IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Please identify regiment / unit and/or rank. Lithuanian army? c1939.

stevecleary

Registration date : 2011-08-03
    Number of posts : 3

Please identify regiment / unit and/or rank. Lithuanian army? c1939. Empty Please identify regiment / unit and/or rank. Lithuanian army? c1939.

Post by stevecleary Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:08 am

I am looking for someone who might be able to identify the unit, insignia or even rank of the soldier attached.
    The person concerned was my father-in-law (b circa 1916- d 1991).
    I know the picture would have been taken in the late 1930's, possibly in Kaunas, where he lived at the time.
    Please identify regiment / unit and/or rank. Lithuanian army? c1939. Xsteve11
    Thanks
    Steve Cleary
    vicka1971
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-05-02
    Number of posts : 674

Please identify regiment / unit and/or rank. Lithuanian army? c1939. Empty Re: Please identify regiment / unit and/or rank. Lithuanian army? c1939.

Post by vicka1971 Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:39 am

Hey Steve

Could you give me a better photo of the soldier's left shoulder board (is that a letter or a number on his left shoulder?). And if you don't mind, I will show this photo to my lithuanian friends,ok? Also do you have any info on where this soldier served( town).

p.s the rank is j.sgt.

Sincerely,

Vitalis
    stevecleary

Please identify regiment / unit and/or rank. Lithuanian army? c1939. Empty Re: Please identify regiment / unit and/or rank. Lithuanian army? c1939.

Post by stevecleary Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks Vitalis.
    I'm sorry I don't have access to a better photo at the moment, as the photo concerned is in Poland. I have asked family there to send me a better copy if possible. I certainly don't mind you asking your Lithuanian friends - the more information, the better.
    My father-in-law was born in Jieznas and lived in Kaunas for some time before 1940 - some of his family still live there, so it is likely he would have served in either of these areas, although we have no idea what he would have done.
    The family is Polish rather than Lithuanian in case this impacts in any way on where he would have likely been.
    I do know that he was a very competent canoeist and the story goes that he participated in some event as part of a national team for this.
    Do you know if there is some kind of service record archive in Lithuania which might have details?
    I presume a j.sgt is some kind of junior NCO?
    Best wishes
    Steve
    vicka1971
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-05-02
    Number of posts : 674

Post by vicka1971 Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 pm

Hey Steve

Could you tell me the soldiers name and last name(surname)please. It will be much easier to get more info. Steve, we are still working on your guy. Sincerely, Vitalis
    stevecleary

Post by stevecleary Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:36 am

Hi Vitalis
    I've sent you a PM on this.
    Best wishes
    Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:18 am