IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Albano
Gubbio
koalorka
helm40
Camo_fiend
filupe
10 posters

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars

Albano
    Albano
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-02
    Number of posts : 236

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 Empty Re: Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars

Post by Albano Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi Shotgee

Back from vacations with news Smile

Numbered Mocidade Portuguesa parawings denotes to member classification as he progress on qualification to obtain the A class wing. The sequence is 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade.

Hope that be of some help.

Best regards

Shotgee
    Shotgee
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-06-26
    Number of posts : 59

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 Empty Re: Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars

Post by Shotgee Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi Albano,

Thanks you, sir. Info on MP brevets is difficult to find so that helps me a lot.

Best...

Shotgee

koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:44 am

Portuguese Marine, Angola, 1975:

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 Marinesp
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:39 pm

What are those boots he is wearing ?

Albano
    Albano
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Albano Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:20 am

Those boots are special design leather combat boots for Fuzileiros (Marines). They have no laces and are closed sideways with two straps and buckles each. They are supposed to be demi-waterproof Rolling Eyes . I suppose that what catch your attention was the white on it, right!? Those are the socks! wich sometimes they roll them out. SF things if you catch my drift Wink

Best regards

filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:53 am

Love the look!
    Albano
    Albano
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Albano Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Some more adenda on the mather:

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 AD7_DA44
    The third one from back to front as the socks rolled out

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 MFA19
    Fourth and sixth from left have also rolled out socks

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 Fuzileiro-naval-
    The design on the boots didn't changed much from colonial/independance wars. These are the current model.

Best regards

Shotgee
    Shotgee
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-06-26
    Number of posts : 59

Post by Shotgee Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Great photos. Those boots look very nice. I like them. Protects and supports lower legs & ankles. That is what I prefer. Seems also that made of thick good leather. What comes to all-round boots, I'm not a big fan of so called 'goretex-hi-tech'- wonders, with all respect. Leather is leather!
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:05 pm

One curious item I found a while ago, which I've struggled to classify, these trousers in the land forces m/963 lizard pattern, but manufactured in the navy style, in a nice heavy fabric and with numerous metal snaps etc. and made by the supplier in Cordoaria.

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 Picture1375

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 Picture1379o

Any ideas?

Viriathus
    Viriathus

Registration date : 2019-08-31
    Number of posts : 2

Post by Viriathus Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi Filupe!

You have there some great badges!

I like the crimson beret, but I tend to think it's from the "Commandos" Unit. I need one for my collection, do you consider selling it?

Thanks and all the best!

filupe wrote:Just in ... Portuguese airborne beret.  During the colonial wars the paratroopers wore a green beret and they went to maroon sometime after.

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 IMG_5576

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 IMG_5577

Also, update on the 'Mozambique/Safrique' badge in the first post of this thread - this belonged to a civilian safari company operating in Mozambique prior to the Portuguese pull-out.
    Viriathus
    Viriathus

Registration date : 2019-08-31
    Number of posts : 2

Post by Viriathus Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi again Filupe,

The Mozambique badge is not a military issue but it is still in use by the personnel of a private safari company named "Safrique", from the province of Sofala...

All the best!

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 Logo-110

filupe wrote:Some of my Portuguese insignia, some are newer than the colonial conflicts but a fair majority I think would be from that era ...

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 IMG_4698

I have a fair idea of the ID of most of the badges thanks to the book, 'Portuguese Elite Unit Insignia 1951 - Present'  by Harry Pugh & Robert Bragg.  The only exception is the 'Mozambique-SAfrique' one - I'd love to know the story behind this one!

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 IMG_4700

Close-up of the mysterious 'South African' badge:

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 IMG_4703

I bought these unidentified magazine pouches off the net some years ago.  They were not specifically described as 'Portuguese' but I thought they looked close enough that they .. just .. might .. be .....?  

Can anyone here confirm or deny that assumption??

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 Portuguesepouches

Postscipt: Since been identified on another forum as being Dutch.

My Portuguese uniform pieces:

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 100_3517

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 100_3509

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 100_3513

Portuguese militaria from the African Colonial Wars - Page 2 100_3504-1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:41 am