IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
downboy
Mk1rceme
nkomo
panzerwerk
8 posters

Expensive !!!!

panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Expensive !!!! Empty Expensive !!!!

Post by panzerwerk Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Anyone notice how the prices of things are just going up and up , I thought WWII stuff was getting ridicules, Vietnam as well , but the modern stuff is going for some very stupid prices !!!
    Might have to find a new hobby soon !
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

Expensive !!!! Empty Re: Expensive !!!!

Post by nkomo Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Yep. I have noticed the same as well. I am finding it hard to source any newer modern items on Ebay for a decent price. I still am finding reasonably priced items locally, but with them, it is hit and miss.

Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:52 pm

I was looking at the ebay thread and looking at the final prices for some of these more modern items and I was truly floored !!!! CRAZY
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Dale
    Registration date : 2009-11-22
    Number of posts : 345

Post by Mk1rceme Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:57 pm

I have paid stupid money for kit from Canadian Afghan vets...as long as the items were used in theater. The ebay knockoffs being sold at high prices are junk in my opinion.
    downboy
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Nes
    Registration date : 2010-05-23
    Number of posts : 162

Post by downboy Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Things have gone global whereas before you compete with "local" collectors now just about anyone with online capacity competes with you for an item.But it really is the moneyed airsoft community that has pushed the modern stuff prices bonkers.In the end everything just becomes a commodity more than historical artifacts mates.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6913

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Do you think $175 for a Blumentarn hood (sold yesterday) is too much? Boy, I think that's a bargain. I am just looking for someone who has 10 so I can buy them all up while they are still cheap.

I kid, of course. Er... about me thinking the price is cheap, not kidding that someone actually paid $175 for a hood. That, sadly, is true.

From what I can tell the rare stuff is going for more money now than ever. But everything else is going for MUCH less than even a year ago. I think people are holding off on buying common stuff and instead concentrating on things they think are only going ton continue to rise in value.

Also, there's more good stuff on eBay now than ever before. Lots of people are looking to make some money off of spares, attic finds, etc. That's not good for common stuff.

Steve

koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:12 pm

There are still some deals to be had on eBay, but mostly as a result of listing errors or tedious searches. I got a fully patched Rhodesian shirt for $40 because the seller had it listed as "Rodisian" phonetic spelling. My Portuguese marines lizard smock was $35 because I happened to do a search 1 minute after the seller had it listed. Pure luck.
    Cascade

Registration date : 2011-11-19
    Number of posts : 6

Post by Cascade Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:54 am

You think its bad online?

The other day I saw 2nd hand M65 jackets, with quite a bit of wear- $100 (a worn liner was +$25). Some digital camo BDU shirt had a sitcker price of $550.

Sorry, I cant remember what exact shirt/camo it was, but if anybody cares I can find out.
    jimmyduncan23
    jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1482

Post by jimmyduncan23 Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm

well ill add some life to this discusion,yes some thing are expensive but you just have to keep looking recently i picked up the luxembourg desert set for 10 euros plus some postage also a brand new estonian desert digital pants for $35 labled as dutch special forces digital camo and just picked up the red opfor shirt for $70, selling for alot more than that seen sets go for 500 plus
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:21 pm

There's always deals to be had, but for sure the prices for unusual/old things has gone way up. The common stuff has also gone way down in value. Far too many buyers and sellers have noticed this trend for it to be imaginary. It's actually a common phenomenon in the art world during bad economic times, so it's probably being driven by the same sort of thinking.

Steve
    jimmyduncan23
    jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1482

Post by jimmyduncan23 Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:04 am

i dont doubt that for a minute also you have to think about the us dollar weakening because i know the us $ used to be worth $1.30 australian now it is us on top so alot of australian are buying stuff from the states and in us dollars because it is cheaper that way!
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Definitely the weak USD has increased interest in prices on US eBay. More than 1/2 of my buyers on eBay are non-US based.

However, that's not the only thing going on. I do a lot of purchases on non-US eBay sites and the trend is the same there as well. For example, a couple of years ago you could get a hard-to-find early 1950s BW dress uniform jacket for EUR 80 or so. They now go for a minimum of EUR 140, sometimes multiple hundreds. There was a jacket and trousers (even rarer) set that went for EUR 1600+. These prices are unheard of amongst BW collectors, and that is just but one example.

The volatility is something I see as a seller. Stuff will see for $50 one week and then not sell at all for $20 the following week. Until recently I didn't have that sort of thing happen to my items on a regular basis. Now, it's pretty normal. That and the common stuff often won't sell even at ridiculously low prices.

Seve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:26 pm