lacks the other marks. This set, unlike the other, is used and had metal badging on it at one point.

Steve
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:40 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:
    What's the deal with the 6 pocket Brown TTsKO set? I've had one since the mid 1990s (I'm guessing 1994??) that has only size and control numbers. I guess this was a commercial set? Dang. I noticed my "Moldavian" set also lacks the other marks. This set, unlike the other, is used and had metal badging on it at one point.

Which uniform are you referring to?
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:29 am

All brown TTsKO set in standard Soviet/Russian 6 pocket design. I got it around 1994. It has no military stamps on it. I'll try and take some pics.

Steve
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3395

Post by vonstuck Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:26 am

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos 100_2321

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos 100_2322

Beautiful colors but just commercial
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes, definitely commercial: no waist adjustment tabs, small, non-standard belt loops, different seat pocket design and the fabric looks Ukrainian.

A few more reference images from the early 1990s:

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Vdv2

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Vdv4

VDV cadet:

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Vdvcadet

koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:01 pm

Paratroopers wearing the elusive VDV 4-pocket PV uniform:

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Vdv6

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Vdv3i

koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Soviet 4 Pocket TTsKO Type I Uniform Identification – with photos Vdv9
    shoru
    shoru
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by shoru Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:04 pm

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:31 pm