IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Portugese Trousers with Odd Stamp

nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

Portugese Trousers with Odd Stamp Empty Portugese Trousers with Odd Stamp

Post by nkomo Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:02 pm

Back in the early 90's after the Soviet Union break-up, Russia exported a lot of uniforms to the United States. You could go to gun shows and find piles of used Soviet uniforms ranging from camo to standard field uniforms.

One time I was going through a pile of Soviet uniforms and found this unusual pair of camo trousers. It didn't look like any Soviet pattern I had encountered, so I picked it up anyway for like $5. It wasn't until much later that Eric idenified these pants as being of Portugese manufacture. If I am not mistaken, he said they were 1980's manufacture (if I am wrong, please forgive me...Europe isn't my field of expertise). How they got to the Soviet Union is beyond me. It is pretty obvious these pants weren't "Made in USSR"! Just thought I'd share one of my camo oddities.

Portugese Trousers with Odd Stamp 01613

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Portugese Trousers with Odd Stamp Empty Re: Portugese Trousers with Odd Stamp

Post by nkomo Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Close up of the "Made in USSR" stamp. This uniform has been used hard and has several holes and rips.

Portugese Trousers with Odd Stamp 01711

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:22 pm

Is the cloth HBT? Buttons brown plastic? My guess is that they are, indeed, Portuguese. You'd be surprised how much oddball stuff winds up in the Eastern Bloc. A bunch of super rare Bundeswehr stuff wound up in Budapest's second hand markets for a few bucks a piece, while on German eBay they were rarely seen and going for $50 or more a pop. Makes no sense Very Happy

Steve
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:42 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Is the cloth HBT? Buttons brown plastic? My guess is that they are, indeed, Portuguese. You'd be surprised how much oddball stuff winds up in the Eastern Bloc. A bunch of super rare Bundeswehr stuff wound up in Budapest's second hand markets for a few bucks a piece, while on German eBay they were rarely seen and going for $50 or more a pop. Makes no sense Very Happy

Steve
    HBT- Yes
    Brown plastic buttons- Yes

Like I said, these pants have seen better days and have human grease stains that are common to many Soviet era uniforms. If you collect Soviet era uniforms, then you'll know what I'm talking about. Whoever had them, used them in the field.

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:44 pm

According to US import laws the manufacturing country of origin must be indicated on the garment. Ink stamps and adhesive labels appear to be the most common methods. My guess is someone got a big pile of stuff to import, had them all stamped, then brought them into the US. Still, it's a really strange trip for it to have traveled!

Steve
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:26 am

had them all stamped, then brought them into the US

God I hate this , I have a bunch of DDR stamped Made In East Germany , the sad thing is that they stamped in the worst possible place , front of canteens front of UTV suspenders , front of mag pouches , you get the idea , sucks !!!!
    Albano
    Albano
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-02
    Number of posts : 236

Post by Albano Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi

It's possible that those trousers are from portuguese origin. It's hell try to identify any portuguese gear from the past because dispite of the label OGFE and size number they have no other reference on it. But the pattern is similar to that used by portuguese forces in the african colonial wars and my guess is that some soviet military advisor used it in Angola in the 70's and when got home toke it with him.

best regards

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:16 am