IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS

bond007a1
    bond007a1
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Steven
    Registration date : 2009-02-12
    Number of posts : 2099

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Empty QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS

Post by bond007a1 Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:19 pm

OK....gang...I have got an interesting question....and I think I speak for at least a few of us when I ask this. I want to hear some creative ideas for people like me who's collection (at least vast majority of it) is crammed into a small area....and there is NOT enough space to spread out the goods similar to the way Mike has his stuff. So what is the best ways to...I don't know...store it or display it so you can find stuff...I just want to hear EVERYONE's opinions on this...I know several of us talk about how space is limited...so what can be done for this situation?????

Steven

bond007a1
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Empty Re: QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS

Post by bond007a1 Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:22 pm

here are a couple of refresher pics of my crammed collection.....

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Collection13

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Collection2

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Collection3

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS DCU1

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Collection10

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Collection11

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Collection12

bond007a1
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Empty Re: QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS

Post by bond007a1 Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:23 pm

a few more

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Collection6

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Collection7

QUESTION ABOUT storage & displays in SMALL AREAS Collection9

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6909

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:31 am

Personally, I'm the type that if I can't easily see my stuff then I have too much stuff. If I have too much stuff than that means I shouldn't be getting any more stuff. Therefore, I have an incentive to figure out how to keep my stuff displayable Wink

Keep in mind that in the end it all comes down to cubic space consumed. Hanging or stacked, a lot of stuff takes up a lot of space. At some point individualized containers cease to be viable (IMHO) because the volume of the containers themselves starts to add up.

Here's a test you can do to see what hanging stuff would look like for you... get a tapemeasure Smile Hopefully you'll find that it's at least 7' (84") high. Based on your pictures I'd say you might just make it Very Happy Then find the longest uninterrupted wall without anything, like pipes or what not, within 31" of it. Measure how long the wall is.

For the sake of argument, let's say you have a 7' high ceiling with a 10' wall that can be clear out to 31". Subtract 6" of the length to account for three supports by 2x4s. That gives you a total set of dimensions as follows:

Height = 84"
    Depth = 31"
    Length = 114"

You can fit roughly 1 normal sized uniform per linear inch. In the assumed setup stated above, there's enough room for two rows of uniforms. That means you can store a total of (roughly) 228 uniforms hanging up with the assumed measurements. If you have 228 uniforms in those bins, IMHO you're better off making racks and opening up the floors space. Plus, if you have 8' of ceiling space then you can still have about a foot of space to stick stuff either under (easiest) or over (with a shelf) the racks. If those bins you have are about the size I think they are, you could probably fit another 8 bins tucked under or on top.

Now, how do you get that space? Well, it's all about creative space management and (potentially) making some sacrifices. My huge triple decker space required me to remove a large amount of book cases. Where did the books go, you might ask? For the most part I'm preparing to purge them. I don't really need the majority of the books I have so I'm going to part with them in order to have the space for something I do "need" Smile

Just keep in mind that wall space is the best space to use. Therefore, anything which really doesn't need to be taking up a wall shouldn't be. That's advice I'd give people for any room in the house.

Measure things up and see what you make of it. I think you'll be surprised how much space those plastic bins are consuming.

Steve
    bond007a1
    bond007a1
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by bond007a1 Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:40 pm

ok....Steve...EXCELLENT advice as always....right now I have a 6 foot section of wall that I am going to turn into a hanging storage.....I know it is small but I should be able to get 120 or so sets on a 2 tier system plus area at the top for some helmets...hopefully.....I will have to wait & see...but that is my plans as each storage drawer/bin hold basically 2 uniforms....now the next is how to arrange the uniforms after I build it.....any ideas????? alphabetical...???

Steven

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6909

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:01 pm

Good deal Smile

I arrange my stuff by country, generally in alphabetical order. It's not going so well right now because I got part way through a reorg and most of the stuff is a jumble. That isn't a good plan, BTW!

Since you have limited space I'd recommend hanging things grouped by country that will fit the space. That way you don't have orphans for a particular nation stuck in bins. For example, in one hanging area I have Belgium, France, both Germanys, and Hungary. Just BARELY fit. If I expand any of them I'll bump one country and put in a smaller one so the racks are still full, but contiguous.

I'll post some construction tips with pictures tonight or tomorrow. I've learned a few things which save on construction time and materials.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:22 am