IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
spukmeyer
CaptainForrest
ripcord
dee222
CollectinSteve
mylle
10 posters

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set

mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2302

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Empty My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set

Post by mylle Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:12 am

Since the prices for NVA Flächentarn are exploding in the same way as for the
    BW splinter stuff, I'm glad that I found this cool set.

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_4719

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_4715

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_4720

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_4716

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_4717

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_4718

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_4721

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_4722

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_4723

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_4724

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Empty Re: My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:41 am

A very nice one indeed!!  Here's some info for you in case you want it Wink

Your jacket is from what I've found to be the most common year of production (1963).  It has the very common modification for shoulder rank, which indicates it was used (or at least intended to be used) after 1965 when shoulder rank was adopted for field uniforms.  Production of this type of uniform ended in early 1964.  Yours is in top condition, well ahead of the average condition.  

Your trousers are from 1962, which is by my estimation the 3rd common year of production (1964 is the second).  Matching size and colors with the jacket, which is great!  Even with the soil on the knees the condition is towards the top end of the examples out there.

Each year of production had very minor differences, with the 1958 and 1959 versions being very different.  Sometimes these differences spanned more than one year.  Advanced collectors care about these things, the normal people do not because soldiers were issued mixed years and not matching years (i.e. a 1963 jacket and 1962 trousers is 100% OK!).  I have examples from every year 1958-1964 and some of the cross over ones because I am not normal Wink  I also have several spares because of color variations.

This means that prices can sometimes be affected by the year as well as condition, colors, and size.  The 1962 jackets are difficult to find in good condition for some reason and so they go for more money than something like 1963 or 1964.  Obviously the 1958 and 1959 items go for much more.

Steve
    dee222
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-04-03
    Number of posts : 90

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Empty Re: My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set

Post by dee222 Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi
    is there any chance you could post some of these various types , I remember when you could buy a set of these for £50 I wanted a set of these but couldn't afford the money then.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2823

Post by ripcord Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:31 pm

Good score for Alex,and good info from Steve...

I have lone trousers with absolutely no markings (that I can find) ...

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:42 pm

dee222 wrote:Hi
    is there any chance you could post some of these various types , I remember when you could buy a set of these for £50  I wanted a set of these but couldn't afford the money then.

Yup, they used to be much less expensive, however if you are patient you can pick up sets for reasonable prices. You just have to be patient!

Some day I'll get around to documenting all the tiny variations. But until then, you can get a lot of information (pretty much all, in fact) from this great website:

http://www.flaechentarn.de/index.htm

And then there's this thread here about equipment:

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t9943-documenting-flachentarn-blumentarn-equipment

ripcord wrote:Good score for Alex,and good info from Steve...

I have lone trousers with absolutely no markings (that I can find) ...

I've never seen an unstamped example, but I have seen ones with the ink effectively completely washed out. There's basically 4 types of trousers (plus the obvious FJ type) so at least you can narrow down the date range based on style.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:18 pm

Turned these babies inside out but could find no data.

Perhaps these were damaged prior to inspection and never stamped because trousers were rejected ?

They have definitely seen use, but colors remain vivid..Looks like some sort of encounter with bleach..

Despite the bleach encounter, it is still a very cool piece of camo ...that need a mate..

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Dscn4510

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Dscn4511

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:47 am

The trousers are worn enough to have the ink stamp totally gone.  The colors are what I would consider "good" or "solid", but significantly faded.  You can see it most with the brown color.

Black light might show some remains of the stamp.  It should be on the left front pocket interior (I think it's always? on that pocket).  Usually toward the waistband, but it can be pretty much anywhere on it.  I'm sure it was there at some point.

It is odd that you don't see any signs of it.  Generally speaking the stamps marks are pretty durable.  I do have a pair of 1959 trousers in front of me that have no obvious signs of a stamp. But I'm pretty sure I found some trace of one with good lighting and maybe even black light.

What you have could be late 1959 through 1964.  Unlike the jackets there aren't any significant features to tell what is what as far as I know.  The colors + odds say it's probably 1963 or perhaps 1964.

Steve
    dee222
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-04-03
    Number of posts : 90

Post by dee222 Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:29 pm

Thanks for the link Steve good one.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:35 pm

And thanks for the info as well...

S
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by mylle Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:28 pm

Found another nice Flächentarn jacket. Guess its from 1963 or 1964, the red stamp is
    already washed out even if the colors are still strong. The size tag in the collar shows a 1.

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_0140

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_0136

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_0139

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_0138

The quality control tag and the cord was in the pistol pocket:

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_0137
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Good colors ...and great condition..

Nice score Alex,

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:50 pm

Another very nice one! It looks like a 1963 stamp. One way to know (or at least be pretty sure) is to look at the lower hem adjustments. If it has the same exact system as your other 1963 jacket then it's pretty sure to be 1963 production. The hem adjustment is one of the things that varied from year to year (metal buckle, wood peg, and cloth are the three variants i can remember).

Steve
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by mylle Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:37 pm

Thanks guys, yes its a another nice example. Does somebody have an idea for what the
    cord could have been?
    CaptainForrest
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2015-06-21
    Number of posts : 133

Post by CaptainForrest Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:54 pm

i seen there use to be reproduction blumentarn been trying to find it but i guess they don't make it anymore.
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by mylle Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:10 pm

Yes, Miltec/Sturm made a repro set from the 1960 variant some years ago. But I guess they stoped producing it already.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:59 am

There was also a copy nearly identical in cut to the 1960-1964 type. The cloth might have been from Sturm, I don't remember. I bought a set for a friend of mine when they came out. Hmmm... 10 years ago? They show up on German eBay every once in a long while. Just enough that collectors have to be careful.

Steve
    spukmeyer
    spukmeyer
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Carlos
    Registration date : 2010-06-04
    Number of posts : 303

Post by spukmeyer Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:07 am

Excellent pieces.
    I've had a chance to buy a friend one of the ones made by Strurm and there's a lot of difference in the fabric and colors, but it's a good start for someone who does not want to spend a lot of money on an original one.
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by mylle Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Usually I don't collect gear but since the prices for Flächentarn-stuff are exploding I thought
    I should grab any piece I can get. The NVA stamp is still readable.

Magpouch for 3 AK magazines:

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_0336

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_0335

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_0334

austromunga
    austromunga
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-11-24
    Number of posts : 267

Post by austromunga Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:02 pm

That's a really nice looking pouch Alex!!!..collectable in its own right!!!
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1407

Post by Wolverine Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Indeed, nice piece Alex. I have also seen field packs, canteens, shelter halves, and drum-magazine packs in this pattern. Was there ever any other type for AK magazines?
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by mylle Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:07 pm

As far as I know there also was a 2 mag pouch in the same style as the 3 mag one and a 4 pocket pouch in the same cut and style as the later Strichtarn pouches.
    They made a lot of stuff in this pattern. Here is a link from the nice thread Steve made:

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t9943-documenting-flachentarn-blumentarn-equipment

Thats also a nice site which shows some of the gear.
    Just in German but the pics are good.

http://www.tierfreunde-luebben.de/113501.html
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1407

Post by Wolverine Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks for the link.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:40 am

Very nice condition 3 cell pouch! Nice crisp colors. Often they are the more muted variants.

Thanks also for the link to my thread. If anybody is looking for a Blumentarn mine detector, I have a spare with only minor issues.

Steve
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by mylle Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:02 am

Finally some Blumentarn pants that fit me:

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_1611

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_1612

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_1613

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set Img_1614
    spukmeyer
    spukmeyer
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Carlos
    Registration date : 2010-06-04
    Number of posts : 303

Post by spukmeyer Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:34 am

Congratulations.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:24 am