IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
nkomo
DS9ACU
6 posters

So I have this detached garage...

DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2009-07-15
    Number of posts : 530

So I have this detached garage... Empty So I have this detached garage...

Post by DS9ACU Sat May 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Last summer I finally began cleaning out my detached garage. It was a mess. This summer I am going to finish it. I just have to close up a few windows, patch a few leaks and put in electrical wires.
    So I have this detached garage... Img_7818

My original goal was to use it as a sort of mini film studio/workshop. Recently however I realized that there is a lot of space in there and with my obtained ability to create mannequins for next to nothing I want to put some uniforms on display. I have practically no room in my house for standing mannequins let alone the complaints I would receive for the rest of my family if I "annexed" areas. As spacious and cool my garage is their is one major problem, humidity. The garage is made of cinder blocks and that's really it. I know that humidity is a huge issue uniforms face. So does anyone have any advice on how I can bring the humidity down or make the garage a little bit more safe for some uniforms? I was thinking dehumidifier but that thing would be going 24/7. I am trying my best to close any and all holes/openings in the garage to try to adjust the humidity but its still not enough.

Below are some pictures of the inside so far.

So I have this detached garage... Img_7819
    So I have this detached garage... Img_7820
    So I have this detached garage... Img_7821

Again the ground is wet because it rained and there are about 3-4 small cracks in the roof which I am going to patch very soon.
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

So I have this detached garage... Empty Re: So I have this detached garage...

Post by nkomo Sat May 26, 2012 9:45 pm

So that is where you film a lot of your movies!

Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by DS9ACU Sat May 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Yup this is where the magic happens. That green cloth on the pole is my green screen.
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Sat May 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Very Nice , I am envious !!!
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Sun May 27, 2012 12:20 am

I have the same dilemna, Oliver. My new "war room" is going to be subterranean (underground basement). Humidity is always an issue here in Kentucky, so I am always dealing with problems concerning water. I have learned several things so far. Here we go....

1. Dehumidifiers are your friend. Laughing I have a dehumidifier running 24/7 in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. In the Summer months, I am emptying my dehumidifier TWICE daily. I get between 5 to 7 gallons a day out of my room.

2. Fans are also your friend. With fans, it creates a movement of air in the room. The fans help circulate the air and reduce humidity. Not to mention, fans create an environment that clothing moths hate.

3. Kilz Masonry Waterproofing Paint. Kilz Masonry Waterproofing paint is a wall paint that helps waterproof your walls. It acts as a sealant to prevent moisture from forming on the walls. I was VERY surprised at how well it works and how it really decreased the moisture level. Case and point....my parents had to move in with my wife and I recently due to their house having black mold. My dad is a collector of guns and had to move his extensive collection into our basement. We painted the walls of his "war room" with the Kilz paint and it reduced the humidity by a good 10%. You can find Kilz at about any Wal-Mart and it runs about $15 a gallon.

4. Rubber undercoating. Rubber undercoating is extremely good for sealing around windows. You'd be surprised at how much humidity/water can come in around the edges.

These are just a few of the many things I have learned over the years living in a high humidity area. There are many other things I can share, but won't bore you to death. Laughing I hope my pointers have helped you out. I am hoping Steve G. will chime in on this thread, as he is also an expert on curatorial issues. Your garage has a LOT of potential!

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Sun May 27, 2012 12:32 am

One other thought. I know dehumidifiers can be expensive as hell. Lowe's, Wal-Mart, and other retail stores sell them for about $200. I bought mine online (eBay) and paid a fraction of the cost of retail. Granted, it was a rebuilt dehumidifier, but it also cost me $45 and $21 shipping. A grand total of $76 delivered to my door. Something to think about.

Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Dale
    Registration date : 2009-11-22
    Number of posts : 345

Post by Mk1rceme Sun May 27, 2012 2:03 am

I just finished painting the interior of my new garage today. I already got it planned out where some extra militaria will be displayed...can't wait! Unfortunately I have a 1964 ford project in there that takes up a majority of the space.

Your garage has me beat for headroom that's for sure.
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Sun May 27, 2012 2:11 am

Mk1rceme,
    Excellent! I hope you can post some pictures of your area when you get a chance.

Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2012-04-23
    Number of posts : 626

Post by sh4pak Sun May 27, 2012 11:45 am

--Absolutely everything that Arch said is 100% true. I followed all of the same steps with my basement. The only thing I would add is that, in the case of extreme moisture, Drylock is a good paint option. It contains Portland Cement, which gives you a micro-seal in the block. Also, Hydraulic cement is a winner for patching larger holes. It sets quick, and sometimes requires a form, but it'll stop water cold.

--G'luck!
    DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by DS9ACU Sun May 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely look into paints to help keep the moisture out. If I get a dehumidifier I'm going to try to hook it up to a hose and just run the hose outside somehow so I don't have to keep emptying it.
    cairyhunt
    cairyhunt
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : steve
    Registration date : 2012-02-09
    Number of posts : 194

Post by cairyhunt Sun May 27, 2012 3:02 pm

sod the garage, just give me the split window VW (LOL) Shocked

Last edited by cairyhunt on Sun May 27, 2012 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell)
    DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by DS9ACU Sun May 27, 2012 4:04 pm

cairyhunt wrote:sod the garage, just give me the split window VW (LOL) Shocked

I'd sell it but I don't think the landlord wants to part with it, plus its been sitting in there since the early 70s. I pulled five seized motors out of it when I cleaned the place out. It's still a cool van though Cool
    cairyhunt
    cairyhunt
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : steve
    Registration date : 2012-02-09
    Number of posts : 194

Post by cairyhunt Mon May 28, 2012 11:42 am

SHAME! i think coming to get it could be a problem as well as im 6000 ish miles from you Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:07 pm