IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

USMC M52 flak jacket

michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 798

USMC M52 flak jacket Empty USMC M52 flak jacket

Post by michelwijnand Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:50 am

This body armor happened to pop up here in Holland, it could have just come here in a surplus import, could have been from Dutch troops in the Korean War,
    or could even have come here for use with the Dutch marine corps.
    They did use some versions of the USMC M55 vest, so I don't think it's impossible some of these made it here.

It has some usage, some loose seams, the rear buckle is partly torn from the vest body, there's a name marked inside (Dudley), but at least all the plates are there.

I might put in on an early Vietnam USMC loadout, as I have 1 or 2 photos of M52's still in use then, eventhough I'd rather have the more correct type 1 M55, so I
    don't know yet if this will be a keeper or if it'll go up for sale again.

USMC M52 flak jacket Dsc03740
    USMC M52 flak jacket Dsc03739
    USMC M52 flak jacket Dsc03738
    abefroman
    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 282

USMC M52 flak jacket Empty Re: USMC M52 flak jacket

Post by abefroman Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm

This is definitely an early Korean war model for the USMC. Don't think "Dudley" is a Dutch name but I guess we could have sold you guys used ones?
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 798

Post by michelwijnand Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Yeah it most likely (at least) started out as US used, maybe afterwards came to Dutch forces in some way or another, or maybe just randomly to Dutch surplus shops, no idea, seller has no idea on it's origins either.
    Not strange to see used foreign gear in use though, I'm sure most of the M55's that came here were used ones, many being exported here after the USMC replaced them with PASGT's already.
    Same with lots of fieldgear in the early 90's.

Heck there's even M1 frontseam helmets that were converted from fixed bale to swivel bale, got a chinstrap riveted on, and a nice Dutch darkgreen repaint, and did service into the 90's! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:48 am