Greek or Commercial ???

    Share

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Greek or Commercial ???

    Post by Easy Gee on Mon May 07, 2012 7:38 am

    Guys, is this Greek or a commercial "Fishing Hat".The guy I got it off said he got it from Cyprus, years ago on holiday.

    The Pattern looks sort of Greek to me, it's fairly faded, and has got the remains of a white cotton label, probably not that exciting, but it would be nice to have your opinions nevertheless.

    Thanks for looking Wink




    vonstuck
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Location : FRANCE
    Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 2473

    Re: Greek or Commercial ???

    Post by vonstuck on Tue May 08, 2012 2:13 pm

    Or Singapore
    Gilles

    http://vonstuckcamouflage.free.fr/singapore.php


    drmatz
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Name : danilo matz
    Age : 39
    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2069

    Re: Greek or Commercial ???

    Post by drmatz on Tue May 08, 2012 3:15 pm

    well if he got it in Cyprus.... i would say is Cypriot Smile - looks like their old vertical lizard pattern, same as the singaporean pattern... don't think is greek thou.



    _________________
    dmatz


    http://picasaweb.google.com/danilomatz

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: Greek or Commercial ???

    Post by Easy Gee on Tue May 08, 2012 4:24 pm

    vonstuck wrote:Or Singapore
    Gilles

    http://vonstuckcamouflage.free.fr/singapore.php



    Many thanks gilles, I will explore this idea indepth Very Happy

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: Greek or Commercial ???

    Post by Easy Gee on Tue May 08, 2012 4:28 pm

    drmatz wrote:well if he got it in Cyprus.... i would say is Cypriot Smile - looks like their old vertical lizard pattern, same as the singaporean pattern... don't think is greek thou.



    Yeah, thinking about it now, my opening statement of bought in Cyprus but might be Greek, sounds a little dumb now, but there are Greek Cypriots ?? Embarassed Laughing

    The reason I thought Greek was purely on the hat's pattern as it was the closest I could recognise, but as before I will look into this Singoporean aspect.

    Many thanks again Mate, I really appreciate your input Very Happy

    drmatz
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Name : danilo matz
    Age : 39
    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2069

    Re: Greek or Commercial ???

    Post by drmatz on Tue May 08, 2012 4:43 pm

    hi gary, yes there's both greek and turkish cypriots, this pattern is very similar to the singaporean pattern (i believe they might be the same) - it was issued to cyprus (commandos??) in the 70's and 80's (i've seeing some pics of it and the borsarello book has a sample of the same pattern). Very nice find.

    cheers


    _________________
    dmatz


    http://picasaweb.google.com/danilomatz

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: Greek or Commercial ???

    Post by Easy Gee on Tue May 08, 2012 4:52 pm

    drmatz wrote:hi gary, yes there's both greek and turkish cypriots, this pattern is very similar to the singaporean pattern (i believe they might be the same) - it was issued to cyprus (commandos??) in the 70's and 80's (i've seeing some pics of it and the borsarello book has a sample of the same pattern). Very nice find.

    cheers


    Cool thanks danillo, I had no idea about the Singapore / Cyprus connection, excellent information,I do hope this turns out to the case, as I only paid 50p for it Very Happy

    bravo_2_zero
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Location : England
    Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 781

    Re: Greek or Commercial ???

    Post by bravo_2_zero on Sat May 12, 2012 6:46 pm

    Copy something or other from the very early 90's. You could find this hat at any seaside novelty crap selling shop or surplus stall selling fake gear.

    I bought one from a market in Lincolnshire on route to the seaside.

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: Greek or Commercial ???

    Post by Easy Gee on Fri May 18, 2012 2:39 pm

    bravo_2_zero wrote:Copy something or other from the very early 90's. You could find this hat at any seaside novelty crap selling shop or surplus stall selling fake gear.

    I bought one from a market in Lincolnshire on route to the seaside.

    Good comment, and nicely presented, there must be a seaside shop like your Lincolnshire one but in Cyprus.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Greek or Commercial ???

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:05 pm


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:05 pm