IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Philip
Duncan McLain
Gulf91
Gemini
parafal
lammasulyon
Camo_fiend
Easy Gee
12 posters

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War.

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Empty Re: British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War.

Post by Easy Gee Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Wow nice sparse CBA Duncan, I can honestly say I have never seen one in sparse pattern. Cool Cool

And again to my knowledge sparse was a first pattern MoD DDPM, in GW1, quickly superceded by common or garden DDPM. Wink
    Duncan McLain
    Duncan McLain
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-09-13
    Number of posts : 201

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Empty Re: British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War.

Post by Duncan McLain Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks for recognition Mate Smile

I thinking, I have 2-3 this covers to sale or change for others british things Very Happy

If You want this stuff of course...

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:16 pm

Duncan McLain wrote:Thanks for recognition Mate Smile

I thinking, I have 2-3 this covers to sale or change for others british things Very Happy

If You want this stuff of course...

Depending on value or what you need in a trade i could possibly be interested in one Cool
    Duncan McLain
    Duncan McLain
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-09-13
    Number of posts : 201

Post by Duncan McLain Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Easy Smile

First I must ask my people from reeacting group who have this stuff about sale. A thinking 2-3 ithem i can hunting for You and Easy Gee. Smile If I get it, i send private messange for You with full informations.
    I'm collector and I understand others collectors when they are discovery new rare stuff Smile
    Price have a secondary importance Smile
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Duncan McLain wrote:Easy Smile

First I must ask my people from reeacting group who have this stuff about sale. A thinking 2-3 ithem i can hunting for You and Easy Gee. Smile If I get it, i send private messange for You with full informations.
    I'm collector and I understand others collectors when they are discovery new rare stuff Smile
    Price have a secondary importance Smile

No probs,let me know when you decide.

Thanks.
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 812

Post by bravo_2_zero Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Gulf91 wrote:As i never knew about this sparse stuff until now-was it an official variation in colour/design or just a manufacturers print variation?

They were made by supercraft as the 1st batch run, jacket,trousers and armour cover and I have seen 1 tropical boonie in it, this as in 1993 in Doncaster in a surplus store in the market.

They were issued mix and match not as full sparse or full later print, you got given a set of whatever. I have seen more trousers in use in period photos but more jackets in the surplus chain, which would explain the shortage of trousers.

My stuff came from a vet on a flea market in 1992 ( RAF hemswell , a WW2 period bomber base) for a whole £5 which was a lot back then. I was tempted as a teen to choc chip them with magic markers as US army kit was super rare then, I'm glad I didn't.
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:55 pm

Here are my stuff but photos are missing.

All that are left are a pair of sparse shorts !! I dare anyone to find another pair like this !!! Totally one off issue bit of kit with shiny Canadian buttons.

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t658-prototype-2-color-desert-dpm-shortsshirtpants-smock
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:12 am

Some recent additions to my collection ,first up a sparse set, these have a proven provenance, plus the hat is original to this set/previous owner.

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00610British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00410British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00510

Next, a jacket I bought from a carboot sale last weekend for £1.00, there is a feint wash out of the "brushstrokes" which was very obvious when the jacket was washed,other than that is was a bargain!

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00710

Front of fabric

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00910

Rear of fabric

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00810
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:25 am

Easy Gee wrote:Some recent additions to my collection ,first up a sparse set, these have a proven provenance, plus the hat is original to this set/previous owner.

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00610British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00410British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00510

Next, a jacket I bought from a carboot sale last weekend for £1.00, there is a feint wash out of the "brushstrokes" which was very obvious when the jacket was washed,other than that is was a bargain!

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00710

Front of fabric

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00910

Rear of fabric

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 00810
    Fantastic these.

More the 4 part 2 colour get washed more you start to see the ghosting of brown/brown sand/sand splits. I have a set or at least a jacket somewhere unwashed direct from the vet, well he was my sgt major. He came out of his office one day and threw me something which turned out to be his war kit.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:06 am

"Fantastic these.

More the 4 part 2 colour get washed more you start to see the ghosting of brown/brown sand/sand splits. I have a set or at least a jacket somewhere unwashed direct from the vet, well he was my sgt major. He came out of his office one day and threw me something which turned out to be his war kit."

Many thanks for looking and the compliments B20, I had never took much notice of the fading , but as this one was VERY "musky" it needed a wash ,on the line I noticed the fade out.I got a few bit's and bob's from the fella, including a jungle jacket worn in the Gulf , etc, I will try and post it all up one day.

Great story, and way of sourcing the war kit too.

Regards Very Happy
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:15 am

Easy Gee wrote:"Fantastic these.

More the 4 part 2 colour get washed more you start to see the ghosting of brown/brown sand/sand splits. I have a set or at least a jacket somewhere unwashed direct from the vet, well he was my sgt major. He came out of his office one day and threw me something which turned out to be his war kit."

Many thanks for looking and the compliments B20, I had never took much notice of the fading , but as this one was VERY "musky" it needed a wash ,on the line I noticed the fade out.I got a few bit's and bob's from the fella, including a jungle jacket worn in the Gulf , etc, I will try and post it all up one day.

Great story, and way of sourcing the war kit too.

Regards Very Happy
    I recently picked up some genuine GW1 boots absolute mint just storage marks and in size 9. If your now hunting first issue deserts it is a bit hard as there is so much modern to sort through.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:25 pm

"I recently picked up some genuine GW1 boots absolute mint just storage marks and in size 9. If your now hunting first issue deserts it is a bit hard as there is so much modern to sort through"

Ah yes the boots, great classic design, I managed to pick up a pair in my size a few years back from ebay.

And I could not agree more with your comment about all the S95 stuff, the market is totally awash with the stuff, in fact I get bored looking at it all on ebay. I must spend hours trawling through the pages and pages of DDPM,trying to find the odd GW 1 item!!!

Hopefully between us we will find those gems amongst the S95 stuff;) 
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:08 pm

I have a desert DPM jacket on route NOBODY has Laughing 

The GW1 camo print works like this.

DPM    -    DESERT

Brown - brown
    Black. -  brown
    Green. -  tan
    Mustard - tan

Now my new deserts have green and black in DPM printed brown and brown and mustard printed tan !!!!!

One of a kind and can't wait to see in real life
    British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 9e3798ce40e51aac0f25ca0f773a81e0
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:35 am

Love it mate, really unusual print ,I look forward to seeing more detailed pics when you can post them up,nice one mate Cool 
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Got to say Im afraid that to me DPM is DPM is DPM regardless,yes can tell the difference between Sparse and "Normal" desert but what should I be looking at regarding that shirt?

Sorry if its a dumb question:oops: 
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Dale
    Registration date : 2009-11-22
    Number of posts : 345

Post by Mk1rceme Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Are the heavyweight material DDPM shirts getting scarce? I found a few here in Canada recently.
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Gulf91 wrote:Got to say Im afraid that to me DPM is DPM is DPM regardless,yes can tell the difference between Sparse and "Normal" desert but what should I be looking at regarding that shirt?

Sorry if its a dumb question:oops: 
    Hey it's no worries

When Britain first used the non sparse deserts they simply took the 4 part woodland print screens and put sand and brown ink the 4 screens to form 2 colour print.

The brown and black screens of the woodland colours are brown in desert and the green and mustard in woodland would be printed desert pink.

Now this jacket doesn't work like that, the manufacturer or the designer has used different screens to put the ink through. The desert pink is made up from the brown and mustard screens in woodland and the brown is made from green and black screens found in woodland. This gives this jacket a whole brand new unseen print, It doesn't look British at all.

When it arrives I'll take a side by side back shot showing the print we know and love at the side of this unknown unseen print.
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Mk1rceme Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:55 pm

CBA with sparse camo that I found locally. Neat pattern.

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0012

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0013

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0014

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0015
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Mk1rceme wrote:CBA with sparse camo that I found locally. Neat pattern.

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0012

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0013

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0014

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0015
    That's ghost sparse and only ever seen on frag vests. The cloth weight seems more man made contents and mirrors the jungle tropical suits found in the 80's. These are getting rare now and its a shame as it's such a fantastic eye candy camo pattern. I have a few of these myself but in used battlefield condition but yours is unissued and looks fantastic. I kinda wanting to scour the web now looking for another like this cyclops 
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Mk1rceme Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Ghost sparse...good to know. I wasn't sure what it was when I got it. I have been buying box lots from a local private collector of GW1 & 2 combat gear. He always has top notch stuff. Lately I got a lot of British kit from him. Uniforms, vests, patches, etc. I collect mainly Canadian and US militaria so I am out of the loop when it comes to British kit...but I'm learning.

Last edited by Mk1rceme on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Fantastic CBA Mk1rceme, would love one of these in my GW1 collection...outstanding!!!
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Mk1rceme wrote:Ghost sparse...good to know. I wasn't sure what it was when I got it. I have been buying box lots from a local private collector of GW1 & 2 combat gear. He always has top notch stuff. Lately I got a lot of British kit from him. Uniforms, vests, patches, etc. I collect mainly Canadian and US militaria so I am out of the loop when it comes to British kit...but I'm learning.
    Yes this is ghost sparse because it features a 3rd colour where the woodland mustard and green screens overlapp giving ghost outlines. These ghost outlines are in all frag vests in sparse camo and very early 2 colour deserts.

Here are a pair of what is believed to be trial shorts I own in ghost sparse.

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 FB65C53D-D8BC-451A-A5EE-E44E284054F9-26106-00001093212A0924
    British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 39953bb5f5ccc63d4359fdf196e97aab
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Mk1rceme Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:08 pm

I had a look see through the closet and found four GW1 jackets that I got from my source. I was going to photograph them separately but decided on the group to show color difference. Sorry for the crappy pictures.

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0110

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0111

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0112

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0113

Labels in order - Left to right
    British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0114

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0115

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0116

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0117
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:13 pm

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 2E9C8837-9C38-45E2-879E-44D3FBDD27DD-26106-000010931C58F80F

The wind proof smock is the holy grail for any GW1 DPM collector.

I remember in 1994 when I went to cattrick garrison I went to john bulls and he had loads and loads on a rail. He was selling about 2-3 sparse and 30 plus regular desert stuff, I was tempted to buy one.
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Mk1rceme wrote:I had a look see through the closet and found four GW1 jackets that I got from my source. I was going to photograph them separately but decided on the group to show color difference. Sorry for the crappy pictures.

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0110

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0111

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0112

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0113

Labels in order - Left to right
    British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0114

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0115

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0116

British Jacket lightweight-Gulf War. - Page 2 Pict0117
    The pale ones are GW1 the darker ones are later , I'd say very late 90's. The darker ones use the modified made for desert only DPM print and not a direct woodland DPM clone.

I have a easy picture to show the differences.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:39 pm