IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
panzerwerk
OneEightSeven
6 posters

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it?

OneEightSeven
    OneEightSeven

Registration date : 2012-01-27
    Number of posts : 7

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it? Empty Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it?

Post by OneEightSeven Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:36 am

I recently picked up this helmet from an eBay dealer who brought it at an estate sale. The seller told me he brought the helmet from the vets daughter and that her dad had brought it home from Vietnam. He didn't get any other info Sad The name "Cummings" is written on the band. The steal shell and liner are WWII vintage. On the left side there's what I think is some blood splatter on it? It's not rust bleed through. Hopfully my photobucket img's load, and I am doing this correctly.

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it? PC040535

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it? PC040536

Last edited by OneEightSeven on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    OneEightSeven
    OneEightSeven

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it? Empty Re: Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it?

Post by OneEightSeven Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:39 am

The side with blood (??)

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it? PC040539

Close up

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it? PC040541

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it? Helmet
    OneEightSeven
    OneEightSeven

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it? Empty Re: Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it?

Post by OneEightSeven Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:41 am

The right hand side has slight rusting

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it? PC040532

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it? PC040544

and the back

Vietnam M1 Helmet, with blood splatter on it? PC040543
    OneEightSeven
    OneEightSeven

Post by OneEightSeven Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:39 pm

No one?
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:28 pm

There is only one way to know for sure , there are forensic kits for testing of blood , or sample for DNA testing , I have seen on TV similar things where they thought they had blood on clothing items and it turned out not to be , you cant tell just by looking at it , it could be taco bell hot sauce for all I know ....
    Albano
    Albano
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-02
    Number of posts : 236

Post by Albano Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:51 pm

panzerwerk wrote:There is only one way to know for sure , there are forensic kits for testing of blood , or sample for DNA testing , I have seen on TV similar things where they thought they had blood on clothing items and it turned out not to be , you cant tell just by looking at it , it could be taco bell hot sauce for all I know ....

Or splashes of water that passed through some metal that was oxidated. I've seen that happen.

Best regards

OneEightSeven
    OneEightSeven

Post by OneEightSeven Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:18 pm

Looking at it again, it's definitely taco bell hot sauce.
    Vintagebob

Registration date : 2013-10-23
    Number of posts : 5

Post by Vintagebob Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Tabasco sauce too! Laughing 
    filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:04 pm

panzerwerk wrote:There is only one way to know for sure , there are forensic kits for testing of blood , or sample for DNA testing , I have seen on TV similar things where they thought they had blood on clothing items and it turned out not to be ,
    The stuff the CSI type shows use is called 'Luminol' - reacts with the iron in blood and glows. Apparently there are ways of making it yourself but not recommended.
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Dale
    Registration date : 2009-11-22
    Number of posts : 345

Post by Mk1rceme Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Blood stains tend to turn black over time

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:28 pm