IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Another UNIDENTIFIED Non Issue Desert DPM SAS Smock with US Insignia???

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Another UNIDENTIFIED Non Issue Desert DPM SAS Smock with US Insignia??? Empty Another UNIDENTIFIED Non Issue Desert DPM SAS Smock with US Insignia???

Post by Gulf91 Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:42 am

A bit bizarre this one,all 3 patches machine stitched.

Any ideas what the shoulder patches are?

This smock unlike the other is made from the correct windproof type material.

Another UNIDENTIFIED Non Issue Desert DPM SAS Smock with US Insignia??? C7446bb4

Another UNIDENTIFIED Non Issue Desert DPM SAS Smock with US Insignia??? 8024bf99

Another UNIDENTIFIED Non Issue Desert DPM SAS Smock with US Insignia??? 5652a96b

Another UNIDENTIFIED Non Issue Desert DPM SAS Smock with US Insignia??? Bf723324

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Another UNIDENTIFIED Non Issue Desert DPM SAS Smock with US Insignia??? Empty Re: Another UNIDENTIFIED Non Issue Desert DPM SAS Smock with US Insignia???

Post by Easy Gee Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Ah,I see you won this one, I was going to bid ,but got confused by the US patches,and the look of the material.

Looks very similar to a smock I have which is commercial,apart from the label.

Real mystery this one, to my knowledge US troops have never worn DDPM?????

Like it nevertheless Wink
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Another UNIDENTIFIED Non Issue Desert DPM SAS Smock with US Insignia??? Empty Re: Another UNIDENTIFIED Non Issue Desert DPM SAS Smock with US Insignia???

Post by Gulf91 Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Ah,I see you won this one, I was going to bid ,but got confused by the US patches,and the look of the material.

Looks very similar to a smock I have which is commercial,apart from the label.

Real mystery this one, to my knowledge US troops have never worn DDPM?????

Like it nevertheless Wink

Thats the trouble with me is that i love the quirky,different items Smile Smile

Beats the hell out of me why the US insignia,maybe an Airsofter or something but all nicely machine sewn on.

In my hopes maybe a US GI attached/seconded to the British Army but probably not Wink
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm sure it is an Airsofter, or similar. Service personnel of the US armed forces do not wear uniforms of other nations. The one tiny exception can be Special Forces. Even then they usually wear something commercial, not standard kit of another nation.

The badges are close to the one worn by 201st Battlefield Surveillance Brigade, but it isn't that one for sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/201st_Battlefield_Surveillance_Brigade

Steve
    Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 3117

Post by Philip Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:20 pm

I only know 2 pictures where US troops wear DPM (woodland)
    1. Air Force personnel in the UK (80s)
    2. Army (?) with chemical suits (Desert Storm)

I think your smock is a put-together.

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:39 am

Philip wrote:I only know 2 pictures where US troops wear DPM (woodland)

Odd! Surely not on a large scale. I wonder what the reason was for "cross dressing" like that. Sometimes it was done in Germany to hide US involvement in training exercises, but even then it seems that was a bit rare.

Now this is something I can understand since having a chemical suit is more important than having the correct chemical suit. I'm surprised though because I would have guess the US had more of these things ready to go to the field than the Brits did. Could be US personnel attached to a British supplied formation. There's all kinds of logistics headaches associated with anything not on the soldier's back when there's cross attachments.

When it looks like, quacks like, and waddles like a duck... it's probably not a puma Smile

Steve
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Philip wrote:I only know 2 pictures where US troops wear DPM (woodland)

Definetely the USMC in Desert Storm wore Temperate DPM No1 MK4 NBC suits!
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:54 pm

Oh, the poor Marines... they used to have such a bunch of hand-me-downs and "we found this at the back of the 1950s depot" approach before the Navy figured out they shouldn't be so f'n cheap with the Marine budget. Not that it bothered the Marines at all. They just need a rifle and a K-Bar, the rest is just extra Very Happy

Steve
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:09 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Oh, the poor Marines... they used to have such a bunch of hand-me-downs and "we found this at the back of the 1950s depot" approach before the Navy figured out they shouldn't be so f'n cheap with the Marine budget. Not that it bothered the Marines at all. They just need a rifle and a K-Bar, the rest is just extra Very Happy

Steve

Sounds all to familiar Steve, I must say though the marines looked pretty good in the ref pics, wearing Brit NBC whist storming some bunkers..Semper Fi indeed Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:17 pm