IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
nkomo
misanthropic_gods
fanxiaojun
ADMIN
8 posters

Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo)

ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-02-12
    Number of posts : 247

Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Empty Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo)

Post by ADMIN Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:57 am

These pictures came from a friend's collection and I am using them here to show the differences between the two types of Mobutu uniforms. You may be asking youself what a Mobutu uniform is? Well...they were a type of uniform used by the Soviet Spetsnaz (Special Forces) from the late 1970's up until 1990's. These uniforms are highly specialized and are EXTREMELY rare to find. Most of these uniforms were used during the Soviet-Afghanistan War, but there is credible evidence that they used these uniforms in other areas as well (Africa). They are supposedly named after an assassination of Mobutu in Africa. What I don't understand, Mobuto was the leader of Zaire and was never assassinated by Soviet Spetsnaz or KGB Alfa teams. He died of prostate cancer. These uniforms are shrouded in mystery, as is much of the history of the Soviet Spetsnaz and KGB.
    The jacket on the left with exposed buttons is of the early type. The jacket on the right is of the later type.

Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Pict0210

Picture of the pants. The one with the exposed buttons is the earlier version.

Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Pict0211
    fanxiaojun
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2010-10-03
    Number of posts : 28

Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Empty Re: Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo)

Post by fanxiaojun Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:16 pm

oh ,it is a good thing because we hardly find mobutu,I have a early periods like the top one in this picture,my picture[img]Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) 100_1311[/img]
    I want to find the one under the picture,my cap in my picture is not a mobutu cap,my mobutu cap give my friend that time
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Empty Re: Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo)

Post by misanthropic_gods Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:52 pm

fanxiaojun wrote:oh ,it is a good thing because we hardly find mobutu,I have a early periods like the top one in this picture,my picture[img]Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) 100_1311[/img]
    I want to find the one under the picture,my cap in my picture is not a mobutu cap,my mobutu cap give my friend that time

That guy has some snazzy shoes!

Very cool uniform guys, I really like the Russkie pocket placement on their pants. That uniform looks pretty neat..If I ever stumble upon one I will know what to look for.

Thats REALLY weird about the Mobutu name thing....maybe they poisoned him with Polonium 214 gradually, and thats what gave him prostate cancer! lol! Just kidding
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

Post by nkomo Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:12 pm

fanxiaojun,
    Does your Mobutu uniform have any makers marks on the inside? Most of the ones I have come across do. Mine is one of the few that only has numbers on the inside instead of a makers name.

Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 419

Post by zvez Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:19 pm

A great video that Nat. Geographic made during the Soviet Afghan war, a camera crew travelled around with various soviet units, one segment had them with "spetznaz" (I suspect just paras), they were wearing this uniform on the helicopters, I had two versions of the uniform, one with grey snap buttons and one with black. I did note a few years ago that a russian company was reproducing these as well as the very rare Soviet mountain troops uniform (I want to say the company was red star but not totally sure).

Also, the uniform originally came with a field cap of the same lightweight fabric.
    CHris
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

Post by nkomo Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:28 pm

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Post by Camo_fiend Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:26 pm

misanthropic_gods wrote:That guy has some snazzy shoes!
    Funny story, actually... Russian troops have been documented wearing shoes similar to this, due in part to issued boots being uncomfortable. This started in the Afghan War of the late 70s to 1980s, with the old jackboots becoming extremely harsh on Soviet soldier's feet the longer they were worn in the unforgiving Afghan climate.

In fact there's a running joke on another forum about getting "official Spetsnaz Adidas".

Whether by tradition or just logistical shortfalls, it continues today as well. Laughing

Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) 411spetsnazdetachmentDaulatabadFara
    Soviet in the Afghan War wearing Adidas-type shoes.

Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) 4g4y34
    Unknown commando unit member wearing running shoes.

Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) IMG_9276
    Russian high-sensitivity personnel; note far right member's shoes.

Sorry to derail the thread, gents.

Carry on! Wink

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    fanxiaojun
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by fanxiaojun Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:04 pm

nkomo wrote:fanxiaojun,
    Does your Mobutu uniform have any makers marks on the inside? Most of the ones I have come across do. Mine is one of the few that only has numbers on the inside instead of a makers name.
    I will take a picture
    vicka1971
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-05-02
    Number of posts : 674

Post by vicka1971 Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:30 pm

Hi guys

I think you already know,that sport( runing) shoes light,comfortable. Easy to run/climbing. So those guys( soldiers) just got them at local bazzar( afghans market).The old "KERZACHI" they just left at base Cool Cool
    fanxiaojun
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by fanxiaojun Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:43 am

I have found but cannot find any marks on the inside ,but I took the photo of the tag when I bought this uniform.
    [img]Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Ac110[/img]
    [img]Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Ac210[/img]
    fanxiaojun
    Corporal
    Corporal

Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Empty About shoes

Post by fanxiaojun Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:33 am

Soviet spesnaz troops used soports shoes in afhanistan .Some pictures show that there are many kinds of sports shoes used during that time.I always want to find the Adidas originals which copy by the moscow shoes factory,we called it "moscow" shoes like my pictures

[img]Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Snapsh10[/img]
    the most famous soviet army film <9 rota>
    [img]Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Ab76b510[/img]
    one of my friend send from Germany,he said that this kind of shoes are still producted by shoe factory
    [img]Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) 9vpwjx10[/img]
    this shoes are one of my friend called "navy seal" get from foreign,he is a "big brother" to get many kinds of soviet militaies from all of the world,we all show respect to him,he is a rich man
    [img]Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Ccsez210[/img]
    2004 Beslan school hostage crisis Russian
    zvez
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 419

Post by zvez Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:07 pm

The two different sets I had only ever had cardboard tags as I recall.

Chris

fanxiaojun wrote:
    I have found but cannot find any marks on the inside ,but I took the photo of the tag when I bought this uniform.
    [img]Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Ac110[/img]
    [img]Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Ac210[/img]
    RetroRedRio
    RetroRedRio
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Rios
    Registration date : 2010-10-30
    Number of posts : 32

Soviet Mobutu Uniforms (originally posted by nkomo) Empty China gear

Post by RetroRedRio Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:30 am

During the Afghan-Soviet War all the Soviets got their Adidas from china. The blue colored ones were popular because they matched their blue Telnyashkas. Also during the mid point of the war and on. The conscripts started to wear the chinese AK chest rigs (first widley used in Vietnam), which they first saw the mujahideen wearing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 am