IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
filupe
Zane
Easy Gee
Camo_fiend
8 posters

My First DPCU

Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

My First DPCU Empty My First DPCU

Post by Camo_fiend Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Well, I finally managed to get my hands on a set of DPCU! Not sure what series/issue it is, other than obsolete. Laughing
    There's ghosts of the Australian Army patch on the left shoulder, and of a nametape over the right breast pocket. Oddly enough though, there are no tags?

I'm just happy to have the uniform, I love this pattern!

My First DPCU 100_1850

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

My First DPCU Empty Re: My First DPCU

Post by Easy Gee Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:36 pm

As before Ben, very nice...I'm kinda jealous,it's on my wish list to add a bit of Ozcam to my collection,good on you Mate...she's a Beaut Wink
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks, Gary. It's quickly become one of my favourite sets, just because the pattern is so neat!

After losing the bid for a Russian uniform earlier that week, I went after this one with a vengeance; I wasn't going to lose 2 uniforms in one week! Evil or Very Mad

Zane
    Zane
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2010-06-10
    Number of posts : 28

Post by Zane Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:04 am

Looks good.
    What'd you get it for? Any pics of the pants?
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:19 am

I paid a bit more than I'd have liked, but it still wasn't too bad for $45. I can get some photos of the pants up later this week.

And for the record, I had no idea the Aussies manufactured the shirt in one fabric and the trousers in another, although the logic behind the trousers being in a thicker material due to facing heavier "wear and tear" conditions makes sense. I learned something new. study

Are the newer Land125 uniforms the same way, or is the uniform all in one type of fabric suitable for standing up to general wear and tear?

Zane
    Zane
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Zane Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:09 am

Camo_fiend wrote:And for the record, I had no idea the Aussies manufactured the shirt in one fabric and the trousers in another, although the logic behind the trousers being in a thicker material due to facing heavier "wear and tear" conditions makes sense. I learned something new. study

What you got there seems to be from different series. The thicker one would be earlier dated. The uniforms material is the same for pants and shirts, but the material used changed sometime before 2002. Cost savings and what not. Got to remember uniforms are made by the lowest bidder. Rolling Eyes

So it sounds like the shirt is Pre-Land125 and pants before the shirt. So not a "true" set, but aussies mix and match so it's all good, or use it as an excuse to get more auscam. Very Happy

filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:40 am

Camo_fiend wrote:
    Are the newer Land125 uniforms the same way, or is the uniform all in one type of fabric suitable for standing up to general wear and tear?

Land 125 uniforms are the same way i.e. a crossweave material for the shirt and a slightly thicker drill material for the pants.
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Thanks for all the info, guys! I'm by no means "done" getting AusCam...still gotta find some DPDU. Wink

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:07 pm

Camo_fiend wrote:Thanks, Gary. It's quickly become one of my favourite sets, just because the pattern is so neat!

After losing the bid for a Russian uniform earlier that week, I went after this one with a vengeance; I wasn't going to lose 2 uniforms in one week! Evil or Very Mad

I totally agree Ozcam will be an all time classic pattern...glad you got it at last......and it is a bummer when you miss out on something really exciting...especially by a couple of quid ( or in your case dollars of course)

Sometimes I still get mad afterwards...muttering to myself..."I would not have minded,paying an extra quid, the b*****ds, etc., etc." Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Still good things come to those who wait Wink Smile
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:56 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Sometimes I still get mad afterwards...muttering to myself..."I would not have minded,paying an extra quid, the b*****ds, etc., etc." Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I lost the other uniform by ONE dollar, I was extra-mad.
    And winning the OzCam was luck -- if I'd have gotten home 5 minutes later than I did to check the auction, I'd have lost. Laughing

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:14 pm

Camo_fiend wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:Sometimes I still get mad afterwards...muttering to myself..."I would not have minded,paying an extra quid, the b*****ds, etc., etc." Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I lost the other uniform by ONE dollar, I was extra-mad.
    And winning the OzCam was luck -- if I'd have gotten home 5 minutes later than I did to check the auction, I'd have lost. Laughing

Laughing Aha,so it's the same on the other side of the pond as here,from now on I'm staying glued to the computer until I win,win,win Laughing
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:38 pm

I've found that constant viglance = good results when it comes to eBay. Cool

Guessologist
    Guessologist
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Ben P.
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 282

Post by Guessologist Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:14 am

that and heaps of cash........

cheers,
    Ben.
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:00 am

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to surplus on eBay... once it gets above $40 or so I back off, unless I'm REALLY after it. And even then I stop myself at $60 for used uniforms. lol!
    eBay can indeed become a giant hole that one just pitches money into, that's for sure...

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Camo_fiend wrote:I'm a cheapskate when it comes to surplus on eBay... once it gets above $40 or so I back off, unless I'm REALLY after it. And even then I stop myself at $60 for used uniforms. lol!
    eBay can indeed become a giant hole that one just pitches money into, that's for sure...

Ben,
    Again I'm relating...I'm very much a tight wad...(A) cos i'm a sou'wester (B) 'cos my family is a drain ,on my dwindling resourses,damn them and their selfish needs Laughing Twisted Evil
    2ndAIF
    2ndAIF
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-10-22
    Number of posts : 146

Post by 2ndAIF Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Zane wrote:
    Camo_fiend wrote:And for the record, I had no idea the Aussies manufactured the shirt in one fabric and the trousers in another, although the logic behind the trousers being in a thicker material due to facing heavier "wear and tear" conditions makes sense. I learned something new. study

What you got there seems to be from different series. The thicker one would be earlier dated. The uniforms material is the same for pants and shirts, but the material used changed sometime before 2002. Cost savings and what not. Got to remember uniforms are made by the lowest bidder. Rolling Eyes

So it sounds like the shirt is Pre-Land125 and pants before the shirt. So not a "true" set, but aussies mix and match so it's all good, or use it as an excuse to get more auscam. Very Happy

No this is not right the pants are supposed to be made of a heavier/thicker material, I can just see them hanging on the hanger inside the shirt and they look alright to me, This has always been the case with Australian combat uniforms since ww2 to present day land 125 cut with exception of the "lightweight" JG combat trousers trialed in Vietnam in 1970 they ripped too easily and they quickly withdrawn and then we changed back to the heavier material. so yes mate the pants would be corret for the shirt as long as the side map pockets on the leg are square and not pleated on the front. $45 for a set in that condition seems like you got them at a fair price to me, And If you want to finish it off shoulder biscuits, name tapes and ranks are relatively cheap and easy to find up for these as well.

Regards Lucas
    Zane
    Zane
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Zane Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:26 pm

2ndAIF wrote:
    Zane wrote:

No this is not right the pants are supposed to be made of a heavier/thicker material, I can just see them hanging on the hanger inside the shirt and they look alright to me, This has always been the case with Australian combat uniforms since ww2 to present day land 125 cut with exception of the "lightweight" JG combat trousers trialed in Vietnam in 1970 they ripped too easily and they quickly withdrawn and then we changed back to the heavier material. so yes mate the pants would be corret for the shirt as long as the side map pockets on the leg are square and not pleated on the front. $45 for a set in that condition seems like you got them at a fair price to me, And If you want to finish it off shoulder biscuits, name tapes and ranks are relatively cheap and easy to find up for these as well.

Regards Lucas

Well there you have it. . . don't listen to my stupid ass. Very Happy
    When it comes to Auscam listen to an aussie. Smile
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:25 pm

It's all good -- this has been a learning experience for us all! Smile

Update: I found a VERY faded tag on the trousers, on one of the pockets, dated 1991. Solves the mystery of the pants, but I am completely stumped as to the shirt, since there's no tag at all I can find, but no traces of any tags being cut out either...

2ndAIF
    2ndAIF
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by 2ndAIF Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Zane wrote:

Well there you have it. . . don't listen to my stupid ass. Very Happy
    When it comes to Auscam listen to an aussie. Smile

Its all good mate, we're all here to learn, When It comes to Aussie gear I generally know my stuff, but any other country on the other hand............... Laughing
    2ndAIF
    2ndAIF
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by 2ndAIF Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:59 pm

Camo_fiend wrote:It's all good -- this has been a learning experience for us all! Smile

Update: I found a VERY faded tag on the trousers, on one of the pockets, dated 1991. Solves the mystery of the pants, but I am completely stumped as to the shirt, since there's no tag at all I can find, but no traces of any tags being cut out either...

I wouldnt worry too much about the tag, It would have been inside the shirt below the collar at the back, but its not uncommon to see the tags ripped out, It is generally done If It has the soldiers name and number written on it and he sells or gives it to one of his mates when he leaves the army or he sells it to the local disposal store.
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:19 pm

That must be what happened then, because I can't find a tag to save my life! lol!

2ndAIF
    2ndAIF
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by 2ndAIF Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:37 am

LOL.... Smile And Camo fiend, If you are chasing some DPDUs shoot me a PM I can put you on to a guy I know who should be able to help you out, probably be able to get you a good used set of Land125s for around $100au, was just talking to him today and Im pretty sure he said around $40 to $50 a piece depending on condition, I already have 2 sets myself, but hey there is always room for another at that price Laughing
    2ndAIF
    2ndAIF
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by 2ndAIF Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:43 am

.....Also just had a look at your cammo collection site good stuff mate I love the German flektarn shirt, reminds me of the ww2 dot pattern, I see this stuff accasionally in our local surplus store I must get a set one day, Also now you have your first Aussie uniform, time to make an Australian section on there!! Very Happy
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks for checking out my website, Lucas! I haven't updated it lately -- I am actually considering using a different site for my page, as there is a limit by my current site host in regard to the number of pages I can put on the site. Laughing

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Ben,

You did well with the $45 purchase. For some reason the prices of these things are all over the place. Sometimes very cheap, sometimes stupidly expensive. And that's just for the normal pre Land125 stuff. Look at what people will pay for 1980s experimental or Mk1 and Mk2 desert sets, not to mention the red OPFOR uniform. Insane prices are the norm for those. Land125 is very high priced because the Aussie MOD has made it illegal to let the kit out to the public. IIRC that started in 2004.

Missing tags, or completely illegible tags, are the norm for Aussie gear. The shirt's tag would have been just below the collar. You can probably see stitch holes if you look carefully. Also check the arms to see if there was any rank sewn directly onto the sleeves. Look for squares about 2x2".

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm